997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Latest Turbo S vs GTR track review. Let the yodeling begin..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TXTurbo

The other tests are bench racing.. Different tests on different days with the results skewed to show the GTR faster. Do you really think that the ring time of 7:41.23 for the S would be slower than the previous gen car?

Bottom line, same track, same day GTR can't beat the Turbo S.
Bottom line: In this video, same track, same day, the Turbo S can't beat the GT-R even though the GT-R started dead last. If we include this video as well, the score is now 6 road-course wins for the GT-R, 2 wins for the Turbo S...GT-R always on runflats and 330 lbs heavier. As far as 'ring times, until the Turbo S runs faster than 7:41, that IS its ring time. That would be like me claiming GT-Rs run 10.5's at the dragstrip stock, even though its never happened.

It's all good. You can stop making excuses and claiming ridiculous conspiracy theories (the same type of ridiculous theories could be said about the Fifth Gear video you posted). The Turbo S is clearly faster in a straight line....and that's all that matters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lll5eMeEqoU

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-05-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:19 AM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
[QUOTE=Divexxtreme;3224532]

Bottom line: In this video, same track, same day, the Turbo S can't beat the GT-R even though the GT-R started dead last. If we include this video as well, the score is now 6 road-course wins for the GT-R, 2 wins for the Turbo S...GT-R always on runflats and 330 lbs heavier. As far as 'ring times, until the Turbo S runs faster than 7:41, that IS its ring time. That would be like me claiming GT-Rs run 10.5's at the dragstrip stock, even though its never happened.

It's all good Doug. You can stop making excuses and claiming ridiculous conspiracy theories (the same type of ridiculous theories could be said about the Fifth Gear video you posted). The Turbo S is clearly faster in a straight line....and that's all that matters.

Who is Doug?

I guess your right. Sometimes the Turbo S is faster around a track and every time it's faster in a straight line.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:40 AM
NVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to behold
I guess your right. Sometimes the Turbo S is faster around a track and every time it's faster in a straight line.
11.6 is a joke 1/4 mile time. Interesting how these biased videos always have to edit everything and never just show the start head to head. Its quite obvious that the porsche gets a healthy jump, or maybe the GT-R driver weighs 300 lbs. Oh, and no 60' time published for the GTR. Hmmm. But wait, oh yea, the porsche is 2x the $$$. I forgot. That MUST make it better.

Last edited by NVRENUF; 06-05-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !

Who is Doug?

You are absolutely right. As I stated earlier, the GT-R dominates the Turbo around a road-course, and the Turbo dominates the GT-R in a straight line. The good thing for GT-R owners is that all they need is a $1200.00 flash to run 10.7's like the Turbo. But unfortunately the Turbo owners will need much more complex chassis modifications to consistently beat the GT-Rs around a road course.

Regardless, they are both outstanding cars; a fact that isn't lost on the true enthusiast.

My apologies for calling you Doug. I confused you with someone else.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-05-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:18 AM
FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !FLT6SPD Is a GOD !
/end thread

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
they are both outstanding cars...a fact that isn't lost on the true enthusiast.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-05-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:20 AM
NVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to beholdNVRENUF is a splendid one to behold
I agree with ECLOU, except Im not into his dogs bowel movements. haha I hate beating dead horses... but I was bored this morning.

Divv.. Im with you, but not with you.
With you: As a true enthusiast and previous P-car owner, I totally agree and appreciate both cars for the amazing cars they are. I won't even try to say one is "better than the other." Depends on person, desires, goals. FOR ME, the GT-R is leaps and bounds better... FOR ME. But these guys kill me with how defensive they get and how proud they are of a beat.
Not with you: I really haven't paid much attention to the comparisons. I don't know that I can say it gets beat every time in straight line. I didn't realize a stock Turbo S ran a 10.7 legit. If so, awesome. Credit where its due. But from what I've seen, they are so close, this last video is not correct @ 11.6.

I'd get laughed off the forums if I posted my car beating a $40k mustang by a nose, and bragging about it saying "yeah, but its still a Ford" I guess thats the difference between caring about the image, and just wanting best performance possible.

Last edited by NVRENUF; 06-05-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by NVRENUF
I agree with ECLOU, except Im not into his dogs bowel movements. haha I hate beating dead horses... but I was bored this morning.

Divv.. Im with you, but not with you.

Not with you: I really haven't paid much attention to the comparisons. I don't know that I can say it gets beat every time in straight line. I didn't realize a stock Turbo S ran a 10.7 legit. If so, awesome. Credit where its due. But from what I've seen, they are so close, this last video is not correct @ 11.6.
The Turbo S is indeed faster in a straight line. It clearly pulls on the GT-R in the straights in both videos, and R&T ran a 10.7 @ 128.9 in one (see attached). No stock GT-R has done that. I'm simply giving credit where it's due.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Road-Test-Summary-July-2011.pdf (386.4 KB, 233 views)

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-05-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:42 AM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
Every Porsche Turbo S owner can afford a GTR.

Not every GTR owner can afford a Turbo S.

You'd think based on these threads, no one would ever buy a Turbo S... or a Gallardo or an Italia as the GTR is just as good and cheap.

But they do.

There are a lot of cars for a lot of varying tastes. To me, there is more to a car than numbers and tracks times. Don't really care when I'm flying down the highway in my 911 at super sonic speeds with a big grin on my face. I had Porsche envy as a 12 year old kid and no track time, no matter how good, would ever get me into a $100K Nissan or any other car for that reason. For many Porsche owners, owning such is more than performance but a dream come true.

Both are great cars but I imagine those who bought the Porsche bought it because they love Porsches. Nissan owners perhaps wanted Porsche, Ferrari performance and found such in a Nissan - for far less money. This is likely where this 'rivalry' even came from. Few Porsche owners would even care about what a Nissan can do but it is certainly not so there other way around.. I never even heard of the GTR until I joined this forum. So, what's the big deal? I think everyone likes a bargain and the GTR is a bargain.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:35 PM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
11.6 is a joke 1/4 mile time. Interesting how these biased videos always have to edit everything and never just show the start head to head. Its quite obvious that the porsche gets a healthy jump, or maybe the GT-R driver weighs 300 lbs. Oh, and no 60' time published for the GTR. Hmmm. But wait, oh yea, the porsche is 2x the $$$. I forgot. That MUST make it better.
Biased video? Maybe you need to watch it again.

The GTR got the jump but the Turbo S still beat it.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:38 PM
997slover is a glorious beacon of light997slover is a glorious beacon of light997slover is a glorious beacon of light997slover is a glorious beacon of light997slover is a glorious beacon of light
link of the test of Turbo S vs GT-R not work, have another link to see this video?

Old 06-05-2011, 03:04 PM
The Turbo S is indeed faster in a straight line. It clearly pulls on the GT-R in the straights in both videos, and R&T ran a 10.7 @ 128.9 in one (see attached). No stock GT-R has done that. I'm simply giving credit where it's due.
You are correct then. Credit is due. I remembered it in the 10's, but didnt remember 10.7. Thats smokin for stock car. But i dont have the genetic capability to keep a car stock, much like you

But 11.6 is really a joke run. However, comparing to R&T, the 11.0 porsche run wasn't great either. Bad conditions or something. I still think the gtr start was botched. Wouldnt change the "winner" result, but should at least be .2 faster if conditions not great.

Thebland: you do make some good points. Along those lines: i love that i can have a 830 awhp, 9 second car for a very reasonable amount of $$$. Like you said. Its all what we as individuals want. I strictly want the performance with at least some style (hence me not just having a evo or subi). And i fault no one for enjoying Porsches lineage, performance standards, history, and curves. I like em too!

So cheers and let the eternal battle continue

Last edited by NVRENUF; 06-05-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nevert00fast
I call B.S.! The GTR can't lose!!!

It was either
1) Driver error(Yes, even though both were autos with LC)
2) Lane selection
3) Maybe the GTR had more gas in the tank than the TTS
4) Maybe the GTR driver weighs more the TTS driver
5) GTR wasn't broken in yet
6) GTR was a mule car that was abused and running like crap
7) All of the above

Originally Posted by k_ddsl
or

8) maybe because in the land down under, it kept going in circles instead of straight because there, it's the

. Actually being called "donut king" isn't all that flattering . Maybe that pink duco matches the drivers pink lippy and skirt...JK Nissan guys.

Congrats to Porsche! Although I'm not surprised considering they make exactly the same power but the GT-R weighs 330 lbs more. Stock to stock, the Turbo S has proven time and time again that it's faster in a straight line, just as the GT-R has proven time and time again that's it's faster around a road course (even on run-flats).

So yes, the 'drag car' title definitely belongs to the Porsche and the 'road-course' title to the Nissan. This is a huge win for Porsche!!

997 Turbo S GT-R (Mk II)

Nordschleife 7:41.23 7:24.22
Hockenheim Short 1:10.90 1:10.00
Sugo 1:37.75 1:34.65
SportAuto wet handling test 1:37.10 1:35.00
Nurburgring GP (3.7 km) 1:39.31 1:39.62
Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours Club 1:22.90 1:21.55

Max speed 320 kph 323 kph
0 - 100 kph 3.0 s 3.0 s
0 - 100 mph 6.3 s 7.4 s
0 - 200 kph 9.8 s 11.2 s
0 - 60 mph 2.6 s 2.9 s
0 - 40 kph 1.0 s 1.1 s
1/4 mile 10.7 s @ 128 mph 11.1 s
Power/weight ratio 330 bhp/tonne 301 bhp/tonne

Discipline 997 Turbo S GT-R (Mk II)
Track Performance 2 points 122 points
Straight line speed 432 points 395 points
Total 434 517

http://www.fastestlaps.com/compariso...gt-r_2011.html
Well Scott i guess the same "huge win" claim can and has been spruiked at times by members of the Nissan camp as well. Diminishing the "huge-ness"and/or significance of any win is a typical reaction of the losing party, but doing so must somehow help sooth the pain of the loss . But thats OK. Both camps are guilty of that crime .

On the performance times i'll post up the latest details shortly when i get the time today. The latest test between the two contenders conducted by Performance Car Mag show all accel times in 10kph increments up to 190kph. The cars generally run pretty close but the gap widens as the speed increases. Test was done at same time of day too so the times are Kosher in that regard.

The summary comments were also interesting so i'll post those up as well.

Last edited by speed21; 06-05-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:10 PM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
Road and Track timed th Buggati and Turbo S at 2.6 seconds to 60 MPH... A tie. That said any Porsche owner that claims equality over the Buggati because of that stat would get laughed at by the Buggati owner. The Buggati is by far the more Desired car (money no object). With the GTR comparisons here, the Porsche owners are now the ones laughing. GTWHAT?

Old 06-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !

It's all good. You can stop making excuses and claiming ridiculous conspiracy theories (the same type of ridiculous theories could be said about the Fifth Gear video you posted). The Turbo S is clearly faster in a straight line....and that's all that matters.

Big problem with this particular vid Scott is that its a BM/JDM production, meaning that Japanese patriotism and brand loyalty would see even a ricshaw win a race between the TT. These vids are renowned for the showmanship and bias. Entertaining maybe....but factual? Yeh right .

Well not really. What needs to be acknowledged is the icy cold temps here at the moment would put these cars very close to their optimum.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:35 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thebland
Every Porsche Turbo S owner can afford a GTR.

Not every GTR owner can afford a Turbo S.

You'd think based on these threads, no one would ever buy a Turbo S... or a Gallardo or an Italia as the GTR is just as good and cheap.

But they do.

There are a lot of cars for a lot of varying tastes. To me, there is more to a car than numbers and tracks times. Don't really care when I'm flying down the highway in my 911 at super sonic speeds with a big grin on my face. I had Porsche envy as a 12 year old kid and no track time, no matter how good, would ever get me into a $100K Nissan or any other car for that reason. For many Porsche owners, owning such is more than performance but a dream come true.

Both are great cars but I imagine those who bought the Porsche bought it because they love Porsches. Nissan owners perhaps wanted Porsche, Ferrari performance and found such in a Nissan - for far less money. This is likely where this 'rivalry' even came from. Few Porsche owners would even care about what a Nissan can do but it is certainly not so there other way around.. I never even heard of the GTR until I joined this forum. So, what's the big deal? I think everyone likes a bargain and the GTR is a bargain.
The ignorance displayed in this post is astounding... You do not sound like an enthusiast at all, but rather a brand snob.

Very few Mercedes owners care about GTR's performance, or any Porsche 911 for that matter (C2, C2S, C4, C4S, Turbo, or Turbo S).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Latest Turbo S vs GTR track review. Let the yodeling begin..