997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Rain & Shine at LS with RE-11s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:28 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Okay...08.08.11...92º+f at Thunderhill

Well ecthhead signed us up for a Thrunderhill date, and put us in a Point-By group and Chrono Group (open/time trials). At first I was a little concerned about the run times per session (only being 5/10x20 minutes...I'm accustom to 5/10x 30 minutes sessions), but if you have been reading my previous posts, you'll find 20 minutes seems to be the limit my RE-11s will allow. Which were yet again mounted to my vehicle...I'll get those R6's back on again, soon I HOPE! So upon the tech sheet I had to fill out (which I usually just check yes/ok without looking at the actual items, I decided to actually look this time...guess what, my rear pads were specing out at 0.35" which needed to be 0.5 or thicker. So, needless to say I was concerned about my pads all day. In fact I got flagged with the dreaded "Red Meatball" for sound... at TH....is that even possible? I have done sound checks at LS and have only blown a max of 102.9db (Tubi Race Exhaust). TH got me at 105db....what the fuc(<...didn't think that is even possible, when being consulted by the flaggers...my left rear disc started smoking/burning and they had me drive off to try and cool things down/put things out!

Needless to say I was bummed...I had to hunt down the sound booms and lift every session afterward in order not to get sent home for the day. As a prelude to this event, I have only been there once before, two years ago and it was EH's first time there. While exploring the local surroundings and nightlife....which is rather sparse...we stumbled upon a few entertaining highlights. One which is 16 miles outside of town (see attache image) Tried to order a martini there and got a glass of chilled water! The bar tender said it was on the house. He eventually found some vodka and made me a proper drink. Meanwhile in town EH sparked up a conversation with a 25 hour of Lemons participant who seemingly had a pretty hot set-up and had an end result of turning 2:14's. So EH and myself having little knowledge of the track had goal to hit...2:14 (up and over the hill vs the by-pass). Which we were able to conquer by our second/third session of the day (of a possible 10 sessions)....turning 2:10.5's & 2:11.3's...street cars and street tires....first and second time ever being there...we were satisfied considering our lack of knowledge and experience with TH.

I must say my RE-11's are amazing, especially in 20 minutes run groups...no issues of completely going bye-bye. In fact 12-15 minutes into my sessions I was able to turn my fastest times, with and without traffic. For 997 tt's these may be the ultimate dual purpose tires. Numerous track days and street miles and they are still performing better then any day I ever experienced in my MPSCUP's. I still have tons of tread life left on these as well. Probably twice that of what EH has on his MPSCUP's. After his first full day on his MPSC's he is rather happy and quite pleased with their performance. I have already gone through a set a MPSC's and for the price....I honestly have nothing positive I can say in regards to the Michelins (other then, over rated by street users and those with deep pockets that haven't explored other options). All-in-all, it was a great weekend and we are looking forward to signing up for another Chrono event with NCRC. Next track outing will be at Infineon in a few weeks, next weekend highlight will be this weekend at the Monterey Historic's.

Time for new pads (Pagid RS19's), oil change, and possibly fresh brake fluid.

Couple vids and statics of speed captures going in and through a few of the faster sections.

To the right was "Club Butte" boarded up windows and the name was painted on the building with a 2 inch wide paint brush in black by hand...a classic that begged for us to inquire within.

^^ Front straight going into turn one.

^^ Highspeed T8 our goal was to not touch the brakes before entering here...don't think we were able to master that one yet!

^^ I was actually surprised at the speed we were traveling going into this hard left turn with a blind up and over at the crest!

^^ and another very fast entry/approach for a 90º left hander. (well for us).

...and two vids...first one Mark is leading and I am following, second he is following me. Complements of Harry's Lap timer an a iPhone...enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5enqK3nY0BU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfWwqDET_XI

Last edited by VID997; 08-15-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:07 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VID997
RE: 06.13.2011
So, it was yet again the RE-11's. After several events these tires have proven to be very consistent in their performance and lack of. 20 minutes seems to be it. I have been able to get 22 minutes in point-by groups and then they start to fall off, but I can still drive at a good clip for the last 8 minutes or 4 laps.
This is pretty much what I find as well. Great tire that warms up quickly but after 20 minutes it just starts sliding.

^^^ Turn 11 at Thunderhill [/quote]

I wonder if the RE-11's couldn't use a little stiffer side-wall as well. Look at how the tire is rolling under your right rear rim.

I would love to use RE-11's on my street wheels but my GT2 rear wheel is 12" and the widest size they offer is only 305 and it's slightly narrower that most other 305's. I don't think the tire would stay on the 12" rim in a hard cornering situation.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:30 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
^^ Hey Barry, hope all has been going well. Actually that picture above is from the first time I went to TH and I believe those were Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's. Not sure how the RE-11 305's would fit on the 12's...I'm pretty sure my MPSCUP's were 305's and I ran those on my OEM GT2 12" rims. Fit seemed okay, just hated the performance they had to offer for the price.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:14 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VID997
^^ Hey Barry, hope all has been going well. Actually that picture above is from the first time I went to TH and I believe those were Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's. Not sure how the RE-11 305's would fit on the 12's...I'm pretty sure my MPSCUP's were 305's and I ran those on my OEM GT2 12" rims. Fit seemed okay, just hated the performance they had to offer for the price.
It's been quiet on the car front as we don't do much (DE or AX) during the summer. I spend all my time on the golf course.

If you look at the specs on the 305/19 RE-11 you'll see they have about 1" less tread width than the same size Michelin PS2. The Michelin also has a very stout side-wall and I am not sure about the RE-11.

You may well be right in that it will fit the same but my next set will probably be Toyo R888's. I want to give those a try.

BTW, do you have any plans to get back down this way?

Old 08-15-2011, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by salerno713
come on fellas, we need to set up a big track event for all of us... the last local porsche concours didnt cut it quite enough...

P.S re-11s are on my evt775 rain or shine +1 for the best tires!!!!!

Yeah, concours is good for walkin' and tracks days are good for drivin'! You could always drive out here and join us for a track day!

ya, ya, ya...I know its a long drive If you ever make it out here just give us a PM and we'll see if we can make something happen. Cheers!

Old 08-15-2011, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo
It's been quiet on the car front as we don't do much (DE or AX) during the summer. I spend all my time on the golf course.

If you look at the specs on the 305/19 RE-11 you'll see they have about 1" less tread width than the same size Michelin PS2. The Michelin also has a very stout side-wall and I am not sure about the RE-11.

You may well be right in that it will fit the same but my next set will probably be Toyo R888's. I want to give those a try.

I was looking into the R888's as well but couldn't find any in stock at the time when I was buying new tires, thus the R6's & RE-11's because of availability.

RE: UPCC...not sure when, but would love to stop by next time I'm there. I'll keep you posted on any up coming trips in that direction.

Cheers!

Last edited by VID997; 08-16-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:00 AM
OMG, OUCH! Ecthhead's latest posting...note 1:14 into the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNkUhMeX18A

Old 08-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Darin,

Didn't you say the video app you are using is Harry's Laptimer? I was looking at it and the pictures of it on the AppStore don't look anything like what you show.

Does it just overlay the data on your video? Any other processing required?

After investing in 2 GoPro's, CyberLink video s/w, and a new i7 laptop to process video s/w I am amazed at how good your videos look from your iPhone. If I can do the same on my 3GS I may sell the GoPro's.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
I am using the app on my 4G which shoots in HD. So all you need is the 4G, Harry's Lap Timer Pro and a decent mount. I went with the TomTom mount as it has it's own built in GPS to improve my signal.

Several options on the program, but I just use Timer with Video. Once lap is done just click Overlay and it sends the file to your Pictures folder where you can post direct to YouTube. I'm doing EVERYTHING from the iPhone4.

Whole system is cheap and when compared to out Chrono times it's accurate to .01 sec!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:48 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Etchhead
I am using the app on my 4G which shoots in HD. So all you need is the 4G, Harry's Lap Timer Pro and a decent mount. I went with the TomTom mount as it has it's own built in GPS to improve my signal.

Several options on the program, but I just use Timer with Video. Once lap is done just click Overlay and it sends the file to your Pictures folder where you can post direct to YouTube. I'm doing EVERYTHING from the iPhone4.

Whole system is cheap and when compared to out Chrono times it's accurate to .01 sec!
Very impressive. Does the app have the track templates or do you have to run the course first?
Can I assume you have the 'Pro' version?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:11 PM
RE: iPhone & Harry's Lap Timer.

So Mark and I had rented AMB Transponders for the CHRONO Series which are $499 for a little RF pick-up device that you ziptye to your car. Mark would DL his lap times after each session (on his phone) and we would look at them as we were walking to time & scoring and it is truly amazing...+/- 0.01 every time, every lap. We were joking about it because when you think about the concept...3 or more satellites orbiting around in space, beaming data packets back down to a cell tower, and then going through a cell service provider to a cell phone in a car cruising around a race track close to 100mph ...and it was that accurate. Technology is amazing!

Last edited by VID997; 08-16-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Yes the app has hundreds of tracks already mapped out from all around the world. I just pre-downloaded my tracks (for free) with the app and it figures everything out for you based on GPS feeds. Truly amazing- and all this from a phone!

Old 08-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by ruf_turbo

Hey Barry,

There is a little tire sidebar conversation going on regarding tires and sizes at the link below. You might find something interesting there or wish to add input:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3294418

Old 09-12-2011, 01:21 AM
Infineon 09.10.2011, more to come....

The R6's were back on FINALLY!

Old 09-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Hoosiers all mounted up and Etchhead sporting his new Cool Carbon gear for all to see, including a Cool Carbon shirt he wore all weekend...he'll have to do a little Cool Carbon write-up now to seal the deal : )

Prepped and awaiting our first session of the day....which ended short due to a broken wheel axle on a Spec Miata coming out of T3...which I almost t-boned... abit of a moment, to say the least.

Last edited by VID997; 09-12-2011 at 04:12 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rain & Shine at LS with RE-11s