997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Max whp for the PDK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:24 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by S4corrado996TT
Tom ! May I ask you said the limilt of PDK is around mid 500 WHP, so what is the approximate hp in crank? Tks!
That could be a topic of much debate. It really depends how you calculate CHP from WHP. If you follow the commonly accepted theory of drivetrain loss being a percentage (usually around 20%), then one would say that's about 718 CHP. If you follow the other theory that drivetrain loss is a fixed value for a particular car (which is what I believe), then in this case I would say it's approximately 660 CHP or so.

Either way, the .2PDK with power at the limit of the factory PDK is a MUCH faster car then a .1 with even upgraded Turbos IMO. You just simply can't beat that transmission. Think of it this way...chipped .2PDK's are running high 10's in the 1/4....what does it take to get a .1 that fast?

Old 05-02-2012, 12:45 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Tom,

It's been almost one year since the last post, any news/improvements?
My friend just got used to his tuned TTS power, he is looking to take the next step

Old 05-02-2012, 07:27 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by milou
Tom,

It's been almost one year since the last post, any news/improvements?
My friend just got used to his tuned TTS power, he is looking to take the next step
With some programming improvements, we were able to increase the PDK limit to over 600 whp.

The problem is now that the fuel system runs out. So up to now the most we were able to put down to the wheels has been 610 hp on a Mustang AWD dyno. Now we're working on a fuel system for the car, which isn't really easy because of the high pressure system. Once we have a fuel solution, we'll explore the limit of the new PDK.

With this car, it's like always taking 2 steps forward and 1 step back...LOL

We sort of put the whole PDK thing to the side for a few months while we were working on a pretty special project car that I'll be posting about very soon. Now that the project is complete we're back to the .2 Turbo platform.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:32 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
milou - killer revival skills...

Tom - GREAT news!!! I'm curious, though - what programming makes the PDK transmission stronger? I don't get it... Please explain.

I mean, up until recently, I thought the limit was the PDK, not the programming of the PDK (something about the diameter of something, can't be enlarged or reinforced, etc...).

Old 05-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr

Tom - GREAT news!!! I'm curious, though - what programming makes the PDK transmission stronger? I don't get it... Please explain.

I mean, up until recently, I thought the limit was the PDK, not the programming of the PDK (something about the diameter of something, can't be enlarged or reinforced, etc...).
My guess is once the programming and fuel solutions are figured out (if ever), the next limitation will be the PDK tranny itself, as well as the internals of the 3.8. Unfortunately, I wouldn't expect PDK Porsches to be making big power anytime soon.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:48 AM
Former Vendor

Porsche recently released an updated DME program for the PDK turbo cars. Part of the updated DME is a complete revised PDK control program. That new program opened a few doors that allowed us (with the help of GIAC) to increase the threshold before the PDK tells the DME to cut power. So far, we don't know what the ceiling of that threshold is because the car runs out of fuel first.

Eventually, the clutch materials will need upgrading, and we have a solution for that already. For now, we want to test the upper limits of the factory materials before we use our new discs.

At this point some good programming does the trick, using the stock clutch material.

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
My guess is once the programming and fuel solutions are figured out (if ever), the next limitation will be the PDK tranny itself, as well as the internals of the 3.8. Unfortunately, I wouldn't expect PDK Porsches to be making big power anytime soon.
You're right...there are 3 forces at work; the PDK, the fuel system, and the internals. We'll cross one bridge at a time....

Last edited by Tom@Champion; 05-02-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:51 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute

Thx

I was thinking the same ^^^