997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Latest Turbo S vs GTR track review. Let the yodeling begin..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 08:41 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
Big problem with this particular vid Scott is that its a BM/JDM production, meaning that Japanese patriotism and brand loyalty would see even a ricshaw win a race between the TT. These vids are renowned for the showmanship and bias. Entertaining maybe....but factual? Yeh right .
Let me help you with this one...

It was in response to the Fifth Gear video where they passed each other on almost every turn. I hope you didn't think that was for real either...

So, a car that cost almost twice as much with less weight and about the same power, won a drag race? Where is this a surprise?

Let me bring all of this back to reality. The Turbo S wasn't the target, the Turbo was. And the mere fact that these two are being compared is proof that Nissan achieved that goal, because now the goal post has been moved by the opposing team. Porsche basically said,"Okay, the GT-R is faster than our Turbo, but we've got an 'S' (that has the same DCT style transmission that everybody with a Turbo complained about not having in the GT-R, but now it's okay because we've done it too)."

Old 06-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Banned
M3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud ofM3EvoBR has much to be proud of
I'm thinking about buying a GTR, but I would never, ever give up my GT2 for a GTR. The car is really amazing for the price and performance. I don't buy the look of the car, too japanese for my taste, interior still cheap, but well, you should be aware that you are buying a Nissan, the same way when you buy a Porsche GT2 or 3 you know that you will replace the LSD in the first month. Both are great, and have their pros and cons. It's a fact that the GTR raised the performance bar.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Let me help you with this one...

It was in response to the Fifth Gear video where they passed each other on almost every turn. I hope you didn't think that was for real either...

So, a car that cost almost twice as much with less weight and about the same power, won a drag race? Where is this a surprise?

Let me bring all of this back to reality. The Turbo S wasn't the target, the Turbo was. And the mere fact that these two are being compared is proof that Nissan achieved that goal, because now the goal post has been moved by the opposing team. Porsche basically said,"Okay, the GT-R is faster than our Turbo, but we've got an 'S' (that has the same DCT style transmission that everybody with a Turbo complained about not having in the GT-R, but now it's okay because we've done it too)."

I'm not sure why you took the liberty of answering my post to Diva but anyway...... Agreed the Fifth gear track clip is more for entertainment than proving anything 100% conclusively. And the drag start with no officials....well, even though the GTR got the clear jump it was was still rounded up by the finish line so it's both logical and reasonable to deduce that the TTS owns the GTR in a drag down the 1/4 anywhere, anytime, any day. Anyway, furthermore in response to your post: The TT (non S) holds the faster standing 1/4 time, again conducted by independant testers for Performance Car mag Aust, under the scrutiny and supervision of race officials at Eastern creek dragway during July 2010, on a very brisk cold night...similar to the evening temps this most recent test was conducted. The aim was to get banned by passing an 11 second time. Didnt quite happen....

FYI, the TT results were: 1st pass 0 to 60 ft: 1.855 seconds, 400 metre in 11.058. Vmax 205.31kmh. 2nd pass:1.847 sec, 11.030 sec, 205.58kph. 3rd pass:1.81, 11.065, 204.96, 4th pass: 1.792, 11.025 sec,205.40kph, 5th pass:1.732, 11.038, 204.28kph.

So as you can see ^^, the TT (non S) actually managed to lay down a faster time than the TTS and still currently holds the 400 record for PCA mag, slightly better than the TTS's personal best at 11.04 in similar conditions....although a separate test on a different occassion.

Now i'm not sure what "reality" you are actually referring to here regarding P building the TTS to beat GTR, However, the TT and the TTS have actually both managed to lay down better standing quarter times than ANY GTR tested here in Aus to date. Incidentally there was also a hot tuner shootout held at a separate meet....separate discussion OK. I can post up results but be warned..you probably won't like them. As per usual with PCA's MO it was a very comprehensive test inc lap times, detailed accel times, 1/4 times, corner entry speeds on each turn etc etc.. The cars tested relevant cars to this topic are the TT.1, GT2.1, GTR .1. (all in tuned form), driven by some of Aus's best race drivers. So, please don't respond by telling me these guys cant drive or are all biased or involved in some kind of conspiracy to beat up on the GTR. And, also separate to this discussion again, but relevant where "the debate" is concerned was the Stig on Top Gear Aus that track timed the GTR against the GT2 for a second time after GTR owners cried foul after the first GTR defeat to GT2, where GTR camp moaned over the GTR having a speed limiter as the reason for the defeat....so there was outcry that the test was unfair... even though the cars top speed could not even be reached on the test track lap. So, It was once again conclusively proven (and on national TV) that even without the limiter the GTR was still unable to match the track time of the GT2.1. by @ near 2 seconds. Oh well...sigh...I imagine there are still cries of foul being yelled this very day by certain Nissan die hards over that outcome as well . Typical.

Anyway back to the GTR.2 vs TTS (and now TT), which both produced faster 1/4's (than GTR) under the supervision and scrutiny of race officials at the Sydney dragway....
You were saying Porsche made the TTS to beat the GTR because the TT couldnt? Your point?

Last edited by speed21; 06-06-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:54 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Well Scott i guess the same "huge win" claim can and has been spruiked at times by members of the Nissan camp as well. Diminishing the "huge-ness"and/or significance of any win is a typical reaction of the losing party, but doing so must somehow help sooth the pain of the loss . But thats OK. Both camps are guilty of that crime .
I actually wasn't diminishing anything. Sure, I had a bit of sarcasm in my post (far less than your first one in this thread, however), but since R&T ran a 10.7 @ 129 in a TTS back in November of 2010...the fact that it's a straight line rocket isn't news to me at all.

Unlike some people on this forum, I have the ability to give credit where it's due, and have been doing so for many years. with all sorts of cars.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-06-2011 at 05:27 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:18 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
I actually wasn't diminishing anything. Sure, I had a bit of sarcasm in my post (far less than your first one in this thread, however), but since R&T ran a 10.7 @ 129 in a TTS back in November of 2010...the fact that it's a straight line rocket isn't news to me at all.

Unlike some people on this forum, I have the ability to give credit where it's due, and having been doing so for many years. with all sorts of cars.
Wasn't directing that specifically at you....even though i detected your sarcasm. I was more so highlighting the general reaction from a certain breed of Nissan owner where confronted with any form of win from the Porsche campsite and vice versa. Anyway...Scott FWIW i recognised your acknowledgement of the win.

So now to those times i said i would post up.
0-10km/h GtR: 0.21/TTS: 0.24, 0-20 .54/.52, 0-30 .83/.79, 0-40 1.08/1.05, 0-50 1.37/1.32,0-60 1.7/1.68, 0-70 2.03/2.01, 0-80 2.42/2.43, 0-90 2.87 2.86, 0-100 3.35/3.32, 0-110 3.9/3.82, 0-120 4.51/4.43, 0-130 5.16/5.06, 0-140 5.89/5.74, 0-150 6.67/6.46, 0-160 7.53/7.27, 0-170 8.49/8.19, 0-180 9.5/9.18, 0-190 10.56/10.23.
The plus points summary on the Nissan: Amazingly accessible performance/handling. Price. Minus points: rock hard ride, useless rear seat, ultimately a bit soulless. The plus on the TTs: Out of this world punch;basically a luxo, friendlier GT2. Minus: PDK wheel paddles should be standard, tyre rumble, price.

Last edited by speed21; 06-06-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:30 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
GTR Minus points:...useless rear seat. ultimately a bit soulless...
These are my two biggest complaints as well... However, the Porsche TT's back seat is amazingly comfortable.

(Still trying to find where my car's soul is placed from the factory - I looked in the Porsche manual to find where they have theirs, but no luck there either, maybe it's in the rear seat?)

*edit: Won't even get into an 11.6 1/4 (or how to launch a car with "launch control", or how to shift automatically with an automatic shifter)

Last edited by jaspergtr; 06-06-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:43 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
These are my two biggest complaints as well... However, the Porsche TT's back seat is amazingly comfortable.

(Still trying to find where my car's soul is placed from the factory - I looked in the Porsche manual to find where they have theirs, but no luck there either, maybe it's in the rear seat?)
Well the GTR's lack of soul is always mentioned in 99.99% of every review i've ever read, and the useless back seat...well i guess in the event someone out there may be thinking the GTR's seat is any more useful than 911's there is a warning there?

And re your edit. Are you saying these guys had no idea on how to use GTR's launch control? You cant be serious. They said in the article they gave the car many chances to improve the time but couldn't. So is there a "Geni" switch somewhere?

Last edited by speed21; 06-06-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Well the GTR's lack of soul is always mentioned in 99.99% of every review i've ever read, and the useless back seat...well i guess in the event someone out there may be thinking the GTR's seat is any more useful than 911's there is a warning there?

And re your edit. Are you saying these guys had no idea on how to use GTR's launch control? You cant be serious. They said in the article they gave the car many chances to improve the time but couldn't. So is there a "Geni" switch somewhere?
11.6? Sorry, can't take that seriously. I realize that both cars ran crappy times, but this seems a little weird.

But yes, I realize that the "soulless" nature of the GT-R was referenced since day one (actually before the car came out, by people who drive Porsches (specifically)). Perhaps their clairvoyance bestowed on them by the magical badge that makes them better people. But since the beginning, for people who found out that the GT-R really did perform better than expected, I believe that people started to slam the car on intangibles... That way, the car will always have a negative, that can't be proved or disproved, and this was 'it'.

Again, just my opinion.

Does a Bugatti have a soul?
What about Lamborghini?
What about a 996 C2? Is the soul an option only purchased with a Turbo?
Does the 'S' trim come with it?
What about the Boxter?
I think my brother-in-law's Miata has one.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:11 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
The plus points summary on the Nissan: Amazingly accessible performance/handling. Price. Minus points: rock hard ride, useless rear seat, ultimately a bit soulless. The plus on the TTs: Out of this world punch;basically a luxo, friendlier GT2. Minus: PDK wheel paddles should be standard, tyre rumble, price.
Obviously these are subjective, but here are my thoughts:

-Soullessness; any heavy, AWD car with a dual-clutch tranmission can easily be considered soulless. They all drive essentially the same. If you want "soul", buy a lightweight, rwd car with 3-pedals.

**By the way, the TTS is no GT2.

-Both cars rear seats are pretty much useless, IMO. I certainly wouldn't buy either car with the intention of hauling more than 2 people around.

-Build quality: the interior of the Porsche is a bit better, but the tranny is ridiculously weak for a car in that price range. If you want to keep it stock, that's perfectly fine...but for those that want to mod for more than 600whp (like me), you're out of luck with the TTS. There are, however, many GT-Rs running at 700-800 whp range without tranny issues. If you want more power than that, there are many tranny build options available at relatively affordable prices.

-The paint on the GT-R sucks. Porsche paint is outstanding.

-Mostly due to the OEM runflats, the '09-'11 GT-R's ride is indeed very stiff, but I've heard the '12 is better. One thing about the stiff ride is that it allows you to feel the road much better, which to me, adds to the driving experience moreso than a luxo absorbing every little bump.

-Attention: The GT-R garners MUCH more attention (from people of all ages) than any 911 does. This may be bad or it may be good, depending on how you look at it.

-Handling. Haven't driven a TTS, but have driven several 997 Turbos and a 997.2 PDK TT and the GT-R puts them all to shame in this category. With a simple tire swap (from the OEM runflats to a good set of non-runflats) it only gets better.

-Price (US prices): The GT-R is probably a bit underpriced. The TTS is a bit overpriced, but considering the typical resale value dive of high end 911's, their prices become much more realistic in only 1 to 2 years.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-06-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:14 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
I could care less which one is faster in a straight line, especially Down Under.

At the end of the day, one of these is a Nissan, the other isn't. Any car that you have to explain to others as to what it is and why they paid so much for it (WHY is this Nissan NINETY THOUSAND DOLLARS!?!?!) tells you something.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:26 AM
MSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond reputeMSIZZLE66 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXTurbo
The other tests are bench racing.. Different tests on different days with the results skewed to show the GTR faster. Do you really think that the ring time of 7:41.23 for the S would be slower than the previous gen car?

Bottom line, same track, same day GTR can't beat the Turbo S.
not for nothing but thats just an ignorant statement!! some things are opinions ( like i like blue cars) but things are a fact and its a fact that gtr's are allot faster around a track that the 997tt and some track prep 997's as well. believe me if the tt could run around the ring faster porsche with all there racing heritage would use it as a selling point and im sure they tried

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-06-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by wjohnson36
At the end of the day, one of these is a Nissan, the other isn't. Any car that you have to explain to others as to what it is and why they paid so much for it (WHY is this Nissan NINETY THOUSAND DOLLARS!?!?!) tells you something.
Anybody who feels a requirement to explain to others how much they paid for a car...

The thing that makes me laugh is that the real ballers out there who own (and love) thier GT-Rs along with their Twin-Turbo Lamborghinis are so much more self-confident than a lot of the Porsche guys here. But then, a lot of them also own 1,000+ rwhp Toyota Supras and aren't ashamed of them either.

There are major character differences between a poseurs and enthusiasts.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-06-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:56 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Congrats to Porsche! Although I'm not surprised considering they make exactly the same power but the GT-R weighs 330 lbs more. Stock to stock, the Turbo S has proven time and time again that it's faster in a straight line, just as the GT-R has proven time and time again that's it's faster around a road course (even on run-flats).

So yes, the 'drag car' title definitely belongs to the Porsche and the 'road-course' title to the Nissan. This is a huge win for Porsche!!

997 Turbo S GT-R (Mk II)

Nordschleife 7:41.23 7:24.22
Hockenheim Short 1:10.90 1:10.00
Sugo 1:37.75 1:34.65
SportAuto wet handling test 1:37.10 1:35.00
Nurburgring GP (3.7 km) 1:39.31 1:39.62
Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours Club 1:22.90 1:21.55

Max speed 320 kph 323 kph
0 - 100 kph 3.0 s 3.0 s
0 - 100 mph 6.3 s 7.4 s
0 - 200 kph 9.8 s 11.2 s
0 - 60 mph 2.6 s 2.9 s
0 - 40 kph 1.0 s 1.1 s
1/4 mile 10.7 s @ 128 mph 11.1 s
Power/weight ratio 330 bhp/tonne 301 bhp/tonne

Discipline 997 Turbo S GT-R (Mk II)
Track Performance 2 points 122 points
Straight line speed 432 points 395 points
Total 434 517

http://www.fastestlaps.com/compariso...gt-r_2011.html

For someone like you who dosen't care about road course, why bring it up ? None of the cars you have ever built are ever catered for what they are intended to do. From what I have seen you only focus on a straight line so why bother with bringing track times ? I'm not trying to be negative just trying to find your standing. IF it was the opposite, i.e. GTR lost in a track vs. a Porsche but GTR faster in a straight line you would be arguing the opposite. Both are great cars, but in my book both are not drivers cars as none of them have a 3rd pedal. Now, for so much carrying for road course performance, way to go for messing up a GTR by adding 1000hp. Sorry, for if i came across as an *** i'm sorry but... just saying.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:01 AM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
Okey dokey, time to move on. Thanks for the posts.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:08 AM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
Porsches taste like chicken...(just not KPG's, LOL)

Last edited by SCvet00; 06-06-2011 at 10:10 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Latest Turbo S vs GTR track review. Let the yodeling begin..