997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Latest Turbo S vs GTR track review. Let the yodeling begin..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:28 AM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
If you want an out-the-box track car: GT3 or Lotus.
If you want very fast and moddable street cars: GT-R or Turbo S

I like GT-R because I see one maybe once every 2 months. It's an amazing platform to mod with over 1000whp options. Turbo S can only get up to 600whp or less as of now. If you want to go higher, you need to spend a ton of money and time on upgrading the transmission and possibly the motor.

I've also loved the GT-R since the R32 was first introduced. It was a legend for those in the street racing/import scene. Obviously it appeals to a younger generation, although that isn't the only strong point of the GT-R but it is definitely something to take note (it's also a reason why every teen and 20-something will gawk and even beg you to let them take pics of it).

The 911 Turbo is a slow evolution of a race bred car tamed for the streets with livable amenities like AWD. It's got a high price tag but because it's still a 911 most people mistaken it for your average Carrera.

They are both great cars and I think it's foolishness to bicker over which one is better or not. They are also priced differently. If you value the extra luxurious leather and the tight construction as well as the smooth transmission of the Turbo S then it is worth the extra $70k+-. Just like if you value the looks and visceral feel of the Ferrari you can add an extra $70k to the price of the Turbo S and buy a 458 Italia.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:49 AM
tradervic is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
A big difference between Porsche and GT-R communities is that the GT-R is but one model of entire brand, and you could have any model Porsche to join a Porsche club. Add that to the fact that Porsches have been sold in the US for decades (all models), and there are only 4,000+ GT-R's in the states.

Basically, I'd equate that to a Porsche Turbo club (you must have a Turbo to sign up). No such thing exists. So people who have Boxters are treated the same as a GT2RS or Carrera GT owner.

If Toyota had something like that a member could show up in a Corolla or an LFA.
Jasper,

Nissan did NOTHING. NOTHING. Could have set up a trip for us at Nurburgring which BMW did to PREVIEW the new M3. Could have invited us for mixers at our local auto shows to show us the new cars. Could have set up their own GT-R owners club to help build community. But nada. They missed a big no brainer here. I hear this from many current and past GT-R owners including myself so I know I'm not alone.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:37 AM
thebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to beholdthebishman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tradervic
Jasper,

Nissan did NOTHING. NOTHING. Could have set up a trip for us at Nurburgring which BMW did to PREVIEW the new M3. Could have invited us for mixers at our local auto shows to show us the new cars. Could have set up their own GT-R owners club to help build community. But nada. They missed a big no brainer here. I hear this from many current and past GT-R owners including myself so I know I'm not alone.
Owned mine for two years and was made to feel like an Altima owner for most of that time. The car should have been sold thru' Infiniti to give owners a far better experience.

Still loved the car though.

Bish

Old 06-13-2011, 11:37 AM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
One big negative to the GTR experience is the Nissan Dealership that you have to go through to buy a the car. Make me appreciate Porsche/Ferrari/Lexus dealerships.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:09 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by venkatreddytx
One big negative to the GTR experience is the Nissan Dealership that you have to go through to buy a the car. Make me appreciate Porsche/Ferrari/Lexus dealerships.
It was actually one of the better parts of my ownership... At the Porsche dealer, I was just another 911 owner. At the Nissan dealer, I get treated like royalty.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:10 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tradervic
Jasper,

I don't disagree that there could have been something to add to the experience, but I do not think it takes anything away by not having it.

There has been a GTROC for quite a few years now, though.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
If you want an out-the-box track car: GT3 or Lotus.
If you want very fast and moddable street cars: GT-R or Turbo S

I like GT-R because I see one maybe once every 2 months. It's an amazing platform to mod with over 1000whp options. Turbo S can only get up to 600whp or less as of now. If you want to go higher, you need to spend a ton of money and time on upgrading the transmission and possibly the motor.

I've also loved the GT-R since the R32 was first introduced. It was a legend for those in the street racing/import scene. Obviously it appeals to a younger generation, although that isn't the only strong point of the GT-R but it is definitely something to take note (it's also a reason why every teen and 20-something will gawk and even beg you to let them take pics of it).

The 911 Turbo is a slow evolution of a race bred car tamed for the streets with livable amenities like AWD. It's got a high price tag but because it's still a 911 most people mistaken it for your average Carrera.

They are both great cars and I think it's foolishness to bicker over which one is better or not. They are also priced differently. If you value the extra luxurious leather and the tight construction as well as the smooth transmission of the Turbo S then it is worth the extra $70k+-. Just like if you value the looks and visceral feel of the Ferrari you can add an extra $70k to the price of the Turbo S and buy a 458 Italia.
Right now the Turbo S can only go around 600whp. I'd like to think that in the future, Champion and others will be able improve this (just like Dodson and others did with GT-R's).

I agree with everything else.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:20 PM
venkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond reputevenkatreddytx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
It was actually one of the better parts of my ownership... At the Porsche dealer, I was just another 911 owner. At the Nissan dealer, I get treated like royalty.
Not if you drive a 997TT or GT2 you do get special attention.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:38 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Not if you drive a 997TT or GT2 you do get special attention.
The first time I took my 997TT in for service at the dealership - they gave me a Cooper Mini as a "loaner." I definitely felt special. (...which is why I do 99% of my own service now.)

Old 06-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Bob

That a good one, better then the Versa I was offered and I said no thanks drop me off at home.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Banned
M3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud of
If you go to Hyundai you get better service than Nissan. I don't think you can get worse than that, not to say that the dealership close to me, the dealership is falling apart.
The 997 turbo or the GTR still good street cars, that's all they are. Sorry but I can't see the point of having a 1000 hp cars. That's probably for people that have confidence problems, and need to prove something. Doesn't make you a better driver, doesn't prove anything, just who has more money to spend. In that case, if you like that go buy or build a drag car. You can't do sh@t on the streets anymore, and to try to drive a good car to it's full potential, you won't be able to do on the streets, being a straight line car, or a proper build car.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:09 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Bob

That a good one, better then the Versa I was offered and I said no thanks drop me off at home.
You spend $150K on a sports car at a dealership, and a econobox is what is offered as a loaner. That just doesn't sound right.

Last edited by bbywu; 06-13-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by bbywu
You spend $150K on a sports car at a dealership, and a econobox is what is offered as a loaner. That just doesn't sound right.
That's because it's not right. For the GT-R, the loaner MUST be a Maxima or equivalent (says in the owner's manual).

If it bothers you, report it to NNA. If it doesn't bother you, don't worry about it.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:05 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by M3EvoBR
If you go to Hyundai you get better service than Nissan. I don't think you can get worse than that, not to say that the dealership close to me, the dealership is falling apart.
The 997 turbo or the GTR still good street cars, that's all they are. Sorry but I can't see the point of having a 1000 hp cars. That's probably for people that have confidence problems, and need to prove something. Doesn't make you a better driver, doesn't prove anything, just who has more money to spend. In that case, if you like that go buy or build a drag car. You can't do sh@t on the streets anymore, and to try to drive a good car to it's full potential, you won't be able to do on the streets, being a straight line car, or a proper build car.
+1... i would love to acquire your gt2, but this ring is costing me an arm and a leg and im sure she wont approve of another crazy porsche...

Old 06-14-2011, 04:33 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
this is another reason why Audi is so damn underrated it disgusts me.

Audi only deals with Audi period... You drive an Audi in for service you get
and Audi loaner.

I wish more people knew what fine quality and detail to service goes into these cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Latest Turbo S vs GTR track review. Let the yodeling begin..