997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Max whp for the PDK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
"Good power" is about 620hp at the wheels, slightly less tq, around 600.

Is the clutch material from my friend (my mouth is zipped)?

Old 05-28-2011, 10:42 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gelkad
What radical descion is that K-ddsl, I guess you are selling the car...for a GTRS4...!
Not quite, but close!

Originally Posted by CaptnCrash
Going to trade in for a 6spd car ?
Right on the money Captn'
Going back to rowing through the gears with a trusty Metzger to boot!

Old 05-28-2011, 09:27 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by k_ddsl
Bob,

The new DFI engine is not as sturdy as the Metzger. That's fact.
In OEM trim, it will live on and on no problem. But for tuning, it can't hold the same bolt on mods and +700whp without going into the internals.
However, internals can be upgraded, the tranny simply can't.

That's why I think I am fast approaching a radical decision!
Sounds like you've found one Karim? C'mon..word up....color, kms etc?
PS This thread kinda makes one wonder why MR "G" "T" "R" is all of a sudden so ensconced with the weaknesses of a Porsche TTS PDK box....Doh..

Old 05-28-2011, 09:47 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
If your curious and literate, you could read the first post.

Funny, I never said anything about a weakness... You must be insecure about something.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
If your curious and literate, you could read the first post.

Funny, I never said anything about a weakness... You must be insecure about something.
Am not biting. tootle oo.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:35 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by k_ddsl
Going back to rowing through the gears with a trusty Metzger to boot!
Good move Karim. You did all you could do and showed us the limits of the .2tt. Now you can have some real fun modding the .1tt. Look forward to it!

Old 05-29-2011, 02:23 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
Sounds like you've found one Karim? C'mon..word up....color, kms etc?
Not yet bro, not yet.

Need to sell my PDK first

Originally Posted by TTdude
Good move Karim. You did all you could do and showed us the limits of the .2tt. Now you can have some real fun modding the .1tt. Look forward to it!
Thanks Dave!
And thank you for being along with me for the ride and for sharing my many moments of defeat and my few moment of success.
Much appreciated.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:59 AM
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
It seems alot of folks are jumping off the PDK bandwagon? I view it as just a matter of time before the fuel system and clutch holding power is solved and then the potential of the .2 will prove worthy. Right now Champion is looking at 620 WHP and 600 ft#, 650, 700, and 750 are just a matter of time. The replication of the smaller gears and shafts to higher AGMA stds and tolerances is available. To me, as a mfg of very similar products, the potential is there and it is not out of reach price wise. As a matter of fact I wouldnt be surprised, albiet positive, that the blank materials are off the shelf or semi standards. Where theres a will theres a way and an nice tax break for CMS in R&D expenses. Yes it will take time but certainly not out of reach.

Last edited by Slow911TT68Tip; 05-29-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:25 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Slow911TT68Tip
It seems alot of folks are jumping off the PDK bandwagon? I view it as just a matter of time before the fuel system and clutch holding power is solved and then the potential of the .2 will prove worthy. Right now Champion is looking at 620 WHP and 600 ft#, 650, 700, and 750 are just a matter of time. The replication of the smaller gears and shafts to higher AGMA stds and tolerances is available. To me, as a mfg of very similar products, the potential is there and it is not out of reach price wise. As a matter of fact I wouldnt be surprised, albiet positive, that the blank materials are off the shelf or semi standards. Where theres a will theres a way and an nice tax break for CMS in R&D expenses. Yes it will take time but certainly not out of reach.
Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:46 AM
I just purchased a dealer spec (but well done) 2012 997.2 Cab Turbo S. I purchased it for the PDK having enjoyed my Panamera Turbo so much. I will do two upgrades:

1. The safe limit CMS offers (600 x 600 WHP & TQ is nothing to sneeze at considering the PDK advantage).
2. Wait a year or two and upgrade to the next CMS safe limit.

Given the lightening quick shifting prowess of the PDK I cant see how I can go wrong (hopefully).

Last edited by Slow911TT68Tip; 05-31-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:30 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
If it's true that one needs upgrade the fuel system, transmission, and internals to get to 700 whp on a .2, that's not going to be affordable except for a few. If someone is willing to spend that kind of coin, you could get 900 whp easily on a .1.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:34 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Not to mention that a large number of enthusiasts have simple bolt ons and have no desire to open the engine. Many reasonable dealerships will still honor warranty work with a simple bolt ons...I don't know of any who will honor a engine rebuild.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:12 AM
S4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really nice
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
I don't think anyone has drilled as deep as we have into the development of the PDK gearbox as well as the 3.8L TT DFi motor. Rather then re-type it all. Check out these threads. They should answer most of your questions:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...t-updated.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ch-update.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-research.html

However, I'll do my best to summarize:

-- The PDK is limited at the mid-500 hp/tq level (to be safe)
-- The factory fuel system is not capable of supporting power levels much beyond that anyway.
-- The engine internals (according to our testing) are also significantly weaker then their predecessors. (rods specifically)

At this point, we've found a clutch material that seems to be holding good power, however we're unable to test the upper limits of that power capability of it without completion of our upgraded fuel system and reinforced engine internals.

Tom ! May I ask you said the limilt of PDK is around mid 500 WHP, so what is the approximate hp in crank? Tks!

Old 06-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Tra1nEr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bbywu
Not to mention that a large number of enthusiasts have simple bolt ons and have no desire to open the engine. Many reasonable dealerships will still honor warranty work with a simple bolt ons...I don't know of any who will honor a engine rebuild.

I will do. when pdk + dfi pump + internals kit will be ready.

But has anybody any idea when it will be?

Old 06-05-2011, 07:29 AM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
If you take a PDK turbo car with the max safe upgrade level of 575WHP how much modifying will it take with a 997.1TT to keep up?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Max whp for the PDK?