997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Finally...the long road to my 997.1 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 12:25 PM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
Finally...the long road to my 997.1 turbo

Three months ago I went to the Barrett Jackson auctions up in Phoenix with some good friends. We decided to stop by the dealerships in North Scottsdale just to look around. For a while I had been planning to get into either a 997 turbo or a GT3 so naturally one of our stops was Porsche North Scottsdale. They happened to have a 2007 turbo 6MT that I was able to test drive and the power had me instantaneously hooked.

The very next week I started my search for a 997.1 turbo and in a few weeks I found pretty much an ideal turbo out in Los Angeles. I had a trip planned to Cali a few weeks out and even offered to put down a deposit on the car, but the dealership stated they cannot take a deposit on the car since it was on consignment. A week was left for me to go to LA and I came VERY close to making an extra trip out there just to see the car and do the paperwork. I figured it had been on sale 90+ days so another week wasn't going to hurt. Unfortunately, the car sold that weekend and my search continued.

I looked and talked with various dealerships from around the country, and by the end of February I found one out on the east coast. The car had all of the right options,CPO, though it did have 27k miles on it. The deal was done, I worked a trade with my 2008 M3 (I had a buyer for the M3 and just needed it in the books for the tax credit), and all of the paperwork was completed. The buyer for my M3 came out and picked up my M3 on March 8 to drive it back to Cali. Several days later the turbo I purchased left from the east coast Porsche dealership in an enclosed carrier en route to AZ.

The day had finally come in mid-March when the turbo was to be delivered to my house. I was stoked all week and was just happy as can be. BUT it was not meant to be as the car was damaged while being unloaded from the truck. I told them from day one I did not want that car back; just my money or a replacement vehicle. In my eyes the car I purchased was clean; it had a clean history, no history of damage, etc and even if they repaired it imho it will never be the same. This does not even take into consideration other potential problems that could arise in the future, or the fact that the car would be a tough sell when it comes time down the road to sell her. I stood firm on my position, spoke with attorneys, and every week I had a different story or possible solution from the parties responsible. It took a month for the transport's insurance company to work out something satisfactory. I also spent that month looking for more turbos and I ended up finding two in Southern Cal that I particularly liked.

It was around the first to second week of April that the winning solution came to be, and it was also the first week of April that I made a deal on one of the 07 Turbo's in SoCal that I liked. I put a deposit down on the turbo and drove out to Cali with my wife and close friends to make a trip out of it. I arrived to the Porsche dealership late on a Saturday morning and the car was parked under the service drive. She definitely looked great and was quite a special build. I took her out for a test drive and everything checked out nice as far as what I could tell. I went ahead and did the paperwork right after, left the car at the dealership, and came back the next day to drive her back home to Arizona. The car has been great thus far though I must admit I have not driven the turbo all that much so far (400 miles back to AZ, and a few trips around town the last several weeks). This turbo is arctic silver, 6MT, had 10,900 miles, CPO, and ALL the right options plus tons extra. I will post pics and some build info shortly!

Old 05-06-2011, 12:26 PM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold

Last edited by M32911S; 05-06-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:26 PM

Last edited by M32911S; 05-06-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:53 PM
LosPer is a jewel in the roughLosPer is a jewel in the roughLosPer is a jewel in the roughLosPer is a jewel in the rough
Nice! I love the silver. It was my first choice, alas I could not find one convenient to me in the condition and with the options I was looking for. I'm happy with the black...but not with all the work required to keep it looking good!

Best of luck with it brother!

Old 05-06-2011, 01:25 PM
nyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud of
Congrats, stunning interior .......the silver stitching and painted seatbacks are awesome.
Drive it in good health!!!

Old 05-06-2011, 01:41 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Quite an ordeal! Congrats on the purchase. At first I thought you bought a Mexico Blue TT

If you're ever up in the Valley, lemme know!

Old 05-06-2011, 02:17 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Congrats on your fine purchase and enjoy her in good health.

Who was your salesman at Pioneer? Drive safe mate.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:05 PM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
not to jack the topic, but the pictures made me think of the Q. -- is it possible to paint the seat backs after the fact (within reason ... I know anything is possible)? Those just look so good.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:13 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Congrats. Great looking car. Enjoy!!!

Old 05-06-2011, 03:17 PM
RNS
RNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to behold
Congrats on the turbo, it looks great! Sorry to hear about the shipping issue, but looks like you ended up with a winner in the end. Once you're able to settle into the car you'll have to let us know your impressions of the turbo compared to the M3.

I recently had my shipped (when purchasing from an individual) and we were extremely careful with the entire process.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few tips for anyone looking to SHIP A CAR (my personal opinion):

1. Only with ENCLOSED shipping. No exceptions.

2. If the trailer stacks two cars tall, make sure you're on the TOP LEVEL. A friend who shipped his F355 spider recently had his car shipped, was on the bottom tier, and a car above him dripped coolant onto the cloth convertible section of his car...horrible. He's still trying to get reimbursed for it, but no payment will ever make it mint again.

3. Understand how many times you're car is going to be loaded and unloaded between when it's picked up and dropped off. Insist on zero load/unloads beyond the one to get it on and the one to take it off. First on last out. Nobody is going to be dinging up my car!

4. VIDEO TAPE the loading: have the seller video tape the car being loaded onto the trailer and send you a copy of the file. My seller was very kind, looked after the turbo as if it was one of his children, and shared my passion for making sure nothing happened when it was being loaded onto the trailer by the company I selected.

5. VIDEO TAPE the unloading: for obvious reasons...and side benefit of having the "birth" of your car to keep later on.

Enjoy in good health!

Old 05-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats on the new ride! It is beautiful!!! LOVE the interior! Enjoy and keep us posted!

Old 05-06-2011, 06:15 PM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
Congrats!

I remember your Porsche! I too was looking at the same time and saw that one from Pioneer Porsche! When I called them, they said they had sold it already. Glad to know it went to someone who really worked hard for it and deserved it!

I guess you were destined for your car and I was for mine! Couple of weeks after you purchased yours, I ended up getting a black on beige (my favorite color scheme!) 07 TT, CPO from Vegas with 7600 miles on it. I already have put 1000 miles on it in 2 weeks! Enjoy your sweet ride and don't worry about the mileage...enjoy it!!!

Old 05-06-2011, 06:42 PM
996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute
Beautiful car! Enjoy!

Old 05-06-2011, 07:18 PM
ETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant future
Congrats! Thats a great looking interior

How long did that tape job take you?!

Old 05-06-2011, 07:21 PM
TT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud ofTT Chris has much to be proud of
Congrats!

How long did it take to put all that painters tape on it? Or did the dealer do it for you?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally...the long road to my 997.1 turbo