997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Pccb or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 10:09 AM
SKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to all
Pccb or not?

I am ordering a new 997TT and would like your input on adding the PCCb's to the list of ordered options.
I currently have a 09 C4S and find the brakes outstanding. I do not track the car just regular driving. I know two of the advantages of PCCBs are less weight and little brake dust.
Other than cost, are there any other disadvantages. Any other advantages.
Appreciate any comments you have.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:17 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
go for them, i would only say no if you would track the car

Old 04-23-2011, 11:17 AM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
You have to be careful when they are wet. Every once in awhile, you hit the brakes and they don't grab. That being said, I have them on the Turbo S (standard on the S), had them on the '08 Turbo (traded last month) and ordered them on my 2011 Cayenne that was build on 4/20/11. I would not order a Porsche without them. If buying a used Porsche, it would not be a deal breaker if it did not have them.

There have been a lot of threads about this. Here is one and if you do a search, you will find many others.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...te-brakes.html

Last edited by imcarnuts; 04-23-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Gotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to all
Everything comes with a price tag whether you're paying with money or with pain. So here are my 2 cents: pccb looks great, much lighter, phenomenal braking ability. Ok now here is the price you're going to pay: cost $15k to replace the rotor but chances are you won't have the car then. Secondly, this is my ultimate sacrifice and the price I'm paying for and it's the excruciating squeal and squeaks the you will have to endure, not to mention the embarassing gawk from the guy pulling up next to you.

It feels good pulling up next to a Porsche who has standard brakes but if it started to squeal, I say look away and avoid eye contacts because he's thinking in his head "here's another idiot with money"

Old 04-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Jeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of light
For a non track event car the standard brakes are outstanding, lot of opinions, for and against PCCB here, look for a thread on it.
I've had both and didn't see a big difference in daily use, less brake dust with ceramics.
Spend the 8K on some other options or aftermarket up grades like some cool wheels.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:42 AM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gotnem108
Everything comes with a price tag whether you're paying with money or with pain. So here are my 2 cents: pccb looks great, much lighter, phenomenal braking ability. Ok now here is the price you're going to pay: cost $15k to replace the rotor but chances are you won't have the car then. Secondly, this is my ultimate sacrifice and the price I'm paying for and it's the excruciating squeal and squeaks the you will have to endure, not to mention the embarassing gawk from the guy pulling up next to you.

It feels good pulling up next to a Porsche who has standard brakes but if it started to squeal, I say look away and avoid eye contacts because he's thinking in his head "here's another idiot with money"
I've heard about this squeal but I've had three cars with PCCBs and never had a problem. On the other hand, my wife's Cayenne Turbo without PCCBs, squeals like crazy.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:58 AM
Jeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of lightJeff C is a glorious beacon of light
+1 on the squeal, mine did and couldn't figure out why, sounded like a recycling truck.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:52 PM
ERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to behold
Also

Your rims stay much cleaner with PCCB brakes.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:56 PM
iliasgk74 is infamous around these parts
it was great even wet,no problems at all.My opinion is from street use,no track at all.
go for them!

Old 04-23-2011, 12:57 PM
TT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud of
I have PCCB's. No squeal. Perfect brake pedal feel.

I tracked them last month and will be tracking again on Monday. Absolutely no fade.
Go for them. There's a reason why all other super and hyper cars have ceramics as well.

I also heard our second generation cermaics are much better than the first.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:00 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Go for them...outstanding breaking performance,no dust,less weight and in my case...no strange sounds at all...

Old 04-23-2011, 01:11 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Last week I was at Leipzig for Porsche driving school, it was right after replacing my PCCB pads. I was reading here on the forum that they have to be replaced when they come to 50% so I changed them. It was then when i noticed that I was very close to disaster. I found out that on the one side the pads were 50% and on the other almost nothing, another 200kms and the steel plate under the pad was about to touch on the disc and destroy it.
I asked some of the instructors who are very familiar with PCCB. What they said is that this is their major problem with PCCBs, different driving styles make them wear out in different ways, this puts owners in risk because the sensor s in the middle. If I was waiting for the sensor it would be too late for me.
Then i asked the question how long do discs last? Or how many brake pad sets will I use till the discs are for replacement?
Yoshi, one of Porsche test drivers smiled and said that you can wear a brand new PCCB in a single track day, think which he did several times.
He also said that the GT2RS completely destroyed it's brakes after testing on track.

His advice was PCCBs are great for road use not for track, almost no motorsport company if any uses them on the track.

If you track the car, not a good idea, if not go for it.

I'll post some pics of my old pads for you to see

Old 04-23-2011, 07:07 PM
jamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gotnem108

I bought my GT2 brand new in 2002 and still own it today and I have never ever heard brake squeal.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Do this: Take the $10K you would spend on the option, add another $15K you might have to spend on rotors at some point and fly to Vegas. Go the the Bellagio or your favorite place and tell the house you intend to place a single $5K bet on your favorite game of chance during each of the next five days and you want them to comp a nice room and take care of you.

Here's what you get: a really nice vacation, enough excitement and memories each day to last a lifetime and you probably won't come home broke; maybe even make a few grand.

Here's what you keep: a really nice car with really good red brakes that stops just as well as one with yellow ones.

Decisions, decisions......best.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:20 PM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
No brake dust on the rims is worth the price of entry. I have 1200 miles on my car and the rims look just they did on delivery. Simply hose off and dry!!

**I have never heard mine squeal (except for the first few brake taps after I wash the car).

Last edited by thebland; 04-23-2011 at 09:23 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pccb or not?