997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Come, buy your next Porsche in Aus. Going cheap!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 06:32 AM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
I think every country has its bad and good things, they all need money and everyone finds out different ways to collect it.

Here in Italy, for example, turbo P cars cost about 150.000€, and you pay about 2K in registration and other stuff. Buying them in US is still a lot cheaper, if one is willing to wait months for customs procedures.
They cost 2k/year in tax.
Relatively cheap, yes.

BUT, tax on personal income can be as high as 65% here...LOL.
AND nothing works properly....
AND in most cases, if you want to live, you NEED to use private medical care, as the public one can make you wait months or years to do vital exams, at a price nonetheless.

Last edited by emadelta86; 04-21-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:49 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
small price to pay for your awesome Sheila's

Old 04-21-2011, 10:46 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
I paid 250,000 euros for my 997 tt Cyprus is also very bad on tax, but I think Denmark is the worsed in EU

Old 04-22-2011, 05:06 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by emadelta86
I think every country has its bad and good things, they all need money and everyone finds out different ways to collect it.

Here in Italy, for example, turbo P cars cost about 150.000€, and you pay about 2K in registration and other stuff. Buying them in US is still a lot cheaper, if one is willing to wait months for customs procedures.
They cost 2k/year in tax.
Relatively cheap, yes.

BUT, tax on personal income can be as high as 65% here...LOL.
AND nothing works properly....
AND in most cases, if you want to live, you NEED to use private medical care, as the public one can make you wait months or years to do vital exams, at a price nonetheless.
Your right on that emadelta. Our taxes are much like yours once you start earning decent money, also need private health cover if you want good service and so on. Some things work and some things dont too. But much prefer your car prices though. If your a motorist and one that loves cars then you are in for a proper flogging over here.

Originally Posted by eclou
small price to pay for your awesome Sheila's
. At one point our "awesome sheilas" seem to always cost us Aussies plenty in one way shape or form eclou....(both cars and women of course.....but...well..they're worth it...thats what we keep telling ourselves)... But ultimately you are right.

Originally Posted by milou
I paid 250,000 euros for my 997 tt Cyprus is also very bad on tax, but I think Denmark is the worsed in EU
Best to stay put then Antonis.....plus Cyprus is a very nice place to live i'm told....great weather etc..and car prices are pretty nice too for us Aussies.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:36 AM
MGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to behold
At the current exchange rates AUD vs USA... need a USA based garage very soon.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:45 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MGS996TT
At the current exchange rates AUD vs USA... need a USA based garage very soon.
Yep. At 107 to the dollar it'd have to be a very big garage too based on what what we are used to paying . No serious...it'd be like unleashing a couple of kids into a candy store with dads visa. There'd be a lot of lollies to carry out.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:18 PM
xsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud of
that is nuts.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:44 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I would not buy the car at those prices . There comes a point where any item prices itself out of the market . In fact I even debate paying the prices in my region based on how awful the roads and driver courtesy has become . look at these two pictures taken recently of pople hauling their unsecured junk . the idea of spending a fortune to have a refrigerator land on my roof even bothers me with a cheap car .

Attached Images   
Old 04-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by xsbc63x
that is nuts.
Yep. It'll give you brain damage if you dwell on it so we just focus on the positives. Us Aussies just smile and look away when we sign the cheque, pretending we didn't see the figure.....i think thats the method i used last time....i avoid thinking about it. The way i figure is the new 991series tt will only be more again, so im not thinking about that for now. Maybe a miracle will take place in the meantime.

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I would not buy the car at those prices . There comes a point where any item prices itself out of the market . In fact I even debate paying the prices in my region based on how awful the roads and driver courtesy has become . look at these two pictures taken recently of pople hauling their unsecured junk . the idea of spending a fortune to have a refrigerator land on my roof even bothers me with a cheap car .
So what would you buy then? No ones been brave enough to come forward other than Drvolkl so far. I think if all us Aussies got serious and boycotted buying new cars for 2 years or so maybe something could give.....but i doubt the govt would give a damn anyway. They get so much tax just from the mining on its own (Aus is basically just a quarry) they'd just up the taxes elsewhere. In fact this lot we have in now would be quite happy to see everyone driving chinese Great Walls (the new car thats hit our shores recently as the savior) and, although the motoring groups have slammed the car as very unsafe Aussies will buy them buy the boatload because thats all many can afford. Even a honda costs a packet. Sad really. We pay so much tax but its where it goes......or more to the point doesn't.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:37 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
So what would you buy then?
I would probably have a different perception of what a car ought to be . Just the thought of it leads me to view a car purely as a transportation . Instead of spending mopney on overpriced cars I'd spend it on things that offer better pricing value in that region

My reasoning does not just apply to a porsche in Australia at the prices you posted . Even in the US if I lived in a place like New York City (my original home town) I might opt not to have a car at all and rent a car if i needed to go outside of Manhattan .

In Austrailia ? (never been but based on the assumption of needing daily use) I'd obviously need something reliable. Even though you mention that even a Honda is expensive it still recoups a bit on the used market.

Honda !!!!!!!! That's what I'd drive. Here's why....

Of my 4 cars my Honda Ciivic Si has offered the most reliable cost effective bang for the buck . I paid 25K for it and can get 15 back 4 years later with 35K miles on it . It never breaks , burns no gas , and is worry free parking it anywhere . It holds up well even in the hot sun outside . It has a better manual gearbox than my M3 and the audio and nav technology for the 07 car is better than my 07 Turbo. Of course it doesn't drive like a Porsche but for city driving it's ideal and quite good compared to its same priced competitors .

Old 04-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Banned

Honda !!!!!!!! That's what I'd drive. Here's why....

Of my 4 cars my Honda Ciivic Si has offered the most reliable cost effective bang for the buck . I paid 25K for it and can get 15 back 4 years later with 35K miles on it . It never breaks , burns no gas , and is worry free parking it anywhere . It holds up well even in the hot sun outside . It has a better manual gearbox than my M3 and the audio and nav technology for the 07 car is better than my 07 Turbo. Of course it doesn't drive like a Porsche but for city driving it's ideal and quite good compared to its same priced competitors .
Funny you say that. A Honda is a good car and holds its value pretty well. Prior to me getting all extravagant with Porsches i owned Japanese cars even in favor of the local produce simply because they were way more reliable with good resale....and usually went better anyway. Im at an age and point where its becoming harder and harder to justify spending such huge sums on a car when there are so many restrictions in driving it the way it was deigned for. And then to have it worth less than half what you paid 4 years on. A hit of 250K is a huge drop! Such a waste, but to be honest I don't know if i could ever really not own at least one nice toy after all these years. Going up the ladder has been tough. Going back down may prove tougher. Lifes to short....

Last edited by speed21; 04-22-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:53 PM
xsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud ofxsbc63x has much to be proud of
[quote=speed21;3185455]Yep. It'll give you brain damage if you dwell on it so we just focus on the positives. Us Aussies just smile and look away when we sign the cheque, pretending we didn't see the figure.....i think thats the method i used last time....i avoid thinking about it. The way i figure is the new 991series tt will only be more again, so im not thinking about that for now. Maybe a miracle will take place in the meantime.

your miracle could be coming to america

Old 04-22-2011, 11:01 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by xsbc63x

your miracle could be coming to america
Thats about the score of it. And its a tempting thought too. Its the Aussie car lovers dream.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by speed21
Funny you say that. A Honda is a good car and holds its value pretty well. Prior to me getting all extravagant with Porsches i owned Japanese cars even in favor of the local produce simply because they were way more reliable with good resale....and usually went better anyway. Im at an age and point where its becoming harder and harder to justify spending such huge sums on a car when there are so many restrictions in driving it the way it was deigned for. And then to have it worth less than half what you paid 4 years on. A hit of 250K is a huge drop! Such a waste, but to be honest I don't know if i could ever really not own at least one nice toy after all these years. Going up the ladder has been tough. Going back down may prove tougher. Lifes to short....
That's why you preserve this car and buy the cheap ones for daily use . Eventually you'll sell it and by then you coild save enough to buy a small vacation place and a Porsche somewhere else if that's what you really want . The funny thing is that by that time you might accept that the expensive car bug just wasn't worth it enough to do it more than where you sit now.

...and contrary to what others are suggesting about moving ....

For starters it's a big step and even though I've never been to Australia what i have found is that no matter where one goes each place has things he likes as well as things he doesn't like . No place is perfect . Just because we have cheaper porsches here doesn't mean you'd necessarily be happier if you left your home to be able to have them.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:12 AM
Banned
That's why you preserve this car and buy the cheap ones for daily use . Eventually you'll sell it and by then you coild save enough to buy a small vacation place and a Porsche somewhere else if that's what you really want . The funny thing is that by that time you might accept that the expensive car bug just wasn't worth it enough to do it more than where you sit now.

...and contrary to what others are suggesting about moving ....

For starters it's a big step and even though I've never been to Australia what i have found is that no matter where one goes each place has things he likes as well as things he doesn't like . No place is perfect . Just because we have cheaper porsches here doesn't mean you'd necessarily be happier if you left your home to be able to have them.
With 991tt approaching and having a couple of cheaper cars to take the main wear anyway its hard not to ponder alternatives. Inevitably there comes a point where one realizes one can only hit themselves over the head with a 200k baseball bat so many times before you no longer recover. Cars are hardly an investment in wealth creation. Now if only you could drive land bricks and mortar. +Agree on the moving and the grass being greener. Whilst your car prices are tempting id need more financial motivation than that. Tis a huge step..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Come, buy your next Porsche in Aus. Going cheap!