997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

2009 Battery dead already?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 08:11 AM
NYNick is infamous around these parts
2009 Battery dead already?

My '09TT was stored awhile(a year?) before I bought it, and of course the battery drained. After charging, no issues for the last year of ownership or so. Dummy that I am, I didn't hook up the trickle charger this winter. It's been charging about 24 hours, and while I get 13+/- volts out of the charger, I get 10+/- out of the battery, even if the charger is hooked up to it or not. Of course, the car won't start.

New battery time? Or should I try to jump it with another battery, jolt it out of it's 'current' state(haha) and then let it charge?

Thanks boys.

Nick

Old 04-23-2011, 08:54 AM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
Save yourself some time and $$$.

Go to walmart and pick up and new one. It'll be $85-90 and comes will a full warranty. It looks exactly the same for 1/3 the price. It truly fits like a gem...you'll be shocked how easy it is. (except for the weight...it's a little tricky to lift out by yourself)

Old 04-23-2011, 10:55 AM
sbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond reputesbkim has a reputation beyond repute
x2. I also got mine from Walmart for $70 and has 9 year pro rated warranty. Battery size listed on websites are wrong so make sure you match up to the OEM size. See my post #7 for details

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...mendation.html

Originally Posted by PSTT07
Save yourself some time and $$$.

Go to walmart and pick up and new one. It'll be $85-90 and comes will a full warranty. It looks exactly the same for 1/3 the price. It truly fits like a gem...you'll be shocked how easy it is. (except for the weight...it's a little tricky to lift out by yourself)

Last edited by sbkim; 04-23-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:27 AM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by NYNick
My '09TT was stored awhile(a year?) before I bought it, and of course the battery drained. After charging, no issues for the last year of ownership or so. Dummy that I am, I didn't hook up the trickle charger this winter. It's been charging about 24 hours, and while I get 13+/- volts out of the charger, I get 10+/- out of the battery, even if the charger is hooked up to it or not. Of course, the car won't start.

New battery time? Or should I try to jump it with another battery, jolt it out of it's 'current' state(haha) and then let it charge?

Thanks boys.

Nick
My 2009 TT cab's battery went south about a month or two ago as well. Was able to charge it once, then nothing. I did not go with the Porsche battery the 2nd time around... there's a thread on it somewhere around here.

Yeah, I've never had a 2 year old car lose a battery! I have 9k on the odo.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:15 PM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
I was able to get my dealer to replace my battery under warranty.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:22 PM
DrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant futureDrVolkl has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by TXTurbo
I was able to get my dealer to replace my battery under warranty.
Yeah, I wasn't. They said something like I need to drive the car at least 6k a year to qualify... which in hindsight is rather silly... especially since now that I think about it, I did drive the car 6k miles, it was the first owner who didn't. So much for my CPO so far! lol I should have thought about that...

Old 04-23-2011, 12:41 PM
slawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond repute
they can build an amazing car and engine mechanically, but in the electric and electronics department seems that Porsche is always the last.I replaced my last year.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:49 PM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
Originally Posted by DrVolkl
Yeah, I wasn't. They said something like I need to drive the car at least 6k a year to qualify... which in hindsight is rather silly... especially since now that I think about it, I did drive the car 6k miles, it was the first owner who didn't. So much for my CPO so far! lol I should have thought about that...
I think they gave me a hard time about the miles but I also had the porsche trickle charger.

In the end they replaced it.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
My 09 Turbo Cab battery went out a month or so ago, 4400 miles on it. When I took delivery of the vehicle from a dealer out of state (great and smooth operation), and had some work done locally by my Porsche dealer (Tubi, Champion wheels, etc) they left the doors open and the damn thing drained on that day of service alone. But it was recharged and fine for the next 16 months. Then it just crapped out.

They analyzed the fluid and found one dead cell, but with Porsche's idiotic 6k mileage requirement/year, I had to eat a new battery. Got a nice deal on an Interstate without mileage requirements, happy now. Also have a Porsche battery tender should I not drive it for any length of time (was driving it 3-4 days/week when it crapped out).

The worst part was 2 weeks after the new battery went in, I popped some tendons in my leftie, and was in a boot for four weeks. Still nursing it back, but could not drive the Turbo for a few weeks. I did, however, take short jaunts in it with a nice driving shoe on so I would not flat spot the tires.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by slawek
they can build an amazing car and engine mechanically, but in the electric and electronics department seems that Porsche is always the last.I replaced my last year.
Yeah, the only thing I really did wrong was not drive it every week. It was cold here... probably about 40 degrees and I let it sit for 10 days or so... that's all it took.

The new battery seems to be way better... honestly I'd recommend everyone with a later 997 to just get a new battery when it's convenient vs having to deal with trying to pop the hood with a spare battery/jumper.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:05 AM
Nick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to beholdNick-NY is a splendid one to behold
Just do as the others say and buy another battery, once a battery is drained that far its very hard to get it to be reliable again, unless you want to try and save it you can buy a really good battery manitainer and let it charge for a week or so.(I got mine from costco online{save-a-battery})
I bought 3,I keep one on my E30 M3(only put 50-100miles/year), E28 M5(500 miles/year), and my Boxster (1,000-1500 miles/year). all start right up with no battery issues.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:58 AM
NYNick is infamous around these parts
Hey, that's my signature!

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll try Porsche tomorrow, and if no luck, a new battery this week.

You would think for $150k you could get a battery that lasts 3 years or more!

Old 01-09-2012, 04:58 PM
msf
msf is infamous around these parts
My battery went in 3 years. Auto Zone installed mine for $140. 3 year total, 8 year prorated warranty. In and out in 30 minutes. Much better battery than Porsche. More cranking amps and better warranty.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:17 PM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Get a new Battery with a Trickle charger that plus into the cig lighter. You will be set for a while.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:47 PM
richard181 is infamous around these parts
my "09 went dead this spring after 3 weeks off a charger. Dealer did not warranty but the flatbed to the dealer was covered.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2009 Battery dead already?