997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Service light vs non-factory 997.1 turbo exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 01:04 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Service light vs non-factory 997.1 turbo exhaust

Admittingly a touchy subject but +$6K involved. Getting ready for Europipe transplant. My Porsche tech tells me don't do it, says many Porsche drivers with after mkt exhaust come in with engine service lights ablazing and he can do nothing.
How prevalent is this service check lamp issue with 100 or 200 cell cats? Is it more exhaust unit specific?
Went thru 6-speed search, found service lights coming on but no follow-ups how to resolve such dilemmas.

Last edited by johnww; 04-06-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:46 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
From an emissions standpoint the purpose of the oxygen sensors in the car are to gauge the effectiveness of the catalytic converter. It takes a reading of the exhaust gasses before, and after the catalytic converter. If it hasn't been "cleaned up enough" it will trigger the emissions code in the DME and give you that nasty check engine light.

You can get around this by having your car flashed, so it will not throw the code regardless. I'm sure someone on here with a Europipe can comment, but I was under the impression that the Europipe cat did not cause CEL issues.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:51 PM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
My experience with a EP2 is no CELs. Knock on wood, but zero.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:24 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by rix
From an emissions standpoint the purpose of the oxygen sensors in the car are to gauge the effectiveness of the catalytic converter. It takes a reading of the exhaust gasses before, and after the catalytic converter. If it hasn't been "cleaned up enough" it will trigger the emissions code in the DME and give you that nasty check engine light.

You can get around this by having your car flashed, so it will not throw the code regardless. I'm sure someone on here with a Europipe can comment, but I was under the impression that the Europipe cat did not cause CEL issues.
A reasonable and understandable explanation. Appreciate the info. I wanted to avoid the flash for awhile for warranty issues.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
There may be other brands that do but Europipe systems never produce CEL's. If you get one with an EP its something else.....garranteed . Try it without the tune first. You will see that it makes real power over the stock system. CEL's? Your service tech obviously has no experience with europipe.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:47 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Many exhausts are sold with the hjs cats that 'won't' trigger cel's but reality is they will over time as I've experienced. Flash is the only foolproof way. I see EP being thrown out as never doing this but that was said about many exhausts....my cargraphic included...but it surfaced after a while.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:00 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Does Australia use OBD2? The tests, and process the DME goes through may well be different as well.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:29 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnww
Admittingly a touchy subject but +$6K involved. Getting ready for Europipe transplant. My Porsche tech tells me don't do it, says many Porsche drivers with after mkt exhaust come in with engine service lights ablazing and he can do nothing.
How prevalent is this service check lamp issue with 100 or 200 cell cats? Is it more exhaust unit specific?
Went thru 6-speed search, found service lights coming on but no follow-ups how to resolve such dilemmas.
Two EP2's on two different 997.1 TT's one tuned the other not - never a CEL on either.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gmoney
Many exhausts are sold with the hjs cats that 'won't' trigger cel's but reality is they will over time as I've experienced. Flash is the only foolproof way. I see EP being thrown out as never doing this but that was said about many exhausts....my cargraphic included...but it surfaced after a while.
I think you've got to go with the facts where EP is concerned gmoney. I've never heard of anyone with an EP report cels that were found associated to the system. Stef may be able to chime in and give his reasoning why his systems don't. I've had mine on now well over 12 months and have never thrown a cel, and my car usually runs without the tune. When you say "after a while" i think you need to quanify that....and, why after a while. I have heard many systems are incorrectly installed by twisting the 02 sensor wires up in a knot to save time. This is an install issue and can often result in damage to the wire core which will work a CEL into a system eventually once the coating or wire fails.

Johnw, my advice to you is to ask Stef and im positive he can guarantee you his systems will never throw a cel. He gauranteed me that when i did my due diligence.

Originally Posted by rix
Does Australia use OBD2? The tests, and process the DME goes through may well be different as well.
Yes Aus uses OBD2...same as states etc. My P dealer has taken a very good look at my EP1 when my car was in the shop not long after i fitted it. They always throw a piwis on in process of any works they do and my car is always given a clean bill of health in that area. The EP1 drew a lot of attention i was later told. Apparently all the bosses and staff all came to had real good geek at it and all concurred on the amazing build quality and sound. I felt quite good after being told that knowing they were fully satisfied with the mod as being better than factory. I was also told they had seen all sorts of aftermaket systems over time yet nothing quite like the EP.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:38 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Aye that seems weird... in all the years of selling/installing Europipe I don't recall a CEL instant from the cats??

Old 04-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by johnww
My Porsche tech tells me don't do it, says many Porsche drivers with after mkt exhaust come in with engine service lights ablazing and he can do nothing.
johnw, i bet once this Prsche tech of yours gets his eyes on your EP he'll be eating his words big time .

Old 04-06-2011, 05:45 PM
rix
Sounds like a dealer tech talking in generalities, maybe even referring to exhausts with no cats at all - like the Tubi Race that Champion sells.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:50 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Does EP use proprietary cats that others do not? How many cars out there with just EP exhausts and stock ECU and for how long?

Old 04-06-2011, 06:26 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Does EP use proprietary cats that others do not? How many cars out there with just EP exhausts and stock ECU and for how long?
They use Emitec cats - but i think the can and heat shields are their proprietary engineering. Good write-up on their website.

www.europipe.be

Old 04-06-2011, 06:33 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Thanks. They give a 4 year full warranty. Gotta like that!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Service light vs non-factory 997.1 turbo exhaust