997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Latest Turbo S vs GTR track review. Let the yodeling begin..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 04:52 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
Not to hijack a thread but..

yeah you really can't do **** on the streets any more...memorial day weekend I took my 9k mile Turbo for a relatively short 20 minute drive and got nailed (absolute bull crap "pacing" method") by a state trooper who claims "I don't know how fast you were going but you were walking on me" I'm ticketing you for 80MPH...and no front plate...

This had to be while getting on the freeway left lane in a <10 second sprint.

That's a pace?
I have to watch the damn speedo now while switching lanes...beautiful economy we live in.....

Old 06-14-2011, 05:28 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Serpentene
this is another reason why Audi is so damn underrated it disgusts me.

Audi only deals with Audi period... You drive an Audi in for service you get
and Audi loaner.

I wish more people knew what fine quality and detail to service goes into these cars.
What I've seen is that not every dealer is an R8 authorized repair shop. I was told this by my local Audi dealer. I had to go shopping over 70 miles away (and this is where I was told I would have to take it for scheduled maintenance). Much like the GT-R dealerships vs every other Nissan dealer.

And I don't expect an R8 as a loaner (probably an A4 or something). That is on par with the current deal with Nissan GT-R's.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:22 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
this is another reason why Audi is so damn underrated it disgusts me.

Audi only deals with Audi period... You drive an Audi in for service you get
and Audi loaner.

I wish more people knew what fine quality and detail to service goes into these cars.
i always get porsche rentals...cayman pdk or manual, whatever i want or cayenne, panamera.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:23 AM
btapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
It was actually one of the better parts of my ownership... At the Porsche dealer, I was just another 911 owner. At the Nissan dealer, I get treated like royalty.
Me too! It was a great experience on my 2012 GT-R. Here is my review. I have the 996 Turbo listed below and take it to the track when I can. I haven't been to the track in the GT-R but I know it would beat 98% of everything on the track. It is refined and easy to drive fast. That includes GT3's and all of the other track prepped cars out there. A few of you sound like the Country Club *******s that I run into sometimes.. I would rather go to a NASCAR event in most cases then hang around with some 112 lb guy with a flipped collar Polo. Relax people! They are cars.. Enjoy them and appreciate what the other has.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:17 AM
ItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant futureItalianStallion has a brilliant future
Not to hijack a thread but..

yeah you really can't do **** on the streets any more...memorial day weekend I took my 9k mile Turbo for a relatively short 20 minute drive and got nailed (absolute bull crap "pacing" method") by a state trooper who claims "I don't know how fast you were going but you were walking on me" I'm ticketing you for 80MPH...and no front plate...

This had to be while getting on the freeway left lane in a <10 second sprint.

That's a pace?
I have to watch the damn speedo now while switching lanes...beautiful economy we live in.....
Yes I got nailed too but of course the officer just gives a general 90mph ticket. Also I found out I have a suspended license even though I was never notified by mail. Almost resulted in me getting thrown in prison over the weekend. Nice huh?

Anyway, on to the topic of dealership experiences, I TOTALLY agree that Nissan's service center is horrible. I've written up horror reviews over at Nagtroc a while back. I did find a good Nissan dealership in CT but they also sell Jaguar so I think that is why it's a nice one where you get treated with respect. The others were just horrendous.

For Porsche, Manhattan Motorcars always treated me like a gentleman. But I have had some negative dealership experiences as well so I think it its the individual dealerships, though Porsche Service > Nissan Service anyday!

Old 06-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Zybane is infamous around these parts
I have found this discussion entertaining and I'd like to toss in my two cents since I am shopping around for a high performance AWD 2+2.

Back in '07/'08 I was very close to purchasing a GT-R. For ~$72k they were an amazing value. Now with them approaching $100k new they are a good value but not great. With that said, I do think the 997 TT new is overpriced. You know Porsche is making a decent buck on their cars. The car could easily lose $20,000+ off its sticker and still be plenty profitable.

Now I'd like to pose a hypothetical. If you were offered a free 997TT or GT-R, which do you think would get taken up more? If you take initial cost and depreciation out of the equation (you couldn't sell either car for 10+ years) I'd wager the Porsche would come out far ahead. A good 90%+ of car enthusiasts would take the Porsche. The GT-R wins the price/performance crown but I think the huge majority would consider the 997TT a better overall car. People are willing to pay for it.

The reasons I did not pull the trigger on the GT-R: almost 4000lbs is just crazy weight for a sports car, interior is a bit on the cheap side and the exterior looks never really motivated me. Not to mention I am one of those people that thinks a true sports car has a real gearbox. Sure dual clutch auto's are faster but I think you lose a lot in the pleasure of driving.

Right now I am looking for a used car for around $80,000 and let the first owner take the big hit. I have found that the GT-R actually holds its value quite well while the 911TT loses a bit more. Good for me, bad for the original buyer.

$80k will buy a 2010/2011 GT-R with very low miles. $80k will also get you a 2007/2008 911TT with around 25k miles. I am definitely leaning towards the latter. I prefer the Porsche styling, great fit and finish, incredible reliability and a proper six speed manual.

Who here thinks I would be crazy to go for the 911TT versus an almost brand new GT-R?

Last edited by Zybane; 06-14-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:12 AM
LuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Zybane
I have found this discussion entertaining and I'd like to toss in my two cents since I am shopping around for a high performance AWD 2+2.

Back in '07/'08 I was very close to purchasing a GT-R. For ~$72k they were an amazing value. Now with them approaching $100k new they are a good value but not great. With that said, I do think the 997 TT new is overpriced. You know Porsche is making a decent buck on their cars. The car could easily lose $20,000+ off its sticker and still be plenty profitable.

Now I'd like to pose a hypothetical. If you were offered a free 997TT or GT-R, which do you think would get taken up more? If you take initial cost and depreciation out of the equation (you couldn't sell either car for 10+ years) I'd wager the Porsche would come out far ahead. A good 90%+ of car enthusiasts would take the Porsche. The GT-R wins the price/performance crown but I think the huge majority would consider the 997TT a better overall car. People are willing to pay for it.

The reasons I did not pull the trigger on the GT-R: almost 4000lbs is just crazy weight for a sports car, interior is a bit on the cheap side and the exterior looks never really motivated me. Not to mention I am one of those people that thinks a true sports car has a real gearbox. Sure dual clutch auto's are faster but I think you lose a lot in the pleasure of driving.

Right now I am looking for a used car for around $80,000 and let the first owner take the big hit. I have found that the GT-R actually holds its value quite well while the 911TT loses a bit more. Good for me, bad for the original buyer.

$80k will buy a 2010/2011 GT-R with very low miles. $80k will also get you a 2007/2008 911TT with around 25k miles. I am definitely leaning towards the latter. I prefer the Porsche styling, great fit and finish, incredible reliability and a proper six speed manual.

Who here thinks I would be crazy to go for the 911TT versus an almost brand new GT-R?
I know you're crazy

Ofcourse the Porsche's interior and all is above GTR but you get a 4 yr old slower car compared to a new car.

Anyways it's preference, cant be objective with that!

GL

Old 06-15-2011, 06:18 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zybane

For all of the reasons you listed as your preference, I'd opt for the 911. I'd personally try to add about $15k to the budget and get a '12 GT-R, but if you can get an '08 TT for $80k, that sounds like a pretty good deal. Now all we have to worry about is warranty stuff (whereas the GT-R would still be within warranty).

*edit: There a few reasons I would still pick the GT-R over the 911 (space, functionality, etc...). But as far as weight, sure on paper it looks like a lot, but once you drive it, you may wonder where all the weight disappears to. It is very balanced. I'd say only a select few would notice the weight (under extreme driving conditions on track), and only a small amount at that.

Last edited by jaspergtr; 06-15-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Zybane is infamous around these parts
Could you elaborate on space and functionality? Do you mean a bigger trunk or back seats?

This biggest hurdle for me is the GT-R not having a manual gearbox. I've had a floppy paddle car before and did not enjoy it nearly as much as a manual.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Ok guys. Back to topic, and the original post. Reading the entire review over lunch today where the GTR and TTS were professionally tested, it would appear i have made an error in my post #53 where i stated i was unaware of the TTS ever breaking the 11 second barrier here in Aus. I was wrong. Going by this latest June Performance mag article where these two cars were tested back to back, in January this year this exact same turbo S car as shown in the OP video was tested at Eastern creek dragway and produced a time of 10.87 down the 400m. They said this particular car, since being used in the targa tassie race event has subsequently been left short of its potential, (maybe copped too much of a flogging ) hence it now producing an above 11 second time instead of the previous sub 11 sec times. The January test was also conducted in far hotter temps as well, January being one of Sydneys hottest Summer months. As most would know, colder temps usually favor turbo cars when it comes to producing fast times. I just thought this was worth mentioning as Scott Divextreme had previously quoted the TTS as being able to produce a 10.7 over your way therefore I wanted to set the record straight. Note the GTR was not used in the Targa race event so would not have been subjected to anywhere near the pounding the S would have undoubtedly copped for days on end down in Tas.

Two interesting points i also read in the comparison were:
1)The drivers had reported the ergonomics and general layout of the Porsche to be superior than the Nissan. Quote: the big difference between the 911 and the Nissan, cabin wise, is all down to how each car seats you. The 911 has a wide range of height adjust on the drivers chair, enabling you to sit wickedly low for that genuine race car sensation.(Actually, this has a driving habit implication, too, because it forces you to look out over the dashboard, keeping your vision up which, as any driving instructor will tell you, is important). The GTR on the other hand, has you perched quite high with a chair you tend to sit on rather than in. Try each car with a helmet strapped on and you'll immediately see what we mean.

2) There was a mention that in the test, they also bought a non S into the comparison equation. Regarding the best 1/4 times they could produce in the GTR: Quote: But the non S Porker is even quicker, smashing the Nissans time with an 11.3 at 199.3. Rest to 100 took 3.3, slower than our best ever in 911 Turbos, but not bad on the day. To be honest the Porsche's launch control didn't do it as many favours as the Nissan's. Fact is, the 911 seems to allow a little wheelspin into the equation but works against the car....
Quote: Best of all possible worlds? The Porsches engine with the Nissan's launch control, and you'd be looking at a 10 second run on the right day.

Just thought the above points may be of interest to some .

Last edited by speed21; 06-16-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:36 AM
LuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud of
The Porsche IS faster in the DRAG than GTR no doubt. The S is faster at some tracks where as the plain jane turbo isnt.

It's all preference, with The GTR your get alot more in terms of day to day comforts. A MFG that is out of this world with so much data that you could spend a day on, a large boot, and a more.

Well Porsche is, well Porsche. The driving ergonomics are better suited but they do charge a lot more.

Not really the case in UAE as a GTR is priced at 480k where as a 911 TT is priced at 560k. But you get my point.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:55 AM
GreenwichM3 is infamous around these parts
regardless of it being faster than the 911 its just how crazy that the GTR has come this far with this much credibility. its the japanese 911 turbo lol

Old 06-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by speed21
The Porsches engine with the Nissan's launch control, and you'd be looking at a 10 second run on the right day.
Nissan GT-R without a tune has run 10.9 1/4. Was it the right day? I don't know. It was about 85deg or so in humid weather (was mentioned on another thread).

Old 06-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Nissan GT-R without a tune has run 10.9 1/4. Was it the right day? I don't know. It was about 85deg or so in humid weather (was mentioned on another thread).
Where 1/4 times are concerned, it evidently appears that regardless of the day, the temps etc, if these 3 cars were lined up by professional testers the GTR will put down the slowest time out of the 3.

For some reason some members struggle with this reality out of brand loyalty.

Last edited by speed21; 06-16-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:30 AM
Originally Posted by speed21
Where 1/4 times are concerned, it evidently appears that regardless of the day, the temps etc, if these 3 cars were lined up by professional testers the GTR will put down the slowest time out of the 3.

For some reason some members struggle with this reality out of brand loyalty.
Who, speed? Name one person that refuted this anywhere.

(I wish you would mention my name - so I can further display your illiteracy, by referencing posts from this thread)

So, I eagerly await the point of your post.

The problem with your position, is that you've already said too much about how the GT-R owners are poor, and cannot afford a Porsche (perhaps even a $30K C2, $50k Turbo, or $90K C2).

How's this?

For some reason, some members (you, speed - so there is no confusion) struggle with still trying to justify their financial decision and status to complete stangers on the internet, to hide their individual insecurity of a car that costs almost half as much and offers almost all of the performance as the Porsche Turbo S.

(Please - other car enthusiasts - this shoe does not fit you)

By all means, speed - continue to justify to all of us (unnecessarily), your decision to purchase a car (that only you have to like, and not all of us). The floor is yours.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Latest Turbo S vs GTR track review. Let the yodeling begin..