997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Software options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
This information has been posted before. However, I feel that it is pertinent here, so I will repost some of it. We have quite a few options for different hardware configurations. These options include the following:

GIAC Generation 2 Factory Intercooler software 91 octane (95 RON) w/full switching

GIAC Generation 2 Factory Intercooler software 93 octane (98 RON) w/full switching

GIAC Generation 2 Upgraded Intercooler software 91 octane (95 RON) w/full switching

GIAC Generation 2 Upgraded Intercooler software 93 octane (98 RON) w/full switching

There are specfic versions of each file for both Tiptronic and Manual vehicles. Addtionally, custom versions of the above files for vehicles with Light weight Flywheels or good quality free flowing headers are also available. Turbo back exhaust systems are recommended for all calibrations. However, all Exhaust Gas Temperature safeties are left intact to protect the turbochargers. I have attached some dyno charts of our latest calibrations and the gains that they make over stock.

GIAC Generation 2 software for manual 997T models:
<O
</O<O</O
<O
I have broken down the power gains over stock for each file below:

These are the gains our customers see over stock on 91 octane with factory intercoolers and most upgraded exhaust systems (our software will reduce hp output with exhaust systems that are a bit more restrictive).
</O
<O</O
<O

Adding Intercoolers to the same car and running our calibration specific for upgraded intercoolers yielded these results

</O<O

GIAC Generation 2 software for Tiptronic 997T models (upgraded IC only shown):

</O<O</O
<O

Again, I have broken down the power gains over stock for each run below:

</O</O
<O<O</O
</O<O</O
<O</O
<O</O
<O</O

From Andrew at GIAC's previous thread. "The benefits of the GIAC Flashloader system and how it incorporates goes beyond the ignition map switching that exists in most OEM programs today.

The GIAC Flashloader switching system, which includes a flashing cable and a handheld switching device, both designed and manufactured by GIAC, is one of the most advanced multi-performance flashing options on the market today. With our proprietary switching technology, the end user has the option to choose from a host of different settings and modes. Once the GIAC Flashloader Handheld (FHH) switcher, 91 or 93 octane performance and “stock” performance programs (the two programs and FHH are sold in a bundle as the base purchase option) have been purchased, our customers can choose to add any combination of the following options: race gas performance, "Valet" (which is a part throttle only, zero boost mode), and "Kill" (immobilizes the vehicle, even if the key is used). Customers may also purchase our Privacy Firewall which will lock their Flashloader Handheld switcher to their car with a password that is embedded into it, excluding all other Handhelds from switching modes on your vehicle.

With a touch of a button the DME can be switched from a pump gas program to a race gas or valet program within a couple of seconds, even with the engine running. Not only does the Flashloader Handheld device alert the end user that the switch was successful by lighting an LED on the button, but it can also read out the current mode on command. Seconds after pressing the read button, the LED will light to show the current or active mode. The speed at which the Flashloader Handheld switches can really save the day. Consider a customer handing their keys to someone to whom they do not want to grant performance program access.

As some of you may know, the 997T uses knock activity to determine fuel quality. The DME then uses this information to choose between four RON-dependent (octane) ignition maps from the factory. These maps are calibrated to take into account varying conditions and levels of premium fuel quality around the world. In fact, one could say that there has been some switching in most OEM programs for many years now, we have seen this since 1985. These maps are, however, closely grouped in terms of aggressiveness and cover a small range of octane levels. One way to offer tuning for race gas and pump gas with in a single program is to spread these four ignition maps farther apart. A tuner may calibrate the first map for 100 octane, the second for 93, the third for 91, and the fourth for that occasional bad tank of 91. If the customer is running a good quality and quantity of race gas and the knock sensors are quiet, then the DME will run on the 100 map. If the octane level is below 100 and/or the knock sensors register enough activity then the DME will kick down to the 93 map. There have been many tuners that have offered a wider range of octane adaptability by “riding” the knock sensors through the different timing maps. However, we have always sought to provide our customers with a more stable system.

GIAC has developed quite a bit more for the 997TT computer than just re-calibration of the factory ignition maps for adaptation to different octane levels. Because of our technical experience, skill and assets, we are able to completely disassemble, modify and reassemble all code within the DME. Since we are able to use GIAC authored micro-controller instruction code and functions in the DME, we are able to add more ignition and boost maps as well as additional functionality to the DME. In fact, we have four ignition maps for the stock mode as well as four for each of the two GIAC calibrations, race and pump. The benefits of this flexibility are that we have maps closely grouped around the target octane level. If a customer is running the race gas program on race gas but still gets some knock activity because of other conditions, like high ambient temp, the DME will kick down to one of the lower race gas maps rather then the 93 octane map in the example given earlier. Having 12 ignition maps also allows us to take advantage of much higher octane levels when customers want full competition files added to their switching options.

For the 997 Turbo, each mode was calibrated separately by GIAC. Our stock, pump and race gas modes are more than just ignition map differences. These are each complete calibrations. When a customer changes from our stock to pump or even to race mode, the DME is doing more than just changing which ignition maps it uses. Many current GIAC customers will notice that the boost changes as well between all three modes. Boost is higher on the GIAC race gas program vs. the GIAC pump gas program. When a customer changes to the stock mode, not only is the power stock, but the easy-to-read boost measurement on the dash will show stock boost.

If anyone has any questions about our Flashloader system, please feel free to contact me and or visit the following links."

http://www.giacusa.com/flashloader_handheld.php
http://www.giacusa.com/programs_flash.php
http://www.giacusa.com/downloads/fla...sermanual1.pdf

I have included a dyno chart below that shows both of these switching systems working in the real world on an AWE 750R equipped 997T. In this example, the vehicle makes 506 hp and 513 ft. /lbs. of torque at 4 wheels on 91 octane (95 RON) fuel. Simply changing the fuel to a higher octane on that same calibration yielded an additional 33 hp and 22 ft. /lbs. of torque at the wheels (539 hp and 535 ft. /lbs. of torque at the wheels). This was done via timing map switching built into the DME, there were no fueling or boost changes made. An option like this is great for a customer who wants power in between race and normal pump fuel power for use at the road course, where the additional torque our full race mode offers might not be desired. For those who wish to get everything from their modified 997T, you can see that simply pressing the Race mode button makes an additional 51 hp and 50 ft. /lbs. of torque at four wheels over running race fuel on the pump mode (84 hp and 72 ft. /lbs. of torque over pure 91 octane. These dramatic gains above even the timing map changes are executed with even more timing map options, race fuel specific air fuel ratios and more boost. For the end user, it’s just the push of a button.

<O</O

If you all like this type of information, I can make another thread and post everything I have in there.

Last edited by Andrew@GIAC; 03-28-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:55 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SVTHorsnake
I'm confused what these tunes offer. Has Porsche written its software to run richer than it needs to be safe? I don't see any of the tunes changing timing at all, and nobody offers cams, so apparently base timing is where it should be. Am I paying $2K to put my car into a lean condition or is there more to it than that?
I can't speak for all AM tunes but the one I have does not run lean. It is a very safe tune. Timing changes from pump 93 vs race file. You will feel greater throttle and boost response in general but especially at WOT where the tq/power comes into effect. It seems like some of the Euro based tunes prefer to run leaner and in some cases cause timing to be pulled likely due to inferior fuel. The initial investment in a good tune is the single best bang for your buck along with an exhaust.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:17 AM
Turbo GT is a jewel in the roughTurbo GT is a jewel in the roughTurbo GT is a jewel in the roughTurbo GT is a jewel in the rough
The EVO's dual switcher ECU works awesome - it is basically two separate ecu's - it can be switched real time with a switch - i have used it in cars with high out put where a dedicated map is needed - 1000 and up with race fuel - the other map can be used for pump so you can drive it to the store - Remember, tuning is more that WOT settings, you can have far more ignition timing at certain throttle positions and load that will give far better performence if done correctly - that is what takes the time when making the tune - i get 22-24 mph in my 996tt when cruising on the freeway - thats done by taking the time for performance and drivability - EVOMSit

Old 03-29-2011, 01:48 AM
Turbo GT is a jewel in the roughTurbo GT is a jewel in the roughTurbo GT is a jewel in the roughTurbo GT is a jewel in the rough
On Jags car on the pump file it puts out 760 hp 750 tq with 92 octane - drive to the store to get milk smooth even with a tilton clutch - switch it to performance file it will do 1108 hp 980tq on C16 - still can drive it to the store and get milk - thats good tuning - you can a factory switch that lights up when you switch it to the file of your choice - make sure it has a LIGHT!! so you visually know what file you are in - our performace race file raises the rpm to 1000 so you can visually hear and see by the tach what is switched on at idle - pump the idle goes to 750 or so - I would recommend a colored switch such as red or one that when put in race mode glows red and you have to push it it one direction or another with some effort - don't use a toggle because it can be touched to easily by some thing or some one while they are freaking out while you show them how bad *** your car is - it might even be you!! use a high quality switch not some cheap piece of crap - a 993 emergency flasher switch is an example - you have to push it one way to make it work and turn it off - it glows bright red when on and can mount in the dash area where you can see it when it is on - use a factory connector on the back - they attach with a locking clip and are the wire connections are protected - remember, its like a boost controler it does what you tell it to do so if you bone head out and use the wrong file with the wrong fuel it's on you

Old 03-29-2011, 02:27 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
As far as I can understand there is a huge difference in the EVOMS Dual mode "chip switching" and all the others. This option offers two Different EPROMs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPROM.
This means that they have installed two map microchips where they can use two completely different maps And shift from A to B from a switch.

This sounds as the most advanced ECU on the market.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:42 AM
It's like having two completely separate ecu's in the car - both maps use the complete stock mapping from factory with all of the safety and learing protocalls and are modified further down the line if you will to change the performance of the car - that way the tuning file can use all of the paramaters for fuel, timing and torque and many other things that the car uses for making it's adjustments - for example if it gets hot and your car determines that timing needs to be pulled back it will pull it back in precise amounts to keep the perforance at it's peak - some other tuning protocalls dont do that - plus it has a far better range to adjust for example fuel octane - works very well

Old 03-29-2011, 03:27 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
I have an extra ECU sitting in my garage, I might send it over for the twin chip modd. I need to know if Todd K will be able to access it and tune it for me

Old 03-29-2011, 03:45 AM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Austin@GIAC
he GIAC Flashloader switching system, which includes a flashing cable and a handheld switching device, both designed and manufactured by GIAC, is one of the most advanced multi-performance flashing options on the market today. With our proprietary switching technology, the end user has the option to choose from a host of different settings and modes. Once the GIAC Flashloader Handheld (FHH) switcher, 91 or 93 octane performance and “stock” performance programs (the two programs and FHH are sold in a bundle as the base purchase option) have been purchased, our customers can choose to add any combination of the following options: race gas performance, "Valet" (which is a part throttle only, zero boost mode), and "Kill" (immobilizes the vehicle, even if the key is used). Customers may also purchase our Privacy Firewall which will lock their Flashloader Handheld switcher to their car with a password that is embedded into it, excluding all other Handhelds from switching modes on your vehicle.,
great info presented in your post and thank you so much for taking the time and sharing such info with us. I would like to ask if someone does not want Valet and Kill mode. Basically only 2 maps one for pump gas and other for race fuel. can the ECU be programmed as fallow:

using the factory sport button to switch from pump map to race map

Normal mode: car act like factory sport mode with improved map for pump fuel
Sport mode: custom race fuel map.

can it be using that way and function like the flashloader?

Old 03-29-2011, 05:26 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by milou
I have an extra ECU sitting in my garage, I might send it over for the twin chip modd. I need to know if Todd K will be able to access it and tune it for me
Im sure Todd K could set up a dual chip inside the ECU. Maybe ask him.
He should be quickly able to tell you .

Old 03-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Flunati1 has a spectacular aura aboutFlunati1 has a spectacular aura aboutFlunati1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by cayenne_ksa
great info presented in your post and thank you so much for taking the time and sharing such info with us. I would like to ask if someone does not want Valet and Kill mode. Basically only 2 maps one for pump gas and other for race fuel. can the ECU be programmed as fallow:

using the factory sport button to switch from pump map to race map

Normal mode: car act like factory sport mode with improved map for pump fuel
Sport mode: custom race fuel map.

can it be using that way and function like the flashloader?
if im understanding u correctly...yes. I have the EVOMS 620/650 installed in my car, when running 100 oct just hit the sport mode button and your good to go... 650hp and 645 TQ

Old 03-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Austin, this is a STELLAR post.

For those that want an abridged version, let me point out highlights adding further proof that GIAC is working on a different level then the competion.

Turbo back exhaust systems are recommended for all calibrations. However, all Exhaust Gas Temperature safeties are left intact to protect the turbochargers.

The benefits of the GIAC Flashloader system and how it incorporates goes beyond the ignition map switching that exists in most OEM programs today.
The GIAC Flashloader switching system, which includes a flashing cable and a handheld switching device, both designed and manufactured by GIAC, is one of the most advanced multi-performance flashing options on the market today. With our proprietary switching technology, the end user has the option to choose from a host of different settings and modes. Once the GIAC Flashloader Handheld (FHH) switcher, 91 or 93 octane performance and “stock” performance programs (the two programs and FHH are sold in a bundle as the base purchase option) have been purchased, our customers can choose to add any combination of the following options: race gas performance, "Valet" (which is a part throttle only, zero boost mode), and "Kill" (immobilizes the vehicle, even if the key is used). Customers may also purchase our Privacy Firewall which will lock their Flashloader Handheld switcher to their car with a password that is embedded into it, excluding all other Handhelds from switching modes on your vehicle.

The next three points are very critical. Please let us know if you need further explanation. This will explain why a second ECU is unnecessary.

As some of you may know, the 997T uses knock activity to determine fuel quality. The DME then uses this information to choose between four RON-dependent (octane) ignition maps from the factory. These maps are calibrated to take into account varying conditions and levels of premium fuel quality around the world.
These maps are, however, closely grouped in terms of aggressiveness and cover a small range of octane levels. One way to offer tuning for race gas and pump gas with in a single program is to spread these four ignition maps farther apart. A tuner may calibrate the first map for 100 octane, the second for 93, the third for 91, and the fourth for that occasional bad tank of 91. If the customer is running a good quality and quantity of race gas and the knock sensors are quiet, then the DME will run on the 100 map. If the octane level is below 100 and/or the knock sensors register enough activity then the DME will kick down to the 93 map. There have been many tuners that have offered a wider range of octane adaptability by “riding” the knock sensors through the different timing maps. However, we have always sought to provide our customers with a more stable system.
we are able to completely disassemble, modify and reassemble all code within the DME. Since we are able to use GIAC authored micro-controller instruction code and functions in the DME, we are able to add more ignition and boost maps as well as additional functionality to the DME. In fact, we have four ignition maps for the stock mode as well as four for each of the two GIAC calibrations, race and pump. The benefits of this flexibility are that we have maps closely grouped around the target octane level. If a customer is running the race gas program on race gas but still gets some knock activity because of other conditions, like high ambient temp, the DME will kick down to one of the lower race gas maps rather then the 93 octane map in the example given earlier. Having 12 ignition maps also allows us to take advantage of much higher octane levels when customers want full competition files added to their switching options.

I have included a dyno chart below that shows both of these switching systems working in the real world on an AWE 750R equipped 997T. In this example, the vehicle makes 506 hp and 513 ft. /lbs. of torque at 4 wheels on 91 octane (95 RON) fuel. Simply changing the fuel to a higher octane on that same calibration yielded an additional 33 hp and 22 ft. /lbs. of torque at the wheels (539 hp and 535 ft. /lbs. of torque at the wheels). This was done via timing map switching built into the DME, there were no fueling or boost changes made. An option like this is great for a customer who wants power in between race and normal pump fuel power for use at the road course, where the additional torque our full race mode offers might not be desired. For those who wish to get everything from their modified 997T, you can see that simply pressing the Race mode button makes an additional 51 hp and 50 ft. /lbs. of torque at four wheels over running race fuel on the pump mode (84 hp and 72 ft. /lbs. of torque over pure 91 octane. These dramatic gains above even the timing map changes are executed with even more timing map options, race fuel specific air fuel ratios and more boost. For the end user, it’s just the push of a button.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Fastests 997.2TT with Softronic. All OBDII flashing, no brainer, dont worry about warranty, not much else to say. Do it once the best way!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-verified.html
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...k-special.html

BTW as a fact, recently 10 DFI Porsche cars were flashed through the port and were UNDETECTABLE by the PIWIS.