997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

And it's down to 2 - help me decide

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
And it's down to 2 - help me decide

Well, my 3 month quest to purchase a 911 TT is almost over. There are two cars that I am deciding between and thoughts and opinions are being requested of the 6 Speed brotherhood.

Options that both cars have: Adaptive sport seats, heated seats, sport chrono, PCCB, 3 spoke MF wheel, CPO, full leather.

Car # 1:
2007 - 11,xxx miles
Slate Grey / Natual Grey (looks almost black not grey... weird)
Additional options/upgrades: Axel-diff lock, parking sensors, carbon package, clear bra.
Car is in PERFECT shape.

Car # 2:
2008 - 7,xxx miles
Bas. Black / Black
Additional options/upgrades: Calibre radar, AWE exhaust.
Car is clean. Needs a good detail, 2 dings removed via PDR and a rattle needs to be fixed in the rear (should not be an issue). Interior is not as clean as the 2007, but with only 7K on the clock, how bad can it be? Overall a very nice car.

Notes:
1) Slate Grey - I like it but the color but is Black more desireable and easier to sell? I have read all the reviews on Slate Grey, but I want to make sure my car is not going to look brown/gold/green. Thoughts? Looks mostly grey to me with some nice earth tones in certain light. Kind of cool/different/interesting.
2) I am going to be tracking this car. Is Axle-diff a big improvement?
3) Financing options are better with the 2008.
4) 2008 is approx 6K more than the 2007. Is this worth it? Is there no difference as they both are pre .2?
5) No original exhaust for the 2008. It is loud...... but I like it for now.
6) My DD is black/black. Stupid to have 2 B/B cars?
7) DME is clean for 2007 (only 3 ignitions in range 3). Don't have DME for the 2008 as of yet but I will.

I'm probably missing something but I have laid out the pertinent details. So, what do you say?

You will note that I only provided the difference in price and not the selling price of each for a couple reasons. However, both cars are a couple grand more than they should but I'm not going to travel across the country to save 3-5K. Don't have the time, have to pay shipping, travel, etc. and I dont want to wait 2-4 more weeks. I need some TT action....

Last edited by Michael_s; 05-21-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: added #7 - DME - Thanks Abby997TT.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Abby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura about
I would take the 07. It seems like previous owner took much better care of it judge from interior and exterior condition.
Slate gray is a special color, 3k option I believe ? Also, I would only buy a stock car and mod it myself.
Get the DME read out and see which one is cleaner.

Last edited by Abby997TT; 05-21-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:38 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Think I'd be inclined to take the 07. Negligible as far as the difference in miles. 07's and 08's have no technological or cosmetic differences. LSD is probably only fully appreciated on a track, so if that's one of your main uses of the car, I think it's important.
Slate grey is a beautiful color. Think Basalt Black has more peculiarities in it that may make it a harder sell in the future.
Think you should test out aftermarket exhausts for yourself instead of just taking the one that comes with a car.
Haven't heard great things about Calibre.

Hmmm...the more I write, the more it seems the 07 would be my only logical choice. GL, Michael. Let us know what you decide (with pics!).

Old 05-21-2011, 08:41 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
i also vote for the 07 seemed the owner cared much more.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:49 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
A car that has been meticulously maintained is top priority in my book. Someone who will let some cosmetic dings go might also let maintenance issues go

Old 05-22-2011, 04:02 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Thanks all. I agree with the opinions so far. My only concern with the 2007 was/is the color. Originally I was told the car was Meteor Grey but when I got there I knew it was Slate. I don't want to wake up after the honeymoon and say "dayum my car looks brown". In the shade the car is def grey, but in the direct sun some interesting colors come out.

As to the 2008, I am going to get the DME scan and service records. It is possible this rules the car out. The DME on the 2007 only has 3 ignitions in range 3. 4-6 nada.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:20 AM
mat911 is a splendid one to beholdmat911 is a splendid one to beholdmat911 is a splendid one to beholdmat911 is a splendid one to beholdmat911 is a splendid one to beholdmat911 is a splendid one to beholdmat911 is a splendid one to behold

Old 05-22-2011, 07:34 AM
CaptnCrash is infamous around these parts
I'm going to take the contrarian view here. 2008 .. Given the mileage, maintenance or lack there of is not that big a deal, simply little to none required for the miles on the car. Yes, yearly and such, but any indy can give it a once over. The DME report and official P maintenance records should have some importance, and you don't have those yet so it's tough to make a decision.

You can probably use the "dings" as a bargaining tool to reduce the price, maybe significantly. If they are small, a good shop can usually fix those quickly and cheaply.

But the DME readout is a must. You need to determine if this thing was used and abused by some teenager or it just lived in a rough area and was a DD at the mercy of a mall parking lot at times. If the DME looks good and a PPI looks good the 2008 without a doubt.

--CC

Old 05-22-2011, 10:18 AM
Thank you for all of the replies so far and everyone has good thoughts and please keep them coming.

I am really on the fence and would like to make a special point to say that the 2008 Black/Black was in very good condition. To me the dings (very small parking lot dings) do not look like anything more than an a-hole in a parking lot.

Regrdless, the assumption for both cars is that 1) DME is clean (nothing over range 3) 2) clean service history and 3) clean PPI.

Not trying to sway the crowd, just feel like I gave the impression the 2008 was torn up and it certainly is not.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Former Vendor
ImolaMS is infamous around these parts
Here's our slate grey, I was open to Atlas Grey, Slate Grey and Black. I found an 07 in excellent condition

Old 05-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Slate looks awesome in that photo. Do you find the color is mostly grey?

Old 05-22-2011, 11:31 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
slate is a great color
Don't underestimate LSD , it's a deal breaker for me not having it, ESP at the track .

Old 05-22-2011, 11:31 AM
APRTunedVW is infamous around these parts
i'd go with the 07. mainly because of diff lock and lack of modifications. and if slate grey looks anything like that pic above that color is awesome. I currently own a black car, and probably won't ever own another one. best of luck choosing

Old 05-22-2011, 11:48 AM
MIA997TTBeast is infamous around these partsMIA997TTBeast is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ImolaMS
Here's our slate grey, I was open to Atlas Grey, Slate Grey and Black. I found an 07 in excellent condition

The car looks sick! Looks like it has a "hard on" from the exhaust tips. Love the fabspeed tips tho.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by APRTunedVW
i'd go with the 07. mainly because of diff lock and lack of modifications. and if slate grey looks anything like that pic above that color is awesome. I currently own a black car, and probably won't ever own another one. best of luck choosing
Here are some pics of the Slate Grey......

Name:  IMG_5188.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  227.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5190.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  231.0 KB

Name:  IMG_5186.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  210.9 KB

Name:  IMG_5187.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  244.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5189.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  197.9 KB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: And it's down to 2 - help me decide