997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

6k mile 997 Turbo Getting the 68mm Goods!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Those are some good numbers! Is it with standard 997tt hotside or GT2 hotside? I'll be interested in hearing about how the boost response feels on a 6speed with these turbos vs stock ones. Presumably a bit more lag b/c of the larger compressor wheel? Are you able to show a graph of VE comparing these turbos to stock? I think I recall that the VE is a good indicator of boost response.
These are standard hot-sides, not GT2. Boost response on the 6Speed is really good. We've done several of them before and there isn't much increase in lag at all. By VE do you mean vane frequency? Help me out...it's Friday, i'm slacking on my acronyms..lol.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:36 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
lol
volumetric efficiency. There was a thread earlier on VE comparing some turbos and it seems to correlate with boost response.
I'm looking forward to some 60-130 times for the 6speed but understand that it will be up to the customer to provide that as you've previously stated. The hp/tq numbers are well and good but the performance numbers are what will loosen the pursestrings!

Old 06-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
lol
volumetric efficiency. There was a thread earlier on VE comparing some turbos and it seems to correlate with boost response.
I'm looking forward to some 60-130 times for the 6speed but understand that it will be up to the customer to provide that as you've previously stated. The hp/tq numbers are well and good but the performance numbers are what will loosen the pursestrings!
Oh...gotcha. I'll have to wait until Monday when Louis gets back in the office to ask him if he's got that data, or if it's something he wants to share.

The car will be ready for pickup this coming week. Just need to add the wheels and do a little road testing. After that....it'll be up to him to get the 60-130's and all that.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:03 PM
sam12345 is a splendid one to beholdsam12345 is a splendid one to beholdsam12345 is a splendid one to beholdsam12345 is a splendid one to beholdsam12345 is a splendid one to beholdsam12345 is a splendid one to beholdsam12345 is a splendid one to behold
These look nice.

Too bad your sales department is so rude that they ignore my PM asking for a price quote and help.

Perhaps me mentioning i want to mod the car on a budget makes me not worthy to speak to you guys.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by sam12345
These look nice.

Too bad your sales department is so rude that they ignore my PM asking for a price quote and help.

Perhaps me mentioning i want to mod the car on a budget makes me not worthy to speak to you guys.

hmmm, sorry you feel that way Sam. I answer all my PM's within 24 hours, and I just checked back the past few weeks and I don't see any PM's from you at all. Are you sure you sent them to the right name?

*Edit*....I found your message Sam. You had sent it to our "sales@champion" user ID. Unfortunately the person who used to use that ID is no longer with our company, and no one has checked it in a few weeks. I've got your message now and I'll put some information together and send it over to you this afternoon. Would you prefer email? I'm sorry for the mistake.

Last edited by Tom@Champion; 06-10-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:37 PM
floridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud of
Hey Tom thanks again for the tour today. I really appreciate how accommodating you were and the facility is THE best. Nice to have an opportunity to see some of the "behind the scenes" and someone as knowledgeable as u share some of that info with me.

This 68mm build looks awesome in person and now has got me interested....wonder how much I can sell my kidneys for!

Thanks Again Tom,
Ken

Old 06-10-2011, 02:05 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by floridaBMW
Hey Tom thanks again for the tour today. I really appreciate how accommodating you were and the facility is THE best. Nice to have an opportunity to see some of the "behind the scenes" and someone as knowledgeable as u share some of that info with me.

This 68mm build looks awesome in person and now has got me interested....wonder how much I can sell my kidneys for!

Thanks Again Tom,
Ken
You're welcome Ken...it was my pleasure. Feel free to stop by anytime...our doors always open.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:57 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Sam,
Just to vouch for Tom and the guys. Tom has always answered every PM and email from me without delay over and over and I have yet to buy anything from Champion.
Must be an honest mix up with the accounts as Tom stated because the guys are the real deal.

Cheers,
Karim

Last edited by k_ddsl; 06-11-2011 at 04:27 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:25 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
You guys are well underway to become the new RUF

Old 06-14-2011, 07:03 AM
djcl65 is infamous around these parts
I'm headed down this afternoon to pick it up. Can't wait!!!

Old 06-14-2011, 08:24 AM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
Tom, have you guys ever done a complete engine build on a 997 TT? Or are they mostly stock internals that you have dealt with? If you have done any engine builds, what kind of power did the car put down and with what turbo set up? Thanks for the info.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by SCvet00
Tom, have you guys ever done a complete engine build on a 997 TT? Or are they mostly stock internals that you have dealt with? If you have done any engine builds, what kind of power did the car put down and with what turbo set up? Thanks for the info.
We've got a full engine build going on simultaneously in the shop right now. It's taking a little longer then we normally do, mainly because we're also introducing some "firsts" in that build. Our new carbon fiber intake manifolds, just for starters.

It should be taking shape very soon...and once it does, we'll know exactly how far we can push the 68mm VTG's on this platform. Our hope is to make close to 900 RWHP. (the car is a GT2)

Old 06-14-2011, 09:54 AM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
Got ya. Thanks for the response. Please keep us posted on the motor build and results. GL.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:02 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Oh...gotcha. I'll have to wait until Monday when Louis gets back in the office to ask him if he's got that data, or if it's something he wants to share.
Any word from him?

Old 06-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
We've got a full engine build going on simultaneously in the shop right now. It's taking a little longer then we normally do, mainly because we're also introducing some "firsts" in that build. Our new carbon fiber intake manifolds, just for starters.

It should be taking shape very soon...and once it does, we'll know exactly how far we can push the 68mm VTG's on this platform. Our hope is to make close to 900 RWHP. (the car is a GT2)

Hopefully above 900 and much more TQ - then its time to and