997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Quick question for the 3 pedal turbo guys...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Your question was whether to go with logic or emotion...

My two cents: we buy these cars with EMOTION.

Go with what you really love. I personally enjoy rowing through the gears, the feel of the clutch, the thrill of the shift. PDK is not for me, but that's just me. Plenty of folks love it.

I've driven the F430 F1 and 6speed and loved both. If I bought one (not going to) I'd get a 6speed.

I drive the 09 Turbo Cab in city and hwy/mountains, etc...and don't have any issues. Well, right now my left foot is in an ortho-boot as I tore some tendons, so the turbo is on a battery tender for a couple weeks. Damn.

But I loved shifting the 6speed so I bought the 6speed. If you've driven both, and find the PDK wrinkles sort themselves out, and the PDK is more to your liking, then get it.

If, on the other hand, you enjoy shifting the stick, 6speed it is.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Jeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of light
Eric said it best, that is perfect advice.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SVTHorsnake
This got diverted, but there's two votes for a leaky clutch solenoid from those on point...
What is a clutch solenoid on a 6sp manual?

Last edited by speed21; 03-30-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:38 PM
ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !ruf_turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gmoney
Ive heard of this before, but my 6 speed (with factory ss) has been flawless, no such issues. It was a wee bit notchy until the 2k mark but after that its pretty good.
+1. I have the same setup with the factory SS, and I have no problems getting into first *IF* I'm going slow enough (<20mph) or if I rev match, then as high as ~30mph. Any higher and I would be getting too close to the top end of rev range.

I think you have a minor synchro problem with your box.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:17 PM
tri
tri is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by speed21
Fwiw, the NA .1/.2 cars have an Aisin gearbox whereas the .1/.2 turbos have the Getrag...different manufacturers. But both boxes don't like going into first if you are moving.
Thanks speed21, that's what I was looking for... The scenario you describe basically sums it up for me. But so far it doesn't sound like the turbo tranny share the same problem as the NA tranny since folks are describing trying to get into first gear while moving... which you'll definitely have to rev match to do so.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:34 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tri
Thanks speed21, that's what I was looking for... The scenario you describe basically sums it up for me. But so far it doesn't sound like the turbo tranny share the same problem as the NA tranny since folks are describing trying to get into first gear while moving... which you'll definitely have to rev match to do so.
Incidentally, the replacement transmission was fine.....no problem in selecting first from standstill and felt a bit better shifting from 3rd down to second, and up the other way. I'm sure dealer will probably maintain your problem is normal but you should formally lodge the complaint in the event it fails outside of warranty. The other thing you should have them do is check your RMS using a bore scope through the housing. If the clutch has any form of slight shudder that can also mean an issue there. Whilst separate from the gearbox issue it is somewhat interelated because if the clutch isnt declutching or releasing the C/plate perfectly due to a warped P/Plate it will work the synchros harder and therefore wear them and heat them up faster....particularly on the lower 2 gears.

On the turbo, as ruf points out you can rev match but rev matching first doesnt always do it. Best to be at virtual standstill b4 selecting first otherwise just slip clutch gently and maintain second if the car is still rolling slightly.The engine has enough torque. Btw i find the turbo tranny has a slightly more solid feel in the shift in comparison to the C2S and is very pleasurable to use....as is the C2S...but the tt does have a slightly more purposeful feel to it. I use mine as a DD and love it and wouldnt swap it for a PDK although my wife would like me to.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:05 AM
MorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really nice
just kick the clutch out once and back down it should go into 1st if you get lockout

Old 03-31-2011, 10:02 AM
JG-00 is infamous around these parts
Back to the original question, 6 speed (emotion) or PDK (logic)

Driving the turbo is emotion, there is very little in the way of logic that I have discovered with this car. Although it is the tamest of beasts if you want to drive it gently. I backed into buying my turbo and never really considered the PDK because one was not available when I was ready to buy. It was a spur of the moment decision, there goes that emotion thing again.

In the ensuing months, there was second guessing about not waiting for a PDK. The precision rev matching, the unbeatable 0-60 launches, the unmissed shifts etc. etc. Then I drove a loaner with PDK for several days and really tried to get the full PDK experience ... While it was an awsome transmission I found it bland compared to manual P-car driving. For me driving a turbo is an engaging emotional experience, every time (I don't track or DD the Turbo). In this regard the 6 speed works for me and there is no more second guessing.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:23 AM
hywy one is infamous around these parts
Agree w/jg-oo

Driving a 6 spd near your limit, is a truly an ALIVE experience. Isn't it wonderful to have the ability to multitask as you scream up Mulholland or Highway 1. In this day of digital enhancements, having a 6 spd is old school, but given a choice, it's the only way to go!
Btw, how often do you use your launch control anyway?!

Old 04-01-2011, 02:44 AM
tri
tri is infamous around these parts
Thanks for all the advice guys. It was a nice SoCal day today so I went for a test drive in a PDK turbo - for the third time in the last 3 months. I was really trying to dig deep in to see if I can some how enjoy it. I drove it mostly in manual mode. I kept the rev around 4-6K rpm as if I was driving my own car semi-enthusiastically. I think JG hit it right on the spot, some how the car just felt numb or bland... that and always having to look at the gauge cluster to see what gear i'm in ruined it for me. Granted part of it was because of the steering, the weight (it was a turbo cab whereas mine is an NA coupe), and the wobbly stock suspension (I have Bilstein PSS10 lowered to euro GT3 spec) The sensation just wasn't there... I guess I will be sticking with 6speed and see where it takes me. Thanks guys.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:14 AM
M9L
M9L is infamous around these parts
Same problem 997 TT 07, need to be below 15 mph to shift into first, really annoying in crawling traffic so I just keep in 2nd most of the time. No issues from standstill.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:23 PM
Rodbuster is infamous around these parts
My C4S seemed to be touchy at times going into first, but the Turbo Cab seems to have no problems. I wonder if the power-assisted clutch could play any part in that? For me, the 6 speed really enhances the driving experience!

Old 05-11-2013, 05:46 AM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
My 997.1 turbo has never had that issue but I too recall reading about faulty selenoids--worth checking into if someone is having issues.
I love my 6speed. No doubt the pdk is faster, but if that bugs you, then that's what mods are for.