997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 07:59 PM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by djben
How would your Porsche factory warranty cover you in the event of suspension damage as a result of ANY tire failure, N-Spec or not???
I don't think that's what people are talking about. It's more along the lines of a leaking shock, or broken spring, not accompanied by tire failure, and the dealer hypothetically saying "oops, I see you're not running N spec tires... sorry, your warranty claim is denied."

I can't imagine that happening in the U.S., with the Mag/Moss Act and various consumer-protection laws you mention, assuming the tires are correct in size/speed rating/load rating, but I guess anything's possible.

Along these same lines, I suppose if you're running non-OEM wheels, you're just as exposed to a potential warranty/insurance denial. Bottomline, you're using non-OEM components that are out of spec with how the car was engineered, so Porsche might take a hard line, letter-of-the-law approach. Would be incredibly dumb of them to do that, but hey who knows.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Former Vendor
SupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud of
We had a problem last week CPO'ing a 997TT with Michelin Pilot Supersport BUT after Porsche NA was contacted they approved the CPO with the non N tires....perhaps a change is coming

All Michelin Tires are on sale.

Please PM for pricing or email sales@supremepower.com

Old 08-20-2011, 08:04 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Time for my own review of PS2 vs. Pilot Super Sport. My excitement for this tire has gone down a little bit. First, please note that I am comparing new Super Sport to old PS2; old tires always are noisier and stiffer, so this is one weakness of my comparison. Second I don't have the resources to do the ultimate test: drive car back to back on track, with the tire being the only variable. Third, my evaluation is more or less ... "subjective comparative analysis" in nature - grin. As such, the smaller the difference, the less trustworthy my opinions would be. That is, I am very confident of the difference between PS2 and Pirelli Corsa (it hits you in the face - "once in your life, try R comp"), but much less so about the difference between PS2 and Super Sport. Lastly, as mentioned, I don't claim to be an expert, just a very compulsive driver , so please take this "review" with a grain of salt.

At any rate, in comparison to Pilot Sport 2: WRT to road noise, ride comfort, handling feel, and traction, the Super Sport feels much closer to the Pilot Sport 2 than to the Pirelli R comp. In other words, it might be the best street tire in the world, but is still very much a street tire. Noise level is similar between the PS2 and Super Sport; ride comfort is also very similar. In a blind test, I might not be able to tell the difference.
If there is any difference in tire stiffness, I would say that the Super Sport feels a tad firmer than PS2. But this difference, if true, is small.
From a performance stand point, the Super Sport has been tested to beat other street tires on the track, but IMHO don't look for it to beat R comp/"cup" tire. That is not its mission in life.

I believe the improvement in cornering speed from PS2 to Super Sport is due more to improved traction, than to stiffer sidewall. So far, I have tested traction by taking two curves at the limit, one is a 38 mph curve and the other 60 mph (US street legal value). What I do is drive faster each time until my hair stands up (kidding), and note the speed. I have not had time to test the tire in my favorite Los Angeles twisties yet. Anyway, from this very crude test , I am impressed with the Super Sport's traction. As I push my Turbo with Super Sport more and more to the edge, I am more limited by the car's body roll than by any break in traction. The PS2 at the same speed would feel like it's starting to slide, the Super Sport does not, but again, this is a very subjective opinion. Traction in corners of the Super Sport is impressive, but the softness of the sidewall IMHO will be the cause of its limitation at the track. I don't doubt Michelin's claim of its improved track time, but I do have some reservation about how significant this improvement would be, at least in amateurs' hands.
I am happy with the PSS, it appears to have excellent traction, but is not a revolutionary step up, like I had initially hoped for. The tire has been tested and/or demo'ed with Porsche Turbo, C2S, etc., so in this case the lack of N rating does not mean much and I would definitely take this tire over PS2, even though it has some avoir-du-pois problem. (Despite of Michelin's claim the Super Sport is heavier than PS2 - I'll post the data later.) As a bonus the cost is unbelievably low, and tread wear rating is much improved.

In comparison to Pirelli Corsa: R comps have superior traction, that's obvious. Not often discussed is their more significant wall stiffness and how it affects handling feel. IMHO, the stiff wall "stabilizes" the soft Turbo suspension by reducing the excessive weight transfer (body roll) and brings it closer towards GT3 feel. I do not see this in the Pilot Super Sport - it still imparts that rubbery, bouncy feel, and leans a lot more in corners than the R comp. Those looking for ultimate dry traction and handling in the Turbo IMHO must still look towards the R comps. Of course the usual warning: stiff & noisy particularly when old, not good in the rain, etc.

Last edited by cannga; 09-05-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Dr.Confused is infamous around these parts
Question About Fitting

Hey guys, I need help!

My Pirelli P Zero's are almost down the cord (currently at 1/32mm) in the rear so I need new tires. I really want the Michelin Pilot Super Sports but they are backordered in the 265/35-19 size for my rear 19" Sport Design Rims; they do have the 235/35-19 for the fronts though. I called every tire shop in the area, tirerack, even Michelin headquarters and the only information I could elicit is that the tires will not be made in the 265/35-19 again until 2014!
*All of this makes me no sense to me by the way.

Anyways, I need help on what to do. The rims are 9.5" in width so I was wondering if I could put a 275/35-19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport on them and if so would it be a good idea to put a 245/35-19 on the front opposed to the original 235/35-19?

Lastly, should I just drop the idea of the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and go with either the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position, the Continental ExtremeContact DW, or the Michelin Pilot Sport 2's because these all come in the recommended size?

Thank you for your help.
Sincerely, Dr. Confused.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Former Vendor
SupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud of
Dr. Confused: What kind of car do you have?

Old 10-12-2011, 03:30 PM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SupremePower
Dr. Confused: What kind of car do you have?
definitely not a 997TT running 265s

Looks like an 09 Boxster S.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:37 PM
Oh yeah, sorry, I just google searched Michelin Pilot Super Sports and wound up on this thread. Is there anyway you can still help me? I really do not know what to do.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Former Vendor
This might help

Rolling diameters
235 35 19 25.50" approved for 8-9.5"
245 35 19 25.80" approved for 8-9.5"
265 35 19 26.30" approved for 9-10.5"
275 35 19 26.57" approved for 9-11"
275 30 19 25.60" approved for 9-10"

If you want to discuss further please let me know.

Yes you can run a 245 35 19 and 275 35 19

Old 10-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Thank you so much for your help!

Old 10-13-2011, 12:48 AM
997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute
"has not been tested nor approved by..."

Yeah right! Are you serious when you believe this crap?

http://www.audipassion.com/news/649/...novembre-2010/

This is all marketing BS, nothing else!

David

Old 10-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Former Vendor
dr, Confused: Very welcome. Let me know if you need anything at all

Old 11-03-2011, 10:51 AM
SRW
SRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond repute
Any word on 325/30/19 for GT2/GT3 owners ?

Old 11-06-2011, 09:55 PM
gradyex is infamous around these partsgradyex is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
Any one familiar with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. I have been running PS2's on my last few cars but noticed the Super Sports on Tire Rack while shopping.

Just put a set of the Pilot Super Sports on last month. Got them at Tire Rack for a great price! So far I am really happy with the switch. Once they are broken in they handle as good or better than the PS2's. Something tells me that they are going to last longer too. They seem to have a little more meat on them. My installer told me to get a tire depth gauge and take a reading of the front tires right away. As soon as the rubber on the front tires gets to the 1/2 way mark replace the rears. Of course it has to be the same brand/model. No need to buy all 4 tires next time around. As a comparison when I purchased the PS2's at my Porsche dealership along with the 4 wheel alignment I spent close to $3k. This time I had the Super Sports shipped to a highly recommended installer in the Bay Area. Including the 4 wheel alignment it came to $1.5k total for all 4 tires. That is a significant savings!

Old 11-07-2011, 08:27 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
[quote=gradyex;3364958]Just put a set of the Pilot Super Sports on last month. Got them at Tire Rack for a great price! So far I am really happy with the switch. Once they are broken in they handle as good or better than the PS2's. Something tells me that they are going to last longer too. They seem to have a little more meat on them. My installer told me to get a tire depth gauge and take a reading of the front tires right away. As soon as the rubber on the front tires gets to the 1/2 way mark replace the rears. Of course it has to be the same brand/model. No need to buy all 4 tires next time around. As a comparison when I purchased the PS2's at my Porsche dealership along with the 4 wheel alignment I spent close to $3k. This time I had the Super Sports shipped to a highly recommended installer in the Bay Area. Including the 4 wheel alignment it came to $1.5k total for all 4 tires. That is a significant savings![
------
My 2007 turbo alsways does two rears to each fronts tire change with my PS2 N1s. Right now N1 fronts are still fine and will put two PSS on rear or two PS2 N2. Dealer says he will only install the N2s if I keep my good N1s on front. Question: why the 4-wheel alignment if all tires wearing correctly?? Incidently, Supreme Power(Eric) has PS2 N2s ~price as PSSs.

Last edited by johnww; 11-07-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Former Vendor
SRW: I have submitted a request to see if I can get more info on the size and if they are going to be offering it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sport