997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Quick question for the 3 pedal turbo guys...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:56 AM
tri
tri is infamous around these parts
Quick question for the 3 pedal turbo guys...

I got my 997.2 last year and I ran into the tough decision of going PDK or manual. The PDK box is great, but when I was in a manual, I felt at home. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it just felt "good" to go through the gears yourself.

Fast forward to a year of ownership, the only gripe I have about the gear box is that it locks me out of first occasionally. Actually the frequency is almost predictable to the point that I mostly shift to second before going to first just to be safe... Sometimes even when I do that, it still locks me out of first for a few seconds or until i give it just a little bit of gas and it pops right in. It's quite irritating. I believe many other NA owners share this same problem and I was curious if turbo owners experience the same.

I'm ready to move to a turbo and the only thing that's holding me back is the decision of going PDK or sticking with the 3 pedals. PDK is nice and I'm sure I'll enjoy the change but a big part of me wants to stick with the 6 speed. However, if I still have to put up with this crap, I'd rather go for the PDK box and enjoy everything else that comes with it. Do I go with logic or emotion?

Many thanks in advance.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:47 PM
SVTHorsnake is infamous around these partsSVTHorsnake is infamous around these parts
THIS IS JUST MY GENERIC MECHANICAL KNOWLEDGE, I'm sure the Porsche experts will chime in:

If you're still moving when you try to go into 1st, locking you out of first is a safety mechanism, but you shouldn't be trying to shift to 1st when you're moving anyways. If you're stationary, shifting to 2nd before going to first isn't helpful because modern transmissions have syncros.

If you're stationary and you're still locked out, your transmission has a problem, or it's really cold outside.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:52 PM
tri
tri is infamous around these parts
The scenario described above is when I'm at a complete stop.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:15 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Ive heard of this before, but my 6 speed (with factory ss) has been flawless, no such issues. It was a wee bit notchy until the 2k mark but after that its pretty good.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:18 PM
SVTHorsnake is infamous around these partsSVTHorsnake is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tri
The scenario described above is when I'm at a complete stop.
I had a faulty clutch solenoid that leaked fluid so the clutch wouldn't fully disengage on full depression. Naturally, the higher the gear, the easier it would be to get into on partial disengagement. It got to a point where I lost 1st altogether, and that's when I took it in for warranty work. Apparently, this was a regular problem on the 997.1s. I don't know if it's been resolved on 997.2s.

It didn't start happening consistently though. I noticed it was more prevalent on cold starts.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:29 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Also have never heard of this. My 997.1 Turbo, also with factory ss, never had such a problem. I could easily shift into 1st while rolling to a stop. I also like shifting and traded my '08 a few weeks ago. This will be the first time in 40 years I have not had a manual transmission car. While I love to drive our '11 Turbo S with PDK, it's just not the same.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:30 PM
John8809 is infamous around these parts
Ditto on the clutch solenoid leak. Found while in the shop for routine maintenance. Always thought the clutch was a bit touchy. Smooth as silk now. 2007 997.1 turbo

Old 03-30-2011, 01:36 PM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute
Hi!

I have a 6spd 997TT, the gearbox is nearly perfect, no issue...
I only can say my 993TT gearbox is a bit more sharp, no cables.

I bought a SMG2 M3 too, this gearbox is not as good as the PDK, ok, but I do not feel the same "sharing" with the car and engine than with manual tranny...
Ok, confortable, fast, easy shifting, but good for "play-station" generation, not for me... (40 this year!)

My little 0.5... Euro

Old 03-30-2011, 02:02 PM
CaptnCrash is infamous around these parts
We have a 2011 911TT 6spd and it's not an issue. My wife uses it as her DD and has zero issues. She used to complain about her Cayman 5spd all the time, and I never had an issue with that one either.

--CC

Old 03-30-2011, 02:32 PM
TT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud of
I have a 2011 997.2TT 6-spd. Love it. I have the Porsche SSK as well. Tracked it 2 weeks ago and it was the most fun I've ever had on 4 wheels.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:06 PM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
I also struggle to shift into first while moving at very low speed (under 15mph). It's noticeably more difficult when cold. I tend to think this is a safety thing but who knows. No leaks etc. so far.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:06 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
I recall having the same problem in my 997S.1. You'd be stopped at a set of lights in neutral, go to select 1st and it wouldn't go in. Would happen every second or third stop....like a lucky dip. You'd have to declutch and retry and then it would go in, but sometimes would feel a little notchy, as if the gear isnt being selected 100% home. It was very annoying as when the lights turned green youd be left to quickly declutch and try again. The box eventually developed a clicking sound a while later while crawling along in 1st. Took it in and was told the box had to be replaced. The turbo is fine. Feels more solid in the transmission. Goes into first every time but you need to be at a virtual standstill or it feels a little forced when you go to select if you are still moving slightly.. You are really always better off only downshifting to first once you have stopped anyway.

Fwiw, the NA .1/.2 cars have an Aisin gearbox whereas the .1/.2 turbos have the Getrag...different manufacturers. But both boxes don't like going into first if you are moving.

Last edited by speed21; 03-30-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:46 PM
This got diverted, but there's two votes for a leaky clutch solenoid from those on point...

Old 03-30-2011, 06:00 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
Try lifting off the clutch just a bit...not to the point you would expect it to engage, just a little off the floor.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Jeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of light
On second 997TT both with 6sp and factory ss, both were cranky going into first if moving and sometimes at a light. 997.1 got better at around 3-4K miles and my 997.2 has so few miles it's still a little stiff. Really enjoy the mt though, as you said it feels great going through the gears and hitting a perfect downshift. I think the 6sp is worth it, forces you to always be involved. Stick with the stick!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Quick question for the 3 pedal turbo guys...