997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

turbo PDK or 997.2GT3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:01 PM
fattyk is infamous around these parts
turbo PDK or 997.2GT3

can't decide which to go
i recently just sold my gen2 cayman S PDK. what's the natural progression upwards from cayman s?
turbo or gt3? i really enjoy the PDK transmission n turbo power but will the turbo handle as well as a GT3?
i wanna use my car as often as possible. Anyone which own both or have own both would care to give me some advise
many thanks

Old 06-01-2011, 08:05 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
In my opinion, the Turbo is more pleasant if you want to use your car as often as possible.

Will it handle as well as the GT3? Probably not, if you're on a race track the majority of the time. I believe the Turbo will handle as well as you need it to, and will be plenty fast for the occasional 'spirited' run.

These are two vastly different directions...

Old 06-01-2011, 09:05 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
coming from a Cayman you might not like the numbness of the AWD / steering feel which takes a bit of $$ thrown at it to get right i.e. wee bit of suspension mods. However you will love the thrust

I guess its much cheaper to make a Turbo handle better than it is a GT3 to accelerate harder, pick your poison.

I was in the same boat around 2007 and I came to the conclusion that the power meant more to me than the raw feel / handling of the GT3. Fast forward 3 years and looking back I dont think either would have been a poor choice......most of the fun factor in the 911 is the handling, not acceleration is what I have found.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:14 AM
ZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of lightZBOSS is a glorious beacon of light
if you get the turbo then you would want to put on a set of coilovers and set up the suspension properly. However there is no feeling like the gt3 or sound for that matter. GT3 FTW

Old 06-02-2011, 08:05 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
TT PDK: boss of the autobahn/highway, better daily driver, new school
GT3: boss of the track, more fun, old school

Old 06-02-2011, 11:09 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
A turbo pdk will spank a gt3 on the track, sad but true. Bone stock.
Trying to make a tt handle like a gt3 is a losing battle, been there, done that, not necessary. Best to just maximize the stock suspension, ie toe links, LCAs, good alignment, etc.

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 06-02-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:26 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I honestly feel that the average person (not regular track driver) would find the TT more than adequate for handling.

As far as the Cayman S - I loved the turn-in. I found it sharper than the TT (TT felt heavier). But in no way could I not enjoy the TT. It handles wonderfully out of the box, and has that power that a GT3 could not deliver (for me).

Old 06-02-2011, 11:30 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
A turbo pdk will spank a gt3 on the track, sad but true. Bone stock.
Not too sure about this.
The 997.2 GT3 beat the 997.2 TT 6:1 on the tracks (it doesn`t say what tranny was used in the TT tho):

P.S. @ fattyk, why don`t u consider a GT3RS? i mean it´s faster, more epic than a GT3 and still cheaper than a TT.

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 06-02-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:06 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
That was the 6 speed. PDK is a whole nuther story. Esp in average hands, like all of us.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:07 PM
fattyk is infamous around these parts
guys ... thanks for all the replies & advise
seems like a TT PDK would be better suited for me
i probably will track the car 3x a year & rest of time will be regular road usage and monthly B roads spirited drive
power & torque of TT is definitely much better than GT3. especially the PDK gearbox. i love the PDK so much on cayman S. only reason i am selling it , is that i want more power.
GT3 is definitely nicer in terms of looks. love the rear spoiler and front of the GT3 compared to TT. only reservation is the manual gearbox on the GT3. i'm just a novice driver and have not driven a manual car for over 10 years now. i don't know how to heel & toe. Shifting also not so fast. Guess a PDK box does it all for me. Upshift and downshift bleeping all done for us so precisely
i will try a gt3 before i decide if it suits me. but i also love the power delivery and sound of NA porsche engines. altho less powerful & torquey compared to TT, the high revving engine sound is so so sweet.
just afraid that the handling of TT is not as good as my cayman S. I read that the only porsche that handles better is GT3/GT3RS.
many thanks again to u all!

Old 06-02-2011, 10:34 PM
DLJ
DLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to beholdDLJ is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by fattyk
guys ... thanks for all the replies & advise
seems like a TT PDK would be better suited for me
i probably will track the car 3x a year & rest of time will be regular road usage and monthly B roads spirited drive
power & torque of TT is definitely much better than GT3. especially the PDK gearbox. i love the PDK so much on cayman S. only reason i am selling it , is that i want more power.
GT3 is definitely nicer in terms of looks. love the rear spoiler and front of the GT3 compared to TT. only reservation is the manual gearbox on the GT3. i'm just a novice driver and have not driven a manual car for over 10 years now. i don't know how to heel & toe. Shifting also not so fast. Guess a PDK box does it all for me. Upshift and downshift bleeping all done for us so precisely
i will try a gt3 before i decide if it suits me. but i also love the power delivery and sound of NA porsche engines. altho less powerful & torquey compared to TT, the high revving engine sound is so so sweet.
just afraid that the handling of TT is not as good as my cayman S. I read that the only porsche that handles better is GT3/GT3RS.
many thanks again to u all!
With the exception of your concern over manual vs. pdk, it still sounds like you have a dilemma to me... ( can you get over that GT3 exhaust note, looks you like,etc....) Where is most of your driving going to be, and what will get you excited the most when you take her out? Interesting to hear what you decide...

Old 06-03-2011, 08:03 AM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
Get a 997.1tt, put on a EP2, get a flash and a dyno tune and get the suspension done (coilovers, springs, sway bars, links), and some cool wheels. I think you'll have the compromise you're looking for, a great street car, and you'll likely save some $$.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:40 AM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
The Cayman has neutral handling and is very forgiving when in mid-corner and coming off-throttle, the GT3 and Turbo can have a whicked response to mid-corner off-throttle via their snap oversteer (remember 60% of the weight is on or behind the rear axel).

Old 06-03-2011, 08:58 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Based on your posts, the TT is the right decision. No question it is a better dd and will do just fine at the track totally stock. The reality of the the GT3 it's not a dd, tho it can be done, but not recommended.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:53 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
In a perfect world you'd have both I'd say it's a perfect world for us already if we get one

Unless you're track fiend PDK/turbo is the ultimate street car. That's what it's made to excel at.

The adjustable shocks and electronic motor mounts have made the GT cars more streetable and the street cars more trackable. Either car is built like an anvil. IMO it comes down to weight and the ride quality you're willing to live with every day. It's a TOUGH decision. Enjoy making it! That's half the fun.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 06-11-2011 at 07:52 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: turbo PDK or 997.2GT3