997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Service light vs non-factory 997.1 turbo exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 06:35 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
CEL are something that you will encounter on modern cars for a variety of reasons, even in totally stock form. It would be a small investment ~$100 to add an OBD code reader/scanner to your tool box. Most will decipher the codes, allow you to clear the CEL, and also tell you if you are going to pass an state emissions/inspection test. I bought an Actron 9180 off of eBay for ~$80. There are newer versions that also do data logs on all the active engine sensors as well.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:53 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by eclou
CEL are something that you will encounter on modern cars for a variety of reasons, even in totally stock form. It would be a small investment ~$100 to add an OBD code reader/scanner to your tool box. Most will decipher the codes, allow you to clear the CEL, and also tell you if you are going to pass an state emissions/inspection test. I bought an Actron 9180 off of eBay for ~$80. There are newer versions that also do data logs on all the active engine sensors as well.
Sounds like a tremendous idea. I have an infamous 0430 code on a cat or sensor. Not sure which yet. 997.1 turbo runs fine. Seems like such a waste to replace one or the other(warranty covers this epa crap to 80k miles or 7 years), however I would like to simply turn the code off when i replace with a Europipe system. If it is an 02 sensor, it will still read bad with the new Europipe. I'll look for a Antron 9180. Can you just plug it in the slot under the dash?

Old 04-06-2011, 09:54 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
EP1 zero CELs, ever.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:50 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
I bought an Actron 9180 off of eBay for ~$80. There are newer versions that also do data logs on all the active engine sensors as well.
Thread jack...sorry OP.
How does it stack up against the durametic diagnostic tool? I noticed it comes in a cheaper pocket sized hand held unit as well.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Qualeek has a spectacular aura aboutQualeek has a spectacular aura aboutQualeek has a spectacular aura about
Wow, has anyone ever had a cat go bad on a car before? I sure as hell have seen it, Im a dealer tech and see it from all aspects. OEM cats go bad......aftermarket cats go bad. Its not a perfect world. Personally I have never had any of the aftermarket cats "directly" cause a CEL, but keep in mind ive installed maybe 50 or so aftermarket exhaust systems in my years at this dealer, compared to the thousands of OEM ones on cars out there. So the odds are no one has seen them fail. Point im making is, its a product mass produced in an imperfect world. You wanna play with that stuff, please do. Its awesome and there are really good systems out there, but even those fail..........gaurenteed If one craps out, replace it and move on. Have fun, live life and dont sweat the BS. That CEL is gonna be a slight annoyance if it comes on , will probly be rectified quickly and if my memory is still working these days, OEM cats have a 8 year 80,000 mile warrenty on them, yeah, pretty long. So that tells me if a aftermarket cat is gonna go bad, (even Europipe) its gonna probly take a while.
I like the Europipe, great visual quality and really great sound. A bit pricy in my opinion but hey, its not my money. Ive done that kit and others, and I really hate having to tell my clients that there is POSSIBILITY that it may cause a CEL. I tell them because it can and will happen one day. And trust me, there are cases of exhaust systems causing issues on Porsche turbo cars, this is FACT!!!! Rare, but fact. So I believe your dealer tech is right and wrong. He needs to warn you on the issues that are possible to occur and honestly you should be thankful of that. But also he has to have a clear understanding that if he has seen "service lights ablazing" and no one else has, maybe he should check his work. But then again, what do we know, were just dumb dealer guys....

Old 04-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Former Vendor
stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnww
Sounds like a tremendous idea. I have an infamous 0430 code on a cat or sensor. Not sure which yet. 997.1 turbo runs fine. Seems like such a waste to replace one or the other(warranty covers this epa crap to 80k miles or 7 years), however I would like to simply turn the code off when i replace with a Europipe system. If it is an 02 sensor, it will still read bad with the new Europipe. I'll look for a Antron 9180. Can you just plug it in the slot under the dash?
Resolve the 0430 CEL problem before you go for an aftermarket exhaust.

Switch the left O2 sensor with the right O2 sensor first. If you get the 0430 CEL on the other side then the sensor is bad. If you get the 0430 CEL on the same side then the cat is bad.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:42 AM
Former Vendor
stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !stef@europipe Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Qualeek
I like the Europipe, great visual quality and really great sound. A bit pricy in my opinion but hey, its not my money.
Thanks for your comment. The prices you'll pay for European products go up and down along with the dollar/euro exchange rate. Currently the euro is strong and the dollar is weak for whatever reason that is. If the euro and the dollar were equal like they used to be then I could drop the dollar prices of our exhausts with over 40%.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:09 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Wow, has anyone ever had a cat go bad on a car before? I sure as hell have seen it, Im a dealer tech and see it from all aspects. OEM cats go bad......aftermarket cats go bad. Its not a perfect world. Personally I have never had any of the aftermarket cats "directly" cause a CEL, but keep in mind ive installed maybe 50 or so aftermarket exhaust systems in my years at this dealer, compared to the thousands of OEM ones on cars out there. So the odds are no one has seen them fail. Point im making is, its a product mass produced in an imperfect world. You wanna play with that stuff, please do. Its awesome and there are really good systems out there, but even those fail..........gaurenteed If one craps out, replace it and move on. Have fun, live life and dont sweat the BS. That CEL is gonna be a slight annoyance if it comes on , will probly be rectified quickly and if my memory is still working these days, OEM cats have a 8 year 80,000 mile warrenty on them, yeah, pretty long. So that tells me if a aftermarket cat is gonna go bad, (even Europipe) its gonna probly take a while.
I like the Europipe, great visual quality and really great sound. A bit pricy in my opinion but hey, its not my money. Ive done that kit and others, and I really hate having to tell my clients that there is POSSIBILITY that it may cause a CEL. I tell them because it can and will happen one day. And trust me, there are cases of exhaust systems causing issues on Porsche turbo cars, this is FACT!!!! Rare, but fact. So I believe your dealer tech is right and wrong. He needs to warn you on the issues that are possible to occur and honestly you should be thankful of that. But also he has to have a clear understanding that if he has seen "service lights ablazing" and no one else has, maybe he should check his work. But then again, what do we know, were just dumb dealer guys....
If I follow that logic then the tech should tell the customer that an exhaust system may cause a CEL whether it's aftermarket or OEM, correct? Or maybe just a general warning that at some point in the life of your car you'll get a CEL.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:00 AM
Qualeek has a spectacular aura aboutQualeek has a spectacular aura aboutQualeek has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
If I follow that logic then the tech should tell the customer that an exhaust system may cause a CEL whether it's aftermarket or OEM, correct? Or maybe just a general warning that at some point in the life of your car you'll get a CEL.

Yes. You hit it dead on. I just don't want anyone to think that just because of what brand u use means you'll never have an issue. It's not a fair asumption. And trust me from experience early on in my career, if I dont warn of potential failures, and they happen, I'm the bad guy.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:59 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by stef@europipe
Resolve the 0430 CEL problem before you go for an aftermarket exhaust.

Switch the left O2 sensor with the right O2 sensor first. If you get the 0430 CEL on the other side then the sensor is bad. If you get the 0430 CEL on the same side then the cat is bad.
Am I wrong, but doesn't the back bumper have to be removed to exchange these 02 sensors?? Seems like a lot of bother (but a perfect time to install after mkt exhaust) when you could block 0430 as mentioned using an OBD code reader scanner especiallly if warranty has expired.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Johnww
To answer your question about the bumper, I have a DIY client who installed his exhaust on his turbo without taking the bumper off. And in doing so he needed to undo the o2 sensors. So i would say it is possibly to do it like that. I don't have the luxury of tinkering on my clients vehicle to see if I can. So I do it by the book, remove the bumper and intercoolers, move the heat shield out of the way and have a clear workable area. Its actually very simple and really not a lot of work. But you are correct, installing the new system then is the best time.
As for your P0430, just to clarify, a OBD scanner will not "block" the code. It will simply read and allow you to clear it. Once cleared the system will continue it's tests of all the OBD monitors including cat efficiency. And if it sees it has failed it's tests the dme will set the light again.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by stef@europipe
Thanks for your comment. The prices you'll pay for European products go up and down along with the dollar/euro exchange rate. Currently the euro is strong and the dollar is weak for whatever reason that is. If the euro and the dollar were equal like they used to be then I could drop the dollar prices of our exhausts with over 40%.
Stef, thanks for that info. I will pass that along to my clients who are interested in your products. It seems the timing of the purchase may have a big effect on the price.
Also, could you PM me some info on your products. All the EP systems I have done have either been used or purchased by my clients. So I have no direct contact for question on pricing and new products. Thanks much.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
we have never seen a CEL from EP either... and we have done quite a few.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:59 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Stef, thanks for that info. I will pass that along to my clients who are interested in your products. It seems the timing of the purchase may have a big effect on the price.
Also, could you PM me some info on your products. All the EP systems I have done have either been used or purchased by my clients. So I have no direct contact for question on pricing and new products. Thanks much.
Website link is in the banner on the right side. Lots of info and prices.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:12 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
No, you don't have to take the bumpers, et al off to switch the exhaust.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Service light vs non-factory 997.1 turbo exhaust