997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Latest Turbo S vs GTR track review. Let the yodeling begin..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 08:03 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
1) I have a good memory. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ability-2.html Post 23 may jog your memory.

And spec V or, V spec...whatever, represented a lighter version that Nissan evidently felt had merit in building....and perservering with. Less weight fixes a lot of things. Nissan knows that.

2) Does any car need better performance? C'mon. We all know the answer to that one.

3) But its comforting to know when you take your car out you can do what you want and drive it back without calling a flatbed.

4) 1/4 mile times may not be everything but then neither is being a second faster around a track most will never drive in their lifetime (nurburgring).
But it's things like 1/4 and lap times that evidently mean something to the majority of buyers else why are the brands so competitive in these areas? You say the Nissan is a great street car....no argument.....it's great for the money however the Porsche is superior on most accounts....if not grossly overpriced in comparison. Track is another story but it's well recognized the Porsche is more durable in that environment. At the end of the day both are great cars. I would agree it comes down to what one wants in a performance car and if the wants can be satisfied at a lesser price then terrific..
1) still haven't answered my question...

2) Nissan set the 911 Turbo as the benchmark - they acheived it, no need to improve until Porsche does, no?

3) This is where your ignorance surfaces... If the car's transmission temps gets into the 280's (which, I'm sure has only been done by a limited few, others are trying to avoid the 260 mark), finish you finish your weekend, and then change the fluids. There is no catastrophic failure that will occur.

4) I never argued durability by comparison, and I don't disagree with this at all. Some consider the GT-R more for less money, some consider it less. It all depends on who is looking. What I do is offer some of the counters (some care, some don't - this is not my concern). Like when the picture was posted recently of the GT-R for sale with all of those displays on the MFD, and somebody asked if all GT-R's come with this option... It has been standard (like ev-ery-thing else on the car) since 2008 (2007 in other markets).

Old 06-12-2011, 08:50 AM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
2) Nissan set the 911 Turbo as the benchmark - they acheived it

I wonder if Nissan's shareholders think the same?

Old 06-12-2011, 09:42 AM
thebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to behold

2) Nissan set the 911 Turbo as the benchmark - they acheived it, no need to improve until Porsche does, no?

3) This is where your ignorance surfaces... If the car's transmission temps gets into the 280's (which, I'm sure has only been done by a limited few, others are trying to avoid the 260 mark), finish you finish your weekend, and then change the fluids. There is no catastrophic failure that will occur.

4) I never argued durability by comparison, and I don't disagree with this at all. Some consider the GT-R more for less money, some consider it less. It all depends on who is looking. What I do is offer some of the counters (some care, some don't - this is not my concern). Like when the picture was posted recently of the GT-R for sale with all of those displays on the MFD, and somebody asked if all GT-R's come with this option... It has been standard (like ev-ery-thing else on the car) since 2008 (2007 in other markets).
Re: #3: Every owner that I have run with here in the midwest that own a GT-R and are advanced drivers, have gotten the transmission oil into the yellow and then red zones in the KS summer weather at HPDEs.

If you are a novice, or intermediate driver at HPDE events, then yes, you can probably keep the temperature below 260F on the tranny oil. Also, even if you're an advanced driver, you can keep the temps below the critical point re: having to change the oil within 1800 miles, but ONLY by backing off after 3-4 WOT laps. The only way if you're a 'committed' HPDE driver and tracking in a moderate to hot climate to keep the car on track for the full 25 minutes at WOT, is to invest in cooling options, otherwise to ensure continued warranty coverage, you'll have to change out the transmission fluid after every weekend, (or at least within 1800 miles) at a cost of well over $1,000. This is simply insanity for the 'track rats' amongst us. Whilst having to spend that much money on changing the transmission fluid after every event when you've 'over-heated' the oil isn't considered a 'catastrophic failure', it certainly could be considered a swift kick in the ghoolies to your bank balance!! lol
Bish

Old 06-12-2011, 10:08 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thebishman
Re: #3: Every owner that I have run with here in the midwest that own a GT-R and are advanced drivers, have gotten the transmission oil into the yellow and then red zones in the KS summer weather at HPDEs.

If you are a novice, or intermediate driver at HPDE events, then yes, you can probably keep the temperature below 260F on the tranny oil. Also, even if you're an advanced driver, you can keep the temps below the critical point re: having to change the oil within 1800 miles, but ONLY by backing off after 3-4 WOT laps. The only way if you're a 'committed' HPDE driver and tracking in a moderate to hot climate to keep the car on track for the full 25 minutes at WOT, is to invest in cooling options, otherwise to ensure continued warranty coverage, you'll have to change out the transmission fluid after every weekend, (or at least within 1800 miles) at a cost of well over $1,000. This is simply insanity for the 'track rats' amongst us. Whilst having to spend that much money on changing the transmission fluid after every event when you've 'over-heated' the oil isn't considered a 'catastrophic failure', it certainly could be considered a swift kick in the ghoolies to your bank balance!! lol
Bish
Exactly. There are no catastrophic failures that would require a flatbed to leave the track. Just means you'll spend more money on fluids, and it's cheaper to purchase a trans cooler (for us po' GT-R folk).

Unless the car decides to put you in a tire wall (i.e. GT-R @ CMP a little while ago), because the driver isn't required.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:07 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I was unaware members required track time or performance driving schools to qualify for the discussion bob. Phew!...just as well i have plenty of both . Although, i do admit i'm guilty of keeping up with the latest performance car info through various media forms (6speedonline included ).....but only due to my passion with performance cars. And, controversy usually happens when there are valid doubts over certain claims, and everyone is entitled to an opinion .
Wasn't directed at you, but okay...it's all good.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:34 PM
thebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to behold
Exactly. There are no catastrophic failures that would require a flatbed to leave the track. Just means you'll spend more money on fluids, and it's cheaper to purchase a trans cooler (for us po' GT-R folk).

Unless the car decides to put you in a tire wall (i.e. GT-R @ CMP a little while ago), because the driver isn't required.
Damn, sorry to hear that. Hope the driver is ok.

I always find it funny how so many people call the GT-R anodyne, or un-involving to drive. It's actually far from it, it's just that it's limits are so high that you have to get really used to it, and adjust your mindset. A GT-R driven in 'R' mode with VDC off in a committed fashion is very engaging. You just have to respect it's limits and physics of course. Perhaps the above driver forgot that?

Bish

Old 06-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by thebishman
Damn, sorry to hear that. Hope the driver is ok.

I always find it funny how so many people call the GT-R anodyne, or un-involving to drive. It's actually far from it, it's just that it's limits are so high that you have to get really used to it, and adjust your mindset. A GT-R driven in 'R' mode with VDC off in a committed fashion is very engaging. You just have to respect it's limits and physics of course. Perhaps the above driver forgot that?

Bish
You may have seen it on another forum... He was going for the lap record, without being patient enough to build air pressures. He knew the risks, and went for it anyway. We hope to see him at the GT-R event next month. I'm actually curious to see the runs in the middle of Summer, who stays out for a while, who does cool down laps... Half of me wants it to rain, so I don't have to worry about that crap (still haven't decided on a cooling package). Besides, I learn a whole lot more about the car when tracking in the rain (the most I learned was last Feb tracking in the freezing rain, like driving with roller skates on ice).

Old 06-12-2011, 03:38 PM
You may have seen it on another forum... He was going for the lap record, without being patient enough to build air pressures. He knew the risks, and went for it anyway. We hope to see him at the GT-R event next month. I'm actually curious to see the runs in the middle of Summer, who stays out for a while, who does cool down laps... Half of me wants it to rain, so I don't have to worry about that crap (still haven't decided on a cooling package). Besides, I learn a whole lot more about the car when tracking in the rain (the most I learned was last Feb tracking in the freezing rain, like driving with roller skates on ice).
Totally missed it. But then I don't spend as much time on the 'other' forum as I used to. Since I no longer have the car, I feel I can't really add that much anymore especially since the 2012's are out.
Bish

Old 06-12-2011, 03:39 PM
tradervic is infamous around these parts
Thats a great solution Tradervic .

PS. If these two are yours, congrats. What a fabulous garage and they both look beautiful in black together. My all-time favourite color.
Thanks speed.

Thankfully, they are...

As an owner of both, they are really hard to compare. They are both great cars and each does what they're supposed to do amazingly well.

One place that Porsche destroys Nissan is the out-of-car ownership experience. I've owned my S for less than a month and I'm already a member of PCA and am planning to hit Porsche Driving School. I've begged Nissan to do something similar with GT-R owners for years but, I'll just leave it at that That reason above is why I didn't re-up into a '12 GT-R Black Edition and decided to come to Porsche. Ironically, due to Nissan's lack of cooperative community building, they're doing a very good job of selling Porsches.

Anyway, this debate is ridiculous. If you own either of these cars, enjoy them and be happy. You've got an amazing car in your driveway or garage.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by tradervic
Thanks speed.

Thankfully, they are...

As an owner of both, they are really hard to compare. They are both great cars and each does what they're supposed to do amazingly well.

One place that Porsche destroys Nissan is the out-of-car ownership experience. I've owned my S for less than a month and I'm already a member of PCA and am planning to hit Porsche Driving School. I've begged Nissan to do something similar with GT-R owners for years but, I'll just leave it at that That reason above is why I didn't re-up into a '12 GT-R Black Edition and decided to come to Porsche. Ironically, due to Nissan's lack of cooperative community building, they're doing a very good job of selling Porsches.

Anyway, this debate is ridiculous. If you own either of these cars, enjoy them and be happy. You've got an amazing car in your driveway or garage.
A big difference between Porsche and GT-R communities is that the GT-R is but one model of entire brand, and you could have any model Porsche to join a Porsche club. Add that to the fact that Porsches have been sold in the US for decades (all models), and there are only 4,000+ GT-R's in the states.

Basically, I'd equate that to a Porsche Turbo club (you must have a Turbo to sign up). No such thing exists. So people who have Boxters are treated the same as a GT2RS or Carrera GT owner.

If Toyota had something like that a member could show up in a Corolla or an LFA.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:17 AM
Banned
M3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud of

The car can't do 5 consecutive laps without overheating. I'm not stupid enough to let it happen, ok, so no reliability issues.

I was at the track my my GT2, for more than 2 hours, being 30 minutes at a time, doing consistent 2:22.4 (4 laps at the same tenth) with RADIAL tires, and the most important thing (not the time) the car goes back to the pits the same way it goes to the track, and just sits and wait for the next session. Temps were over 100 and I bet track temps were about 130 +

Old 06-13-2011, 05:33 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
The car can't do 5 consecutive laps without overheating. I'm not stupid enough to let it happen, ok, so no reliability issues.

I was at the track my my GT2, for more than 2 hours, being 30 minutes at a time, doing consistent 2:22.4 (4 laps at the same tenth) with RADIAL tires, and the most important thing (not the time) the car goes back to the pits the same way it goes to the track, and just sits and wait for the next session. Temps were over 100 and I bet track temps were about 130 +
^^^That won't go down well.

To be honest, is there any point? You refuse to answer key questions i have asked you on two occasion's....

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-13-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:01 AM
Originally Posted by TXTurbo
Nissan has already admitted that the GT-R is not profitable. Hence they strap money to every one that they sell. The general consensus is that the GT-R is a great value. What you never hear is that Nissan sells the car at a loss to achieve the "great value".
There is a level of myth to this. Nissan doesn't lose money with every GT-R.

Yes, I remember Nissan saying that as well (back in '08). Apparently it wasn't as extreme as we thought (they aren't in the negative).

Old 06-13-2011, 06:13 AM
^^^That won't go down well.

To be honest, is there any point? You refuse to answer key questions i have asked you on two occasion's.... plus if i do answer you, chances are whatever i post will get deleted if its too exposing.
I'm refusing to engage in any inflammatory discussion. My question to you was simple - how do you suggest Nissan lose weight? Would it be worth it? (i.e. should Nissan put all carbon fiber panels on the car, CC brake rotors standard, sell the car with no back seat pads (that only weigh about 2 lbs anyway, like they did with the overpriced SpecV?)? That hardly seems worth it.)

Weight isn't as important as balance. I mean, sure if you're going straight only - weight can hold you back. But if you're lightweight and not balanced you won't be able to corner as well (Nissan didn't focus on straight line abilities). Balance is the key - and I think it took a lot of engineering to make this pig fly.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:20 AM
Originally Posted by M3EvoBR

Totally understood. I wasn't addressing the cooling issues, other than - if you're on track in hot temps, and you're an advanced driver, get a trans cooler, and you should be set.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Latest Turbo S vs GTR track review. Let the yodeling begin..