997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Titanium Exhausts Pros & Cons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 10:51 AM
DaBrat is infamous around these parts
Titanium Exhausts Pros & Cons

I've done a search and have read that ti exhausts are:

Pros:
lighter

Cons:
more expensive, may crack easier, possible droning due to thin walls

Did I miss any other points?

How much, if any, will taking weight off the rear end of the car benefit the car's handling?

Also, what are your recommendations on ti exhausts for the 997.2TT?
Akra, FVD, Quicksilver, etc.

Thanks!

Old 04-27-2011, 02:23 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
I've never been able to justify the cost of a Titanium exhaust in my mind. I am not sure that what you gain from a weight or performance stand point really justify the cost.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:45 PM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
I've never been able to justify the cost of a Titanium exhaust in my mind. I am not sure that what you gain from a weight or performance stand point really justify the cost.
I agree, especially since the turbo can get big gains with exhaust, software, etc. If you were driving say an S2000 or a GT3, it would make a lot more sense given you cannot squeeze out that much more hp out of them since they are N/A.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
I think you've basically got it covered. If yours is a .2 then the Akra muffler is a good option although an expensive one. For the money the EP is a much better deal though. And on the weight/handling differences etc, unless you're a hard core track hound who drives 10 10ths you wont feel any.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Thank you for all your comments. Seems like there really is no prudent justification for Ti. Of course, that being said, how many of us are really prudent anyway? At least I'm not, so I'm still considering Ti. 2 follow-up questions:

(1)
Anyone here have any experience with the Akra, FVD or Quicksilver?
I've always liked Akra from bikes.
FVD may have a benefit if I decide to go with their ECU flash.
Quicksilver cause they seems to be developing their exhausts for high-end cars.

(2)
I know this forum is very pro-Europipe, which sounds great and I am definitely considering. However, if I go steel exhausts, does anyone have any comments on the FVD / M&Ms? How do they compare with the Europipes on sound, volume, durability, drone/resonance, etc.? Would my comment above regarding the FVD ECU flash + FDV exhaust bring any additional benefits?

Thanks you guys and girls. You have been very helpful!

Old 04-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
We make a system for the .2 turbo in SS

People have been very happy with our system on these cars.

Here is a link to the details:

http://gmgracing.com/porsche_exhaust...972turbo.shtml

Old 04-28-2011, 02:06 AM
Thanks Fabryce. I'll take a look at the GMG exhausts too.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm most curious if anyone has any experience using the FVD Titaniums:
http://shop.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/9...11%2C9-Kg.html

I also saw Stainless Steel M&M with flaps. Anyone tried these?

Finally, what is the recommendation for exhausts with flaps? Are there any downsides to having switch activated flaps?

Thanks!

Old 04-28-2011, 02:12 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
I've been extremely happy with my FVD set up...so have several others on the board. But frankly I've yet to hear anyone buy any aftermarket exhaust that they were really unhappy with.

But they all sound very different so you need to use your own ears in person to make an educated decision. I looked at a load of them before choosing FVD.

Only issue I've had...if the car sits for a few weeks between use...when I start it up...I nearly choke to death on the exhaust fumes...not sure what that's about but it's fine once I pull out of the garage. And no I'm not lingering in the garage...must be some kind of build up or something.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Thanks raclaims!

May I ask if your FVDs are SS or Ti?
I heard the SS FVDs in person. Actually, I find it a little loud on idle and low revs. I don't mind and want my exhaust to be loud when I floor it, but tame around the city on idle and low revs. How's your experience with the FVDs on sound?

Thanks!

Old 04-28-2011, 08:38 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
Mine are SS
But FVD can customize the "loudness" to your liking

Email Rhonda. She will sort you out

Old 04-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Anyone know the weight of the stock 997.2TT mufflers and cats?

When I look at Akrapovic, they do not say how much their exhaust weighs. Just how much weight reduction. FVD states how much theirs weighs. Can't compare apples to oranges.

I know the difference may be minimal, but just curious.

Thanks!

Old 05-01-2011, 04:13 AM
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
I have akropovics (with flaps) on my ZR1 and love the akropovics for NO DRONE and the flaps because my wife will ride in my vette now and enjoy it