997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
Any one familiar with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. I have been running PS2's on my last few cars but noticed the Super Sports on Tire Rack while shopping.
Put a set on 2 weeks ago. Love them for the street!

Old 07-19-2011, 06:53 PM
GT-TT is infamous around these partsGT-TT is infamous around these parts
anybody that has tried those and also corsas? How do they compare in terms of dry grip (corsas strong point) and tire noise (corsa weak point)?

Old 07-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
Nothing but Michelin on my cars...love it.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
I've had them on the car for almost 2 months now. After being a die hard PS2 user I have to say I really love these Super Sports. Quieter ride great handling now if we get some great wear out of them they will be perfect.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:32 PM
HUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud ofHUMMM 3 has much to be proud of
Based on the local autoxers reviews I wanted the Bridgestone RE 11's, but due to production problems caused by the earthquake in Japan they were unavailable. I ended up with the PSS's and I'm very pleased. They are lighter than the RE 11's, cost $400/set less than the PS's, and quieter than the Bridgestone Potenza's they replaced. After approximately a 1K miles of spirited driving they have demonstrated great handling characteristics.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Im up for a set myself very very soon. So price aside what's the verdict guys? PS2's or PSS? The winner?

Old 07-20-2011, 06:59 PM
jwp98 is infamous around these parts
Reports seem superior for PSS. But will they make 325s?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:41 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I've decided to stick with N rated tires.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:03 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I've decided to stick with N rated tires.
Agree it's always best to stick with the manufacturers recommended N but if not available then it'd be PSS any day over Pirellis and Bstones. Michelin are by far the better ime.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:56 AM
randomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to behold
it's about time for a new set of rubber. I'm really liking the reviews on these but that N rating has me confused. I was reading and it looks like the tires just have to go through testing with Porsche to get the rating. Doesn't that mean that the current PSSs could already be good enough for the rating but they just won't be branded branded with the N until the testing is complete?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by randomquickness
it's about time for a new set of rubber. I'm really liking the reviews on these but that N rating has me confused. I was reading and it looks like the tires just have to go through testing with Porsche to get the rating. Doesn't that mean that the current PSSs could already be good enough for the rating but they just won't be branded branded with the N until the testing is complete?
Speaking with both my Porsche dealer and my local tire dealer about these PSS tires, both are aware of them and both have confirmed tires which are not N rated have not been tested nor approved by Porsche to perform to what Porsche consider appropriate for their cars. Thats not to say the PSS won't perform well or are no good. However to say they perform better than an equivalent N series tire would require confirmation by professional back to back testing. On my behalf my tire dealer enquired with his Michelin tire supplier and they reported they are well aware of the PSS tire but as they are not N rated they are very hard to shift in the market here and the local dealer P network will not touch them so they have decided not to stock them at this time. Once they have been given an N rating by Porsche it will be a totally different story....as will be the price i imagine . My dealer says he has had previous experience with non N rated tyres (of the same brand) on Porsches before and they do not perform the same as N rated in a high performance environment. Maybe street use is harder to distinguish any differences....i dont know. Now for all i know this could be all just tire dealer talk to keep it all legal in the event things don't go to plan down the track.

So to Summarize:
1)They are a new Michelin tire, so they must be good.
2) They are priced very attractively in comparison to the PS2 .
3) There is no professional test (to my knowledge) that would confirm they are as good or better than a PS2 N tire, or if they are ideally suited to the car.
4) Both tire dealer and Porsche (in Aus) specifically advise not to use any tire on a Porsche unless it is N rated.

Decisions Decisions..... What to do? Your call. I must admit i do like the price though .

Old 07-26-2011, 08:43 PM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
I think the N rating on the PSS is just politics and timing. I think the testing is well underway; perhaps on the 991 as well. It will be interesting to see the selection of OEM tires on the new 991 model.
I replaced my PS2 with PSS last week and was told that the CPO warranty would not cover suspension damage as a result of a non N rated tire failure. I also was reading in the CPO paperwork that car may not be covered under warranty during track events. I already know my car insurance won't. Can buy track insurance though for whatever value you set for your car, though.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by seapar
I think the N rating on the PSS is just politics and timing. I think the testing is well underway; perhaps on the 991 as well. It will be interesting to see the selection of OEM tires on the new 991 model.
I replaced my PS2 with PSS last week and was told that the CPO warranty would not cover suspension damage as a result of a non N rated tire failure. I also was reading in the CPO paperwork that car may not be covered under warranty during track events. I already know my car insurance won't. Can buy track insurance though for whatever value you set for your car, though.
Possibly so. Neither party i spoke to were prepared to confirm the PSS was developed for the 991 car. They did say that "if" the tire was to appear on the 991 it would be N rated and that there would be no garrantee the non N PSS would be identical in compound or structure just because the tread pattern may remain the same. Imo there is really no point speculating whether the PSS will or wont be the identical nor base any purchasing decision on such speculation. The bottom line is the insurers won't cover my car and P wont recognise the tire as being suitable unless it is N rated. Therefore, if you opt to buy them you should do so with your eyes wide open .

Old 08-15-2011, 06:35 PM
randomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to behold
thanks for all the info. after reading up more on how michelin developed the tires with supercars and me not having a warranty, I went ahead and pulled the trigger. They should be installed by Thursday this week.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:53 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by speed21
Possibly so. Neither party i spoke to were prepared to confirm the PSS was developed for the 991 car. They did say that "if" the tire was to appear on the 991 it would be N rated and that there would be no garrantee the non N PSS would be identical in compound or structure just because the tread pattern may remain the same. Imo there is really no point speculating whether the PSS will or wont be the identical nor base any purchasing decision on such speculation. The bottom line is the insurers won't cover my car and P wont recognise the tire as being suitable unless it is N rated. Therefore, if you opt to buy them you should do so with your eyes wide open .
My two fronts are PS2 N1, purchased rather recently, so a shame to abort them. With all said here, looks like putting PS2 N2 (replacement) on the rears is best than replacing all fours with PSS which are not N rated. Four PSS same price as two rear PS2 N2s This N rating I guess is just special tire compounding that Porsche seems to like. Porsche doesn't seem to like N1s front comboed and N2s rear either. Being fronts last twice as long as rears, there must be other 6speeders (and PDKers) that are trying to make this same decision. Mostly staying with Ns is best decision if suspension warranty is coming into play. Lets get some feedback

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sport