997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Latest Turbo S vs GTR track review. Let the yodeling begin..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Banned
M3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by speed21
The bish provided an excellent account on what needs to be done if you plan any level of sustained performance driving. The GTR is a tremendous car but it's life unfortunately becomes comsumed by its own performance without oil coolers and the likes. The Porsche is a different story altogether.
GTR is an amazing street car, if you want a fast reliable car you buy a Porsche and modify it ... ask me how I know. Just go to the for sale section and check my car out.

I understand what it needs. For my point of view is completely pointless to track a 3800 lbs car. I complain all the time that my 3100 lbs GT2 is too heavy.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Yes, Speed. I'm completely 100% serious.

(Have I mentioned your inability to comprehend?)

Don't presume to know what I see or don't see. That would be a mistake on your part (definitely not the first).
..ROFL... I can't take any more .

Old 06-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
GTR is an amazing street car, if you want a fast reliable car you buy a Porsche and modify it ... ask me how I know. Just go to the for sale section and check my car out.

I understand what it needs. For my point of view is completely pointless to track a 3800 lbs car. I complain all the time that my 3100 lbs GT2 is too heavy.
Proposing that it should either shed some kilos or use adequate components (oil coolers, brakes etc) went down like a lead balloon. It seems there are some that identify the problem and others that don't....i wont name names...after all they love Porsches so much they can't stay away from the Porsche forum ..

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-12-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:07 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I questioned the GTR's weight issue on a GTR thread titled GTR reliability and wound up being called a troll and had all my posts deleted. Proposing that it should either shed some kilos or use adequate components (oil coolers, brakes etc) went down like a lead balloon. It seems there are some that identify the problem and others that don't....i wont name names...after all they love Porsches so much they can't stay away from the Porsche forum ..
How would you suggest the GT-R lose weight? And what issues of reliability did you mention?

But, better yet... How is any of that remotely relevant when a 2012 GT-R is running a 1/4 mile?

And, you should probably name names of people who don't identify problems with Porsches as well... (you know, just to be fair to those GT-R fanboys)

Old 06-11-2011, 10:07 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
Dez,

Some people who don't go to road racing tracks, just type/talk for the sake of talking.
While true, Enrique, you probably also see that there are some people here who don't do ANY performance driving what-so-ever...no drag strip, no standing mile, no vbox datalogging, no track racing, not even a performance driving class...and talk the talk for the sake of controversy, to compensate for inadequacies, and live vicariously through magazines and other drivers.

bob

Last edited by bbywu; 06-11-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:11 PM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
I think the Porsche Turbo S is in another league because it's a Porsche and it can go 265mph+ like a Bugatti.

Until the GT-R gets one of these, and raises their prices another $70k (+ another $10+ in options they don't have), the GT-R will be just a Nissan.
My bet is that Nissan has to strap a bag of cash to every GT-R that they sell.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:38 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of

Old 06-11-2011, 11:27 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
While true, Enrique, you probably also see that there are some people here who don't do ANY performance driving what-so-ever...no drag strip, no standing mile, no vbox datalogging, no track racing, not even a performance driving class...and talk the talk for the sake of controversy, to compensate for inadequacies, and live vicariously through magazines and other drivers.

bob
Bob, that is true, well said. If I have no knowledge of a subject I stay out of it. Like the drag racing/engine builds threads, 60-130... I know nothing about that kind of stuff but i'm sure their is the same kind of drama as here. Anyways, on a brighter note. The Audis are going to have to fight hard for the win in LMP1 today ! Vett going for their 8th win in the GT-pro would be nice The Ferraris seem unreliable and keep crashing the Audis Best of luck to the flying lizards.TRG guys I have been watching motor racing for 14 hours/lemans and f1 all day... great weekend.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Banned
How would you suggest the GT-R lose weight? And what issues of reliability did you mention?

But, better yet... How is any of that remotely relevant when a 2012 GT-R is running a 1/4 mile?

And, you should probably name names of people who don't identify problems with Porsches as well... (you know, just to be fair to those GT-R fanboys)
1)B) I had bought into discussion how Nissan had identified its weight problem in the current car by producing a lighter V spec model.....and were intending further work in that area before they were satisfied. Weight is a big issue for the car and everyone knows that. The problem was that reducing weight cost big money and changes would be reflected in the sale price.

2) Weight is relevant where performance is concerned. Or are you saying if GTR was 100kg or so lighter it wouldn't equate to any improvement in its 1/4 mile time .

3) And naming names of persons for the sake of "Nissan fanboys"? As a general rule the problems i see being identified amongst the Porsche community are usually related to either faulty component manufacture or assembly rather than component failure due to being under engineered....or made too lightweight for the purpose intended, such as GTR's reported inadequacies .

Originally Posted by bbywu

bob
I was unaware members required track time or performance driving schools to qualify for the discussion bob. Phew!...just as well i have plenty of both . Although, i do admit i'm guilty of keeping up with the latest performance car info through various media forms (6speedonline included ).....but only due to my passion with performance cars. And, controversy usually happens when there are valid doubts over certain claims, and everyone is entitled to an opinion .

Originally Posted by TXTurbo
My bet is that Nissan has to strap a bag of cash to every GT-R that they sell.
Wishful thinking TXTurbo. GTR needs substantially more than just a Porsche badge and a price increase to make it of equal value. Being able to go as fast is one thing but there is durability and the ability to handle sustained performance driving? That costs money and know how.

Originally Posted by salerno713
Nice shot salerno. Love the colour combo.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-12-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:55 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
1) Actually, I don't remember. Obviously we all know the SpecV was a little lighter, but at what cost? Is is worth it? I feel the customers (myself included) with the thousands of discussions of people that don't even have a GT-R gave a resounding,"NO!" to Nissan about it (hence the current discussion about the SpecR on the constrained GT-R forums, 560HP without the $50k brakes).

I still haven't heard of any reliability issues about anybody's GT-R.

2) Of course less weight would net better performance. But does it need better performance? Or is this the area that everybody thinks needs improvement? Of course less weight = 1/4 performance. I think a street car with 11.0 times out of the box (possibly faster after the summer) is plenty fast enough.

3) These 'under-engineered' issue you mention I believe are only felt by the few who push the car to its limits at given times of the year for extended periods of time. Let's face it, we are a minority (members on 6speed), and I address these issues as the minority. Just like the majority of Porsches that are sold, are Tiptronic (and now PDK, thank goodness), because although the brand is a performance/enthusiast brand, a LOT of owners only take it out on Saturdays/Sundays when it's not raining.

4) I believe that the people who are familiar with their own respective areas of performance have their individual opinion of what is important to cars and what is not.

I can almost guarantee you that a LOT of Porsche/Ferrari/Lexus LFA owners don't give a rat's a$$ about 1/4mi times. These cars (just like the GT-R) weren't engineered for that. It is just a happy by-product of the wonderful all-around performance of the cars.

Is the Nissan GT-R an endurance racer that can win the 24 Hours of Le Mans? No. It is a street car, with above average performance on track (not the other way around). I believe the Porsche is an above average track car, that can be driven on the street.

But then again, what percentage of owners actually go to the track to figure all of this out? If you don't go - then absolutely none of the drawbacks you've mentioned would ever affect you (weight and cooling mechanisms), but gives you a reason to complain about something you don't own, and justify decision to purchase what you did (and not use it for what it was designed to do).

Those who do go, purchase a $3k trans cooler, and call it day, because the rest of the car holds up pretty well, and that ends the discussion.

Last edited by jaspergtr; 06-12-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:37 AM
Banned
1) Actually, I don't remember. Obviously we all know the SpecV was a little lighter, but at what cost? Is is worth it? I feel the customers (myself included) with the thousands of discussions of people that don't even have a GT-R gave a resounding,"NO!" to Nissan about it (hence the current discussion about the SpecR on the constrained GT-R forums, 560HP without the $50k brakes).

I still haven't heard of any reliability issues about anybody's GT-R.

2) Of course less weight would net better performance. But does it need better performance? Or is this the area that everybody thinks needs improvement? Of course less weight = 1/4 performance. I think a street car with 11.0 times out of the box (possibly faster after the summer) is plenty fast enough.

3) These 'under-engineered' issue you mention I believe are only felt by the few who push the car to its limits at given times of the year for extended periods of time. Let's face it, we are a minority (members on 6speed), and I address these issues as the minority. Just like the majority of Porsches that are sold, are Tiptronic (and now PDK, thank goodness), because although the brand is a performance/enthusiast brand, a LOT of owners only take it out on Saturdays/Sundays when it's not raining.

4) I believe that the people who are familiar with their own respective areas of performance have their individual opinion of what is important to cars and what is not.

I can almost guarantee you that a LOT of Porsche/Ferrari/Lexus LFA owners don't give a rat's a$$ about 1/4mi times. These cars (just like the GT-R) weren't engineered for that. It is just a happy by-product of the wonderful all-around performance of the cars.

Is the Nissan GT-R an endurance racer that can win the 24 Hours of Le Mans? No. It is a street car, with above average performance on track (not the other way around). I believe the Porsche is an above average track car, that can be driven on the street.

But then again, what percentage of owners actually go to the track to figure all of this out? If you don't go - then absolutely none of the drawbacks you've mentioned would ever affect you (weight and cooling mechanisms), but gives you a reason to complain about something you don't own, and justify decision to purchase what you did (and not use it for what it was designed to do).

Those who do go, purchase a $3k trans cooler, and call it day, because the rest of the car holds up pretty well, and that ends the discussion.
1) I have a good memory. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ability-2.html Post 23 may jog your memory.

And spec V or, V spec...whatever, represented a lighter version that Nissan evidently felt had merit in building....and perservering with. Less weight fixes a lot of things. Nissan knows that.

2) Does any car need better performance? C'mon. We all know the answer to that one.

3) But its comforting to know when you take your car out you can do what you want and drive it back without calling a flatbed.

4) 1/4 mile times may not be everything but then neither is being a second faster around a track most will never drive in their lifetime (nurburgring).
But it's things like 1/4 and lap times that evidently mean something to the majority of buyers else why are the brands so competitive in these areas? You say the Nissan is a great street car....no argument.....it's great for the money however the Porsche is superior on most accounts....if not grossly overpriced in comparison. Track is another story but it's well recognized the Porsche is more durable in that environment. At the end of the day both are great cars. I would agree it comes down to what one wants in a performance car and if the wants can be satisfied at a lesser price then terrific..

Last edited by speed21; 06-12-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:37 AM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
Wishful thinking TXTurbo. GTR needs substantially more than just a Porsche badge and a price increase to make it of equal value. Being able to go as fast is one thing but there is durability and the ability to handle sustained performance driving? That costs money and know how.
I think my comment was misunderstood.

Nissan has already admitted that the GT-R is not profitable. Hence they strap money to every one that they sell. The general consensus is that the GT-R is a great value. What you never hear is that Nissan sells the car at a loss to achieve the "great value".

Old 06-12-2011, 06:44 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by TXTurbo
I think my comment was misunderstood.

Nissan has already admitted that the GT-R is not profitable. Hence they strap money to every one that they sell. The general consensus is that the GT-R is a great value. What you never hear is that Nissan sells the car at a loss to achieve the "great value".
OK. Gotcha . And no denying the fact the Nissan is incredible value when you compare it to the Porsche. Only a fool would say otherwise. I've owned GTR's in years gone by and there is always the possibility i will own another at one stage. Make me a lighter one please .

PS. Maybe at 90K they aren't making money out of the States....but at Aus prices i guess there are?

Last edited by speed21; 06-12-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:00 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
The bish provided an excellent account on what needs to be done if you plan any level of sustained performance driving. The GTR is a tremendous car but it's life unfortunately becomes comsumed by its own performance without oil coolers and the likes. The Porsche is a different story altogether.
That Bishman guy provided some fantastic technical info. +1 rep for him. I think you have summed it up well.

The GTR is a hell of a car and the performance bargain of the decade, but it may be the difference between buying a nice 60 tooth Craftsman ratchet and a 88 tooth Snap-On unit. Both get the routine jobs done, one costs much more than the other, but I would bet the Snap-On will prove to be more reliable when pressed into industrial duty. I'm at a point in life that I appreciate good tools, and am willing to pay for the chance of increased reliability.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:10 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by eclou
That Bishman guy provided some fantastic technical info. +1 rep for him. I think you have summed it up well.

The GTR is a hell of a car and the performance bargain of the decade, but it may be the difference between buying a nice 60 tooth Craftsman ratchet and a 88 tooth Snap-On unit. Both get the routine jobs done, one costs much more than the other, but I would bet the Snap-On will prove to be more reliable when pressed into industrial duty. I'm at a point in life that I appreciate good tools, and am willing to pay for the chance of increased reliability.
Yep he's a no BS guy and gave a telling account of whats needed. Very refreshing without being brand protective. I rep'd him back then myself.

Likewise. Lifes not a rehearsal .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Latest Turbo S vs GTR track review. Let the yodeling begin..