997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 09:34 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnww
My two fronts are PS2 N1, purchased rather recently, so a shame to abort them. With all said here, looks like putting PS2 N2 (replacement) on the rears is best than replacing all fours with PSS which are not N rated. Four PSS same price as two rear PS2 N2s This N rating I guess is just special tire compounding that Porsche seems to like. Porsche doesn't seem to like N1s front comboed and N2s rear either. Being fronts last twice as long as rears, there must be other 6speeders (and PDKers) that are trying to make this same decision. Mostly staying with Ns is best decision if suspension warranty is coming into play. Lets get some feedback
I don't ever recall seeing any suspension warranty issues being reported as a result of mounting non-N rated tires. What's likely to be damaged with non-N rated tires?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:41 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I don't ever recall seeing any suspension warranty issues being reported as a result of mounting non-N rated tires. What's likely to be damaged with non-N rated tires?
Check Seapar's note above regarding CPO warranty coverage on non Ns

Old 08-16-2011, 09:42 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by porka
treadwear is 300 on the mss!

i am buying them for my front wheels.. they dont make them wide enough in the rear

yea bummer, widest 18" 285

Old 08-16-2011, 09:50 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnww
Check Seapar's note above regarding CPO warranty coverage on non Ns
So if you have a blowout with non N and suspension is damaged - warranty denied? If you're on the track with a non N or N, any damaged would probably be denied. I don't think running non Ns is a risk I worry about - but that's me. Still haven't seen any reports of warranty denials for running non Ns.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:32 AM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
So if you have a blowout with non N and suspension is damaged - warranty denied? If you're on the track with a non N or N, any damaged would probably be denied. I don't think running non Ns is a risk I worry about - but that's me. Still haven't seen any reports of warranty denials for running non Ns.
Can't speak for other parts of the world, but in the U.S. and with the litigious society we find ourselves in these days... I suspect a lawyer would have a field day with a warranty/insurance denial based on a tire not being N spec. Especially if the tire that was used was demonstrated to be DOT approved, in the correct sizes, and with suitable speed and load ratings for the vehicle. JMHO.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:59 PM
randomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to behold
put them on today. very noticeable difference coming off the worn out R888s. Much quieter and more forgiving over the highway cracks. can't comment on grip yet as I haven't had a chance to play yet

Old 08-16-2011, 07:11 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Just trying to help those concerned with using non N tires: In my last few years of reviewing old posts while searching for suspension discussions, I have never, I repeat, never, run across a situation where warranty or insurance is denied because of using non N rate tires. Don't know about Europe or ROW, but in the US, it is a NEVER. :-) At the tracks all bets are off, but for street driving, anyone has evidence otherwise please correct me as needed. We really should put an end to this rumor.

Paul/speed21, good summary; my humble opinion: PSS. At least here in the US, logic dictates a switch to PSS. The PS is being phased out and Michelin has gone on record as far as PSS being "better." There is less deformation of contact patch - AFAIK edge of tire surface holds shape better during cornering, also better wear, faster on track. The improvement is partly from the use of Twaron, a synthetic aramid fiber, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aramid . Biggest Porsche tire dealer in the US is saying PSS as a matter of course. At nearly half the price (60%) , this is no longer a question.
As mentioned, I used to believe in N too but have lost faith, partly because of the different N situations. Basically we are forced to mix N: new N (designed for newer cars), old N (designed for our cars), whatever is available at the time. There was a thread in rennteam on this and the discussion was that difference between different N's could be significant, depending on which tire, and which year, except of course no one knows exactly the details (!).

GT-TT: So you notice the noise of Pirelli Corsa R comps too? LOL. My Corsa has not aged well with respect to noise and stiffness, where there seems to be an exponential increase in stiffness and noise towards the end. I need a break from R comps now :-) and will try PSS in a couple of weeks. I could give you a report then.
BTW, my next R comps will be either Michelin Cup or Toyo Roxes 888. An excellent US tuner, TPC - who races Porsche professionally, use them and I sure want to experiment and to learn.

Last edited by cannga; 08-16-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:58 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
your way to paranoid if your worried about warranty / insurance issues when running non N rated tires. The Super Sport blows doors over the PS2, N rated or not. Matter of time before its N rated and Im convinced there will be zero changes to the construction to achieve it. Of course do what you feel comfy with.....

Old 08-16-2011, 09:06 PM
RNS
RNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to behold
New owner of PSS
I just put on PSS's 2 weeks ago, replacing the Bridgestone RE050A's that came stock on my 09TT. Had them shipped to my local P dealership and it was the first car they've put them on.

P dealer's impressions
The service manager proactively stated he was "very impressed" with how the PSS looked, and it reminded him of a cross between the old PS and the Cup. He also said the grooves in the outside tread of the PSS comes down slightly further onto the sidewalls compared to the PS.

My initial drives
I don't have as much experience trying multiple tires as most of you, but here's my initial impression of the super sports having only driven the stock RE050As and now these new PSS:
- As stated in a post above, they are less harsh over bumps and cracks in the road. Quieter and more forgiving ride.
- Incredible grip in the corners...they are yet to break loose, in specific corners where the RE050As would have.
- It might have been from the alignment I also had done, the fact I now have fresh rubber, or maybe the tires are still getting an initial factory coating etched off, but my steering feels slightly lighter and more responsive than with the Bridgestone RE050A's. I take this as a positive, as the steering before felt a little heavy. Don't beat me up on this...it's just what I initially noticed from before and after

No regrets. I want to keep trying to corner slightly faster so I can learn the safe limits of the tire, but so far no luck as they aren't breaking grip!

Old 08-16-2011, 10:05 PM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gmoney
your way to paranoid if your worried about warranty / insurance issues when running non N rated tires. The Super Sport blows doors over the PS2, N rated or not. Matter of time before its N rated and Im convinced there will be zero changes to the construction to achieve it. Of course do what you feel comfy with.....
Agreed - I think people are forgetting about the whole "Magnuson Moss" warranty law we have in the United States.

I can't speak for those of you in other 'less free' countries but it isn't going to cross the mind of most of us in the US when buying new tires

PSS on all 4 corners here. Better tire, less money over the PS2 = no brainer.

Last edited by djben; 08-16-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:22 PM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by seapar
I think the N rating on the PSS is just politics and timing. I think the testing is well underway; perhaps on the 991 as well. It will be interesting to see the selection of OEM tires on the new 991 model.
I replaced my PS2 with PSS last week and was told that the CPO warranty would not cover suspension damage as a result of a non N rated tire failure. I also was reading in the CPO paperwork that car may not be covered under warranty during track events. I already know my car insurance won't. Can buy track insurance though for whatever value you set for your car, though.
How would your Porsche factory warranty cover you in the event of suspension damage as a result of ANY tire failure, N-Spec or not???

N-Spec are not indestructible and susceptible to damage like any other tire.

If you run over something that blows your tire and damages your car, unless Porsche actually has some super special exceptional warranty, you'd be crazy to try and take it to a dealer for them to perform warranty work on the car.

The best you could try would be to get the repairs on your car insurance, which could cover you depending on your level of coverage and exactly what happened to cause the tire failure.

Am I missing the line in my warranty that says I can blow a tire and have Porsche repair my car for free under warranty if I had N-Spec tires on my car?

I just read through some of it and all I see is how tires are NOT covered by warranty, just like any normal warranty would likely state.

Not that it's a big deal really, it wouldn't affect my tire choice, it just seems outrageous to me.

Last edited by djben; 08-16-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:00 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Just trying to help those concerned with using non N tires: In my last few years of reviewing old posts while searching for suspension discussions, I have never, I repeat, never, run across a situation where warranty or insurance is denied because of using non N rate tires. Don't know about Europe or ROW, but in the US, it is a NEVER. :-) At the tracks all bets are off, but for street driving, anyone has evidence otherwise please correct me as needed. We really should put an end to this rumor.

Paul/speed21, good summary; my humble opinion: PSS. At least here in the US, logic dictates a switch to PSS. The PS is being phased out and Michelin has gone on record as far as PSS being "better." There is less deformation of contact patch - AFAIK edge of tire surface holds shape better during cornering, also better wear, faster on track. The improvement is partly from the use of Twaron, a synthetic aramid fiber, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aramid . Biggest Porsche tire dealer in the US is saying PSS as a matter of course. At nearly half the price (60%) , this is no longer a question.
As mentioned, I used to believe in N too but have lost faith, partly because of the different N situations. Basically we are forced to mix N: new N (designed for newer cars), old N (designed for our cars), whatever is available at the time. There was a thread in rennteam on this and the discussion was that difference between different N's could be significant, depending on which tire, and which year, except of course no one knows exactly the details (!).

GT-TT: So you notice the noise of Pirelli Corsa R comps too? LOL. My Corsa has not aged well with respect to noise and stiffness, where there seems to be an exponential increase in stiffness and noise towards the end. I need a break from R comps now :-) and will try PSS in a couple of weeks. I could give you a report then.
BTW, my next R comps will be either Michelin Cup or Toyo Roxes 888. An excellent US tuner, TPC - who races Porsche professionally, use them and I sure want to experiment and to learn.
Can i wrote you an addendum reply on the other thread of johnww. But while I'm here just want to point out that while the compound may well change between N1/N2, the tire design (sidewalls) would be the same in so far as compensating for any structural requirements of the 911 chassis. FWIW, whatever performance (cornering advantage) the new non n PSS (may) posses I still think you'd be better off safety wise using an N. Remembering that 99% of 911 owners would be hard pressed getting near the cornering limits of the car or tires any decision to use a non N would (logically) primarily be based on $. And I'm not saying this to offend those that have chosen to go the non N route.....just pointing out the facts, and the obvious pitfalls in the process mindful there are many that have asked the questions of late (myself included...hence my investigations). From a technical and safety standpoint and mindful of the potential insurance and warranty implications I'm personally not convinced there really is any saving at all least of all any performance (cornering limit) advantage (unless you are a pro driver) but i guess where money is concerned folks are entitled to see differently and make their choices accordingly.

Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Can't speak for other parts of the world, but in the U.S. and with the litigious society we find ourselves in these days... I suspect a lawyer would have a field day with a warranty/insurance denial based on a tire not being N spec. Especially if the tire that was used was demonstrated to be DOT approved, in the correct sizes, and with suitable speed and load ratings for the vehicle. JMHO.
C32, Knowing how OEM warranties work (due to ongoing involvement) i can assure you OEM's don't flinch when anything is moved away from the standard they have set down. And is the legal road a road you or anyone would really want to go down anyway? Why the talk of legality anyway? Porsche has way more money to throw at these things than you or I. The price difference between the PSS and PS2 N would not touch the sides if you wanted to make a legal argument. Porsche quotes warranty applies with the use of N tires.....not non N tires. Insurers....same. If you can get your dealer or insurer to put it in writing for you that if **** happens in any way shape or form, then it would be wise to get that beforehand.....not after the event or having to go down the protracted road of any form of argument least of all legal. I hear what Can says with regard to his knowledge of zero claims or knockbacks from non N tires but it's cheap earthquake insurance in my books....and thats what insurance is for isn't it.....to cover the hopeful unlikely "won't happen" events? Also no one in this game advertises refusals/denials...it's just something you really aren't likely to hear about....ask me how i know .

Last edited by speed21; 08-17-2011 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
I started this thread and have now had the PSS on for over 3 months and I like them better as far as overall handling, noise, etc.. I do not track so my experience is on the road. Still happy with the choice.
Take a look at Motor Trend testing.. http://mt.kargo.com/entry/view/id/53...4024f081992e86
JS

Old 08-17-2011, 11:22 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Paul the sidewall and tire construction *may* change between N's. I would even say very likely there have been changes simply because tire designs (of course) change over the years. (The thing that drives us all crazy is NO ONE knows exactly what the changes are!)

For example 997.2 GT3 has different suspension from 997.1 GT3 (improvements similar to 997.1 GT2's suspension), and I recall reading in one of the mags that new N is designed specifically for 997.2 GT3. I can't help but think the change is significant, and not necessarily limited to either compound or construction, yet older GT3 is now forced to use N for newer GT3, once the old N is phased out.
Even assuming it is just compound, the characteristic of the tire has changed.

As always, the answer to this controversy is probably in the middle of what we are all asserting; you are correct, the best tire *is* an N tire, but Michelin has changed the N, and some of us changed our car, making the "best" title perhaps less significant. In this case of PSS vs. PS, the price difference, and improved track time, is probably the final straw that from now on breaks me from the N's.

Last edited by cannga; 08-17-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Paul the sidewall and tire construction *may* change between N's. I would even say very likely there have been changes simply because tire designs (of course) change over the years. (The thing that drives us all crazy is NO ONE knows exactly what the changes are!)

For example 997.2 GT3 has different suspension from 997.1 GT3 (improvements similar to 997.1 GT2's suspension), and I recall reading in one of the mags that new N is designed specifically for 997.2 GT3. I can't help but think the change is significant, and not necessarily limited to either compound or construction, yet older GT3 is now forced to use N for newer GT3, once the old N is phased out.
Even assuming it is just compound, the characteristic of the tire has changed.

As always, the answer to this controversy is probably in the middle of what we are all asserting; you are correct, the best tire *is* an N tire, but Michelin has changed the N, and some of us changed our car, making the "best" title perhaps less significant. In this case of PSS vs. PS, the price difference, and improved track time, is probably the final straw that from now on breaks me from the N's.
Hi Can. I would agree the N is the best shoe for the car but disagree with you on the other points. No matter what changes you have made to your car, no matter what the year model and differences (GT3, TT, S and so on), the fundamental design of the car having the engine over the rear wheels and an odd set of widths has not changed. And whilst in certain ways the N tires have, they are still quoted by those from the makers as being the better fit for the car. Putting it this way: the architecture of both car and tire may be improved over time, but fundamental design principles of both remain same. This would account for why neither manufacturer recommend the use f a non N over an N tire. And whilst neither say it can't be done, neither recommend it. I guess they ought to know after all it is their specific area of expertise. It kind of removes the need for end user speculation and guesswork imho .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sport