997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 02:34 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by aggie57
Regardless my overall impression is that ...but quieter? Nope; that's just old tyre vs. new tyre.
Sure - comparison of new tire to old tire is tricky, as old tyres invariably get noisier and stiffer. I think for overall noise and comfort, the PSS is similar to old Michelin PS2.

Where the PSS is a game changer is one, price vs. PS2, and two, treadwear for the degree of traction it has. IOW, one could have some rough idea of the treadwear rating based on "stickiness," stickier tire has worse treadwear in general. The PSS is different; it has better traction **AND** (much) better treadwear than PS2 (around 220 vs. 300)!

The one negative aspect with PSS is its weight. PS2 was the lightest street tire available; PSS is heavier, 2-3 lbs per tire.

Last edited by cannga; 12-19-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:07 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Sure - comparison of new tire to old tire is tricky, as old tyres invariably get noisier and stiffer. I think for overall noise and comfort, the PSS is similar to old Michelin PS2.

Where the PSS is a game changer is one, price vs. PS2, and two, treadwear for the degree of traction it has. IOW, one could have some rough idea of the treadwear rating based on "stickiness," stickier tire has worse treadwear in general. The PSS is different; it has better traction **AND** (much) better treadwear than PS2 (around 220 vs. 300)!

The one negative aspect with PSS is its weight. PS2 was the lightest street tire available; PSS is heavier, 2-3 lbs per tire.
Can, I think you hit the nail on the head re the price point, but the ultimate tell all will be whether Porsche ever supply this tire on the 991 as standard tire equipment. Any bets?
I see some prop their decision to use the PSS due to its on track performance vs PS2 but the reality the right tire for the track is the PSC/R...or a slick. Why use your road tires for the track? They will never be the same after. A track tire only has so many heat cycles in it so if you are serious about safety and general comfort, combining a tire for track and general DD use you cant go past having 2 sets of wheels/tires anyway. FWIW I do agree the PSS is certainly attractive with its cheaper price......but shame about the weight. Kind of strips away at the benefits of your light weight forged alloys .

Last edited by speed21; 12-20-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:52 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
I own my 997tt two years now and still cant find a tire to make me happy...

Old 12-20-2011, 07:15 AM
Alex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cannga
Alex, no problem with pressure here.
Pressure seems to have stabilized now. So perhaps it was just the rubber not being seated 100% until the wheel was moving at speed - which somehow let out 2PSI.

Anyone know how many miles you need to do in these before they rubber in?

Last edited by Alex_997TT; 12-20-2011 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:18 AM
Alex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond reputeAlex_997TT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by aggie57
But quieter? Nope; that's just old tyre vs. new tyre. The road noise issue is a 997 thing.
Agreed but Michelins are MUCH quieter than Pirelli or Bridgestone for the 997. PSS may be the same as PS2 but I have not had Michelins for a few years (not through choice) and forgot what a huge difference there is. Pirelli in particular are deafening even from new.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:32 AM
997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute
The road noise issue was a problem for my 7yo kid (for me too). I bought a bose quiet comfort 15 headset for this purpose. I can tell you that the difference in comfort is huge. My kid loves it (and so do I). For long trips, it is a real relief.

David

Old 12-20-2011, 08:04 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alex_997TT
Pressure seems to have stabilized now. So perhaps it was just the rubber not being seated 100% until the wheel was moving at speed - which somehow let out 2PSI.

Anyone know how many miles you need to do in these before they rubber in?
Mine were seated at install - never any loss of pressure.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:46 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Hey Paul, yes, my tire dealer says Pilot Super Sport is standard issue for Porsche 991 going forward. As always they will have a mix of different brands but the standard Michelin is going to be PSS, and PS2 will be phased out. Here in the US if you go to a good Porsche tire shop, the replacement to PSS is almost automatic, no more PS2.

And yes the weight gain is somewhat disappointing - it is unsprung weight but more than that.
1. Brake caliper: unsprung weight.
2. Brake disc and wheel: unsprung weight + rotational. (More harmful.)
3. Tire: unsprung weight + rotational + being at the periphery.
Tire being number 3, is the last place where you want to gain weight. Angular momentum is proportional to radius, so weight gain at the periphery has more angular momentum and affects acceleration and braking and steering (due to gyroscopic effect) more than at the center.

Anyone reading this don't get me wrong though, I think the PSS is an excellent street tire with outstanding traction. I have them on my car and love them. Just that sometimes it's so much more interesting and eductional to find negative things to talk about.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:51 PM
997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute997tttiplux has a reputation beyond repute
Can,

I think you get right to the point.
And I'm wondering if it's not even proportional to square of radius.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia

David

Old 12-20-2011, 01:31 PM
aggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the roughaggie57 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 997tttiplux
The road noise issue was a problem for my 7yo kid (for me too). I bought a bose quiet comfort 15 headset for this purpose. I can tell you that the difference in comfort is huge. My kid loves it (and so do I). For long trips, it is a real relief.

David
I was wondering if that would work. Thanks for the info - I'll give it a go next time I do a road trip.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:39 PM
in fact it's so efficient that when you remove it (still driving) you first wonder if the engine (or car) isn't going to break down. "How can this cabin be so noisy?" you then wonder. Highly recommended guys.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:02 PM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
I just test drove a 997TT with PSS tires...Very very quiet Vs Pzero.Also I had the feeling that the traction was there from the start...i really liked them...Pirelli tires need years to warm up...

Old 12-20-2011, 03:24 PM
GT-TT is infamous around these partsGT-TT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by skandalis447
I just test drove a 997TT with PSS tires...Very very quiet Vs Pzero.Also I had the feeling that the traction was there from the start...i really liked them...Pirelli tires need years to warm up...
dimitri wha did you think vs the corsa for a fast 997?

Old 12-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
Hey guys
I started this thread 7 months ago. Have put plenty of miles on the car and could not be happier with the PSS. Like I said earlier I don't track but like to take an aggressive drive when the opportunity presents itself. The tires are definitely quieter than the Pirelis and I feel even than the PS2's of which I had gone through several sets. My wife says I don't have great hearing though so maybe I'm wrong. Traction is improved and overall wear will take some time to determine. I did hear too they will be standard on the 991.
I'm glad I pulled the trigger when I did and did not get influenced by the nay sayers. Winter is around the corner here so the car is getting ready to hibernate for the next 2 months till spring starts to show it's face.
Happy holidays to all and a safe and prosperous new year.
JS

Old 12-21-2011, 04:31 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skandalis447
Skand if you've had a bad run with tires on Porsches the Pzeros are only at best fine up to @ 5000kms then they get progressively very very noisy and deteriorate. I persevered with the p zeros on my previous porsches with the same result every time. After using Bridgestone and the Mich i would never touch a p zero again. They PZero don't really wear well and get out of balance....and they aren't that cheap either. The Mich to me is the best tire I've experienced to date without a doubt. I know the Mich PSCR has mixed user opinions on track but i find them good if the alignment is set up properly....but that really goes for getting the best out of the car with any tire. The right alignment really makes a BIG difference.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sport