997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Come, buy your next Porsche in Aus. Going cheap!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 05:42 AM
gerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the rough
Good on you for sharing the post Mate.

I received the same link from several colleagues who know I have just picked up my Turbo S (~$450,000). If you live in Oz and you want a car like that then you have to be willing to pay for it. But it's tough to know that I could have had two of these plus change for the same amount if I lived in the US.

But as the song goes "I'll always call Australia home"

Old 04-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gerbs
Good on you for sharing the post Mate.

I received the same link from several colleagues who know I have just picked up my Turbo S (~$450,000). If you live in Oz and you want a car like that then you have to be willing to pay for it. But it's tough to know that I could have had two of these plus change for the same amount if I lived in the US.

But as the song goes "I'll always call Australia home"
No worries Gerbs! And what you say is correct. If you want one of these babies you have to pay the piper....no way around it out here. Plenty may say we are crazy but what other options do us Aussies have.. the article sure does make you mad that we are getting handled so severely tho There ought to be a law against this kind of highway robbery!

Old 04-26-2011, 01:29 AM
S4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really nice
A base starting price for a turbo in Taiwan is around US$280,000 from P car Taiwan. That's why a lot of traders buying cars from US and resell them here for profit

Old 04-26-2011, 08:41 PM
drnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to beholddrnano is a splendid one to behold
Living in Australia you have to accept that you are one 'model' behind what you could afford in the USA: A 997 GT2 in the USA is equivalent to a 996 GT2 after currency exchange over here. A 997 GT2 in Australia equates to a Carrera GT in the USA.

Note to Americans: if your government succeeds in implementing an inefficient public health care system (like Australia has) then it is likely your luxury car prices will double to our level. How would you like to pay $230k for a carrera S?
In America, it is your right to make your own purchases with the money you have earned. In Australia, you have to pay for the privilege of the government graciously allowing you to buy what you want with your hard earned money (that of course you have already paid tax on).

Old 04-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by drnano
Living in Australia you have to accept that you are one 'model' behind what you could afford in the USA: A 997 GT2 in the USA is equivalent to a 996 GT2 after currency exchange over here. A 997 GT2 in Australia equates to a Carrera GT in the USA.

Note to Americans: if your government succeeds in implementing an inefficient public health care system (like Australia has) then it is likely your luxury car prices will double to our level. How would you like to pay $230k for a carrera S?
In America, it is your right to make your own purchases with the money you have earned. In Australia, you have to pay for the privilege of the government graciously allowing you to buy what you want with your hard earned money (that of course you have already paid tax on).
Well that takes Australia off my places to retire.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Bob.au is infamous around these parts
Wait till these guys see the prices of American cars over here, Cadillacs, Dodges, all Pick-Up trucks, etc. They will laugh so hard they might collapse.

I paid double for my Evo here when compared to US prices. It pained me to do it, but I wanted something that handled well and I didn't have Lotus money

Old 04-27-2011, 12:59 AM
mhh
mhh is infamous around these partsmhh is infamous around these parts
High taxes are a pain but complaining about them is like wishing you were taller or better looking, IMO. I'm too lazy to get involved in politics, which I guess is the only way to fix what we don't like. I'm happy to take the rough with the smooth and feel I can't really complain if I can afford a Porsche whatever the price.

Having said all that, the idea of buying an additional Porsche in the US or UK and keeping it has great appeal. New roads to drive and a half-priced car to do it in. One day.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:15 AM
AusRedNeck is infamous around these parts
Another Aussie in the US here. I was looking at the new Camaro vert that lists for round 44k, when I started looking at 2nd hand bimmers and p-cars.

After not thinking about Porsche for a long time due to the prices in Aus, I was astounded at what 44k can buy here.

Generally I've found cost of living in the south is about half that of Sydney, but the LCT makes cars rediculous. Cost of having a small population, long way away and a labour Gov.

Enjoy your car mate. Don't let the cameras get ya.

Shane

Old 04-27-2011, 03:04 AM
john0719 is infamous around these partsjohn0719 is infamous around these parts
I paid roughly USD310,000 for my Turbo S here in Taiwan and I thought that was insane.......Wow, I can't imagine paying Aussie prices!!

Old 04-27-2011, 06:32 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by S4corrado996TT
A base starting price for a turbo in Taiwan is around US$280,000 from P car Taiwan. That's why a lot of traders buying cars from US and resell them here for profit
I do like the sound of the 280k start price for a new PT though. But hear traffic is a ***** over there.

Originally Posted by drnano
Note to Americans: if your government succeeds in implementing an inefficient public health care system (like Australia has) then it is likely your luxury car prices will double to our level. How would you like to pay $230k for a carrera S? In Australia, you have to pay for the privilege of the government graciously allowing you to buy what you want with your hard earned money (that of course you have already paid tax on).
Arg...politics....you are so spot on drnano!...but its not healthy to think about that. Look at the up side. The Porsches are getting better. Its just the paying part that can be a problem.....and the cops too.... Lets not forget those money grabing sobs and all those cameras. The Govt will never stop inventing taxes and the motorist is their best means to feed that black hole.

Originally Posted by Duane996tt
Well that takes Australia off my places to retire.
Aus is actually a great place if youre a refo on a boat. The problem only begins if you have any money.

Originally Posted by Bob.au
Wait till these guys see the prices of American cars over here, Cadillacs, Dodges, all Pick-Up trucks, etc. They will laugh so hard they might collapse. I paid double for my Evo here when compared to US prices. It pained me to do it, but I wanted something that handled well and I didn't have Lotus money
Might collapse? Thats a definite! Lol! Just wait till they see our house prices.

Originally Posted by mhh

Having said all that, the idea of buying an additional Porsche in the US or UK and keeping it has great appeal. New roads to drive and a half-priced car to do it in. One day.
I like the way you're thinking mhh. Btw hows that magnificent 458 of yours going? Man you must have a job just choosing what to drive everyday. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by AusRedNeck
Another Aussie in the US here. After not thinking about Porsche for a long time due to the prices in Aus, I was astounded at what 44k can buy here. Generally I've found cost of living in the south is about half that of Sydney. Enjoy your car mate. Don't let the cameras get ya. Shane
Thanks for the kind words Shane....and im trying! I'm also enjoy every second of mine and im pretty sure the rest of us Aussie P owners do too. Cheers and keep living the dream.

Originally Posted by john0719
I paid roughly USD310,000 for my Turbo S here in Taiwan and I thought that was insane.......Wow, I can't imagine paying Aussie prices!!
310K for a Turbo S!! Insane? Thats at least 160k ahead of our game for the same car. Stay happy and enjoy those prices!

Old 04-27-2011, 07:39 AM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
High taxes are a pain but complaining about them is like wishing you were taller or better looking, IMO.
You're right, but passively accepting is not good either imho. Espetially if earned money has sweat on it.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:43 AM
mhh
Originally Posted by emadelta86
You're right, but passively accepting is not good either imho. Espetially if earned money has sweat on it.
All my money has sweat on it (nice phrase - I hadn't heard it before ) but I'd rather spend my time making more of it than complaining about tax. I know I'll be richer if I do that. The more tax I pay, the better I'm doing. That's all.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:50 AM
mhh
Originally Posted by speed21

I like the way you're thinking mhh. Btw hows that magnificent 458 of yours going? Man you must have a job just choosing what to drive everyday. Enjoy!

I've covered 8,000km in less than 6 months. I'm driving the wheels off the damn thing. I still enjoy the Turbo S just as much though. It's like the kids - I love them both equally.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:55 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
but I'd rather spend my time making more of it than complaining about tax. I know I'll be richer if I do that. The more tax I pay, the better I'm doing. That's all.
This is unquestionably the right way to think..

BTW I've just roughly translated that phrase from my language.Glad you like it.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:22 PM
turbo_banker is infamous around these parts
Wow that is crazy, i'm almost just as surprised at just how cheap cars are in the USA, especially those made in Europe and exported to the states haha - $60k for an M3!!! I paid more than that for a 2yr old one!!!!

I've been considering heading over to Aus for a week or two this july, does this mean all my rentals will be crap?? haha.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Come, buy your next Porsche in Aus. Going cheap!