997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Leather Care/Treatment for Seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 05:50 AM
steven1 is infamous around these partssteven1 is infamous around these parts
Leather Care/Treatment for Seats

Hello all I have an 08 997tt with about 10k miles and I have noticed that my Adaptive Sport seats are begining to look worn in and may start cracking. I have read a few posts on leather cleaners and treatments and read some members use Zymol and some used leatherique I am not to concerned on getting that "leather smell" yet more concerned for getting the seats looking new and refreshed. Any help would be appeciated

Old 05-15-2011, 07:01 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
i have actually used the klasse product and been quite pleased

Old 05-15-2011, 08:06 AM
floridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud of
There r many good products out there, I use Wolfgang leather conditioner. Moe in the detailer section is very helpful and can also recommend product.

Ken

Old 05-15-2011, 09:57 AM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
I've been curious about this too. I love the factory leather smell and haven't used a treatment yet as I prefer the factory look versus dark (higher shine sheen). I realize the leather needs to be treated accordingly so may have to try something also.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:08 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Leatherique is a good product, but very labor intensive. I've heard great things about Leathermasters. Will probably give that a try next time around.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:15 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Griots, Zymol, and Leather Masters are all good.

Jason

Old 05-15-2011, 03:11 PM
spainconection is infamous around these parts
zymol

Old 05-15-2011, 10:35 PM
RNS
RNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to beholdRNS is a splendid one to behold
Steven, I have an 09TT (adaptive seats, black leather) and just gave every piece of leather the full Zymol application: Zymol Leather Cleaner (applied through a soft cotton terry cloth) and then Zymol Treat (applied using their own zymol pre-was terry applicator pad). Before making my decision I did a lot of 6speed research and sounded like this rose to the top, and I'm very happy with the results.

Cleaner Impressions:
- Leather Cleaner is better than expected. Much more than a safe cleaner, it actually provides some oils back into the leather. Very safe, can't go wrong. The ONLY way I'll clean the leather for the rest of the car's life.

Treat Impressions:
- Goal: Leather Treat really brings life to the leather. My black leather was only 2 years old, but I wanted to make sure it stays in as perfect condition as possible.
- Pad: The zymol applicator pads are great...better than expected. Just as they say, it makes it extremely easy to get the right amount of Treat applied to the leather without clogging the stitching/etc. Very clean application of the Treat. I absolutely recommend their applicator pads when taking the time to "treat" the leather.
- Look: After applying Treat, my black leather is darker than it was before. I take this as a good thing, as leather that is not cared for (obviously) becomes lighter with age. To me, it looks MUCH better (richer in true color) than before I applied the Treat (it was improved after Leather Cleaner was applied, and improved greatly above that after the Treat was applied). You can SEE how healthy the leather looks now.
- Smell: I say it's more of a banana smell than what I personally think of as leather smell, but my opinion. I wish it was more of a raw leather smell, if I had to pick on one thing to make better. The strength of the Treat's banana smell fades with time. It smells nice, just not as nice as I was ideally hoping for. But knowing the quality condition the leather is now in, it quickly overrides me ever selecting a different product with potentially better smell, but that would not care for my leather as well as the zymol treat did. For me, quality and longevity of the leather is more important than what type of smell is given to the leather.

I plan to keep using these products. One fun thing learned throughout this process is just HOW MUCH LEATHER is in the car! Small areas I would have never expected.

good luck in your research and decision...

Last edited by RNS; 05-15-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:56 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
I have used both Zymol and Lexol.

Lexol is a slightly better product.
How is it better? Leather softening or suppleness.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:48 AM
mathys is just really nicemathys is just really nicemathys is just really nicemathys is just really nicemathys is just really nice
I use Gliptone cleaner+conditioner or Swissvax products. Both leave a nice smell and do a great job. A big chance compared to a lot of products which make the leather just awful shiny, instead of going for the factory oem look.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:29 AM
pepper1 is infamous around these parts
I have used Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner with great results. Great leather smell afterwards.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:23 AM
drsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant future
These are the products I've used: Zymol, Leatherique, Advance Leather Solutions, Leather Master, Zaino, Lexol, einszett, and 303 Aerospace Protectant - my quest for the best has brought me back to Leatherique. You only use the system twice a year and maintain the leather as often as needed with Prestine Clean spray. http://www.detailedimage.com/ has a sale now through 5/20. I'd get 16oz of the oil and 32oz of the Prestine Clean with a spray attachment. Read these articles:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...roduct-review/
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...r-care-how-to/

Old 05-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
+1 for Leatherique. It involves more effort, but over time it's worth it. Plus, if you have any questions you can just call them. Great customer service.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:59 AM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
I've used Armor-all Leather protectant on my 997 tt (beige leather) and my SL 65 (black leather). Seems to work fine and simple to apply. I'm curious what the other forum members think because it seems no one uses armor-all products anymore.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:59 AM
steven1 is infamous around these partssteven1 is infamous around these parts
Thanks guys for all the responses. I will probably try the Zymol products.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
RNS- how long does the banana smell last for I don’t really want to be smelly bananas every day??<o></o>
<o></o>
Also you mentioned an applicator pad that you use are you referring to this type of pad? I found this one on Amazon but it shows for "wax" not sure if I can use that one.<o></o>
<o></o>
http://www.amazon.com/Zymol-500-Wax-...9&sr=8-2-spell

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Leather Care/Treatment for Seats