997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 12:53 PM
gradyex is infamous around these partsgradyex is infamous around these parts
[QUOTE=johnww;3365202]
Originally Posted by gradyex
Just put a set of the Pilot Super Sports on last month. Got them at Tire Rack for a great price! So far I am really happy with the switch. Once they are broken in they handle as good or better than the PS2's. Something tells me that they are going to last longer too. They seem to have a little more meat on them. My installer told me to get a tire depth gauge and take a reading of the front tires right away. As soon as the rubber on the front tires gets to the 1/2 way mark replace the rears. Of course it has to be the same brand/model. No need to buy all 4 tires next time around. As a comparison when I purchased the PS2's at my Porsche dealership along with the 4 wheel alignment I spent close to $3k. This time I had the Super Sports shipped to a highly recommended installer in the Bay Area. Including the 4 wheel alignment it came to $1.5k total for all 4 tires. That is a significant savings![
------
My 2007 turbo alsways does two rears to each fronts tire change with my PS2 N1s. Right now N1 fronts are still fine and will put two PSS on rear or two PS2 N2. Dealer says he will only install the N2s if I keep my good N1s on front. Question: why the 4-wheel alignment if all tires wearing correctly?? Incidently, Supreme Power(Eric) has PS2 N2s ~price as PSSs.

My rears had excessive wear on the inside threads (right on the edge) to the point where the steel popped through. Even though it is normal to have the inner threads wear quicker in the rear on a Porsche I felt it was a bit excessive so I decided to do the alignment too. Turned out that 3 numbers were in the red and now that its corrected I do feel a difference although it isn't huge. The rears do go first and thats why the owner of the shop recommended measuring the front threads when new and replacing the rears when the fronts were half way gone.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Former Vendor
SupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud ofSupremePower has much to be proud of
We do have good stock on the tires and we are also offering the $70 rebate when you purchase 4 michelins. Great prices as always on Michelin tires. Let me know how I can assist guys

Thanks!

Old 12-16-2011, 04:56 AM
Alex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond repute
I am in the market for some PSS tyres right now here in the UK.

I am a bit worried about how these perform in under 7 degC weather though. Any direct experiences yet guys??

Old 12-17-2011, 04:03 AM
Alex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Just read this whole thread and surprised to see nobody has supplied this info already:

1) Says on the Michelin site that the PSS was developed WITH Porsche: http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/mich...ot-super-sport
2) From the pic in this press release comparing to PS2 you can see the differences: http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/news/ne...t-pss-1264.php
3) At a recent big Porsche event I spoke with one of the head guys at Michelin and he said that the PSS would not be changed with the upcoming N rating
4) If the PSS is good enough for a Veyron then it's good enough for any Porsche!

I have ordered a set for Monday!

Old 12-17-2011, 06:13 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alex_997TT
Just read this whole thread and surprised to see nobody has supplied this info already:

1) Says on the Michelin site that the PSS was developed WITH Porsche: http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/mich...ot-super-sport
2) From the pic in this press release comparing to PS2 you can see the differences: http://www.event-tyres.co.uk/news/ne...t-pss-1264.php
3) At a recent big Porsche event I spoke with one of the head guys at Michelin and he said that the PSS would not be changed with the upcoming N rating
4) If the PSS is good enough for a Veyron then it's good enough for any Porsche!

Let me know how you get on with them Alex as they could be my next set of tyres too.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:35 AM
997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute
I am in the market for some PSS tyres right now here in the UK.

I am a bit worried about how these perform in under 7 degC weather though. Any direct experiences yet guys??
Hello Alex and all

Just went through 700 km of highway yesterday. Rain, snow, temps down sometimes to 0,5 deg C. With slight bursts of speed up to 130 mph. I do not have much experience on the 997 so I can't compare but it looks like I'm plenty satisfied with the service provided by my PSS.

David

Old 12-18-2011, 10:45 AM
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute

Not surprising at all to me, I've been saying this since page 1. Thank you for sharing yet more overwhelming evidence that Pcar owners should be wrapping their wheels in PSS tires (unless you're in a country where it messes with your warranty).

Just finished up a track weekend on the PSS. Good god do they grip once you've got them up to temperature and get them down to the right pressure

Last edited by djben; 12-18-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
If Michelin is that committed to Porsche with the PSS, why isn't the PSS available in the stock size for the 996 TT? None of the listings I have seen include an 18 inch 295 width tire.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:07 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Hey guys, I'm running Pirreli tires on my car -sizes: 325/25/20 (if I remember correctly the wheel is 12" in the rear) and the fronts 245/30/20 on Champion RG5 20-inch wheels.

I'm curious if any of you would know if the 315's or the 345's would fit on the rear and 255/30 on the front???
Where would I get matching size info - short of calling my service center?

Old 12-19-2011, 09:25 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pureporsche
Hey guys, I'm running Pirreli tires on my car -sizes: 325/25/20 (if I remember correctly the wheel is 12" in the rear) and the fronts 245/30/20 on Champion RG5 20-inch wheels.

I'm curious if any of you would know if the 315's or the 345's would fit on the rear and 255/30 on the front???
Where would I get matching size info - short of calling my service center?
Read this before you get too wild - some tire combos can burn out the AWD differential.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...15s-rears.html

Old 12-19-2011, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by GTRNICK
Let me know how you get on with them Alex as they could be my next set of tyres too.
Well PSS went on today. It's 4 degC and raining here and the first mini-roundabout was like ice-skating!

Took the car for a 5 minute spin and the grip seem to improve.

However, my front-right lost 2 PSI pressure in those 5 minutes, so I took the car back to the fitter and put in another 2 PSI and then took for a 10 minute drive.

The tyre pressure 'seems' stable now - perhaps the rubber just wasn't seated 100% on the rim and let out a few PSI once moving?! Anyone experienced that before?

Will measure again tomorrow morning to see if any more Nitrogen has leaked out. If so I will get the fitter to take the tyre off and try check for cracks etc in the rubber around the rims.

First impressions: tyre noise has almost disappeared compared to the roar from the old Pirellis!

Old 12-19-2011, 12:30 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Alex, no problem with pressure here. As others have mentioned, this is an outstanding street tire with impressive traction.

Its side-wall is soft, making it very comfortable for street. This also implies that for the hard-core track guys, Michelin Cup or Pirelli Corsa is still the ticket. R comps also bring traction to crazy-glue level. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...stiffness.html

Old 12-19-2011, 01:13 PM
w00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to behold
This tyres rock!

I had Bridgestone and i hated them. Too much noise and very hard on bad roads.
The PSS are smoother and quieter. I felt the difference with just a few miles

My tyres also lost pressure. I'll have to check them tomorrow.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:16 PM
aggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the rough
I put PSS's on my 2009 C2S in April, replacing the original PS2's. The PSS's have now done 8000 kims (5000 miles) and 3 track days. I cant seem to upload a picture right now but will try again later.

Regardless my overall impression is that they are better than the PS2, a bit faster at the track (around 1 second at Phillip Island which is a MotoGP track with a lap time of around 1m 53 sec in my car). But quieter? Nope; that's just old tyre vs. new tyre. The road noise issue is a 997 thing. Someone forgot to tick the "add underseal" button when the thing was being designed....

Tried the photo load again - working now......

Attached Images   

Last edited by aggie57; 12-19-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:25 PM
w00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to behold
My guess is if you had PS2's you wont feel the difference because they are already quieter than Pirelli's or Bridgestone's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sport