997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Latest Turbo S vs GTR track review. Let the yodeling begin..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:42 PM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
The target was never the TTS. Why compare the two?

Can you please tell us the difference between the TT S and the TT?

Old 06-06-2011, 09:48 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TXTurbo
Can you please tell us the difference between the TT S and the TT?
For starters, about $25k, 30HP and PDK only transmission.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:56 PM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
For starters, about $25k, 30HP and PDK only transmission.
Makes perfect sense why Nissan would not want to target the S and stick to the standard car.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:00 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TXTurbo
Makes perfect sense why Nissan would not want to target the S and stick to the standard car.
This is what the target has been since day one. I didn't make this decision... I have absolutely no idea why they chose one over the other. I don't really care either. Competition is making both cars better.

Plus a bunch of little things that add up to $25k. I'm not sure if it is worth the upgrade. I certainly hope it is over $25k in additional parts, because $25k for 30HP just doesn't seem worth it. Anybody disagree?

Old 06-06-2011, 10:56 PM
This is what the target has been since day one. I didn't make this decision... I have absolutely no idea why they chose one over the other. I don't really care either. Competition is making both cars better.

Plus a bunch of little things that add up to $25k. I'm not sure if it is worth the upgrade. I certainly hope it is over $25k in additional parts, because $25k for 30HP just doesn't seem worth it. Anybody disagree?
Configure the standard car with every available preformance option and then compare the result to the S. The price is nearly the same because the cars are basically the same with the exception of the over boost function. It's on all the time in the S model and only available for 10 second bursts on the standard turbo.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:34 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Apparently, with all of the words I've chosen... You've understood none of them. I'm having difficulty explaining things to you anymore.

Because, based on the words you've chosen you've seen nothing I've posted.

My preferred brand came in second? Of course it did. It was supposed to. The TTS is supposed to be superior to the GT-R in a straight line (even though neither car was designed to excel just in these areas). Again, please tell me where the shocker is. The target was never the TTS. Why compare the two? Why not throw in a Mustang V6 against a ZR-1 while we're at it?

You are not the only person who heard the soulless comments about the GT-R (even BEFORE it was released). Did you miss that part? I said BEFORE it was released. Which means, it's now (back then) the cool way to report on it (READ: DESCRIBED BY SO-CALLED JOURNALISTS - as you, for some reason had to point out, after I already made the comment). This discussion was already held, and I thought the rest of the world moved on from it (I'm hoping you did too, and you just responded to this crap for absolutely no reason whatsoever, as the reference to soul is baseless, hence my response - it was supposed to be sarcastic, and irrelevant - not a primary talking point by you or anyone else).
Blowing a gasket over this comment of soul or lack thereof isn't going to resolve the issue for the GTR. These are not my words nor the words of the Porsche community, but the words of 99.99% of motoring journalists, testers, pro drivers...so on, etc. I dismissed your comment that Porsche owners were behind some conspiracy of inflicting this lack of soul tag on the GTR (before it was released) as there were no substantive facts to support what appeared to be an emotive and fanciful claim. And even if you were able to muster a name or two it's irrelevant as the car has been in the market for some time now yet this comment of lack of soul, whether past or present, continues to be reported and is also being directed at the latest iteration. So please direct any personal frustrations toward the independent qualified persons who continue to issue that comment after testing the vehicle and reviewing it. Going about on some seek and destroy rampage toward Porsche owners over this remark (or any other deficiencies reported on) will not make any of these problems go away. Accept the fact that it's not Porsche owners' problem, nor is it that 100% of the reviewers keep saying the 911 has "soul" and the GTR is lacking. So can you try and deal with these realities with a bit more grace and dignity please. Behaving the way you are, you are giving all GTR owners a bad name.

Now on to the second place issue. To my understanding the GTR did not line up against the TT or TTS to get its bottom spanked. As this thread's review stated; the Nissan made a claim of a producing a fast 0 to 100 time of 3 seconds amongst other things.... so it evidently thought it held the upper hand against the TTS in a drag else why did Nissan loan the car out for the test. Unfortunately for the GTR the outcome proved otherwise so again, deal with that graceously please. I note there are other GTR owners here that have accepted that without the level of angst and fuss you are putting up.

The other point you made that the TT was the "target" has also fallen foul as a consequence of the TT producing a better time than the TTS. So that blows that argument as well. I spelled that out in detail for you in a previous post...with the official tested times etc. Or did you not read what i posted to you?

Additionally you did not reply to my last question where i asked if it was a crime for someone to call something for what it is?

FWIW, i personally have no issue with the GTR, its soul or, lack of, or the fact it was done in this shootout. But i do take issue with certain owners that behave in an unreasonable and overly protective fashion over logical and proven conclusions.

Last edited by speed21; 06-07-2011 at 04:23 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:55 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
It never ceases to amaze me how much antagonism is on display whenever the GTR Vs. 911TT topic comes up!
I can certainly appreciate brand loyalty... up to a point.
I have almost always had some kind of Porsche in my driveway, yet when it came time for me to buy my TT PDK, I almost bought a GTR instead. What mostly swayed my decision towards the PDK is the local Nissan dealership in Kuwait is notoriously terrible vis-a-vis the GTR.

The fact that Nissan built the GTR with the express purpose of beating the 911 Turbo is tremendous flattery to Porsche!
The fact that Porsche owners, for the most part, harbour such animosity towards the GTR is tremendous flattery to Nissan on a job well done!

I have the opportunity to drive the GTR frequently as a few of my friends have one. I can tell you that I thoroughly enjoy each outing in the GTR.

Both cars are just tremendous cars achieving feats virtually unheard of a few years back.

I will not remark on the "soulless" issue except to say that to me, each car's unique behaviour/character is its soul. It either inspires you, or not, but that is also your own unique reaction. A general consensus on a subjective issue proves nothing.

Having said that though, please carry on as you were:

Last edited by k_ddsl; 06-07-2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:40 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by k_ddsl
It never ceases to amaze me how much antagonism is on display whenever the GTR Vs. 911TT topic comes up!
I can certainly appreciate brand loyalty... up to a point.
I have almost always had some kind of Porsche in my driveway, yet when it came time for me to buy my TT PDK, I almost bought a GTR instead. What mostly swayed my decision towards the PDK is the local Nissan dealership in Kuwait is notoriously terrible vis-a-vis the GTR.

The fact that Nissan built the GTR with the express purpose of beating the 911 Turbo is tremendous flattery to Porsche!
The fact that Porsche owners, for the most part, harbour such animosity towards the GTR is tremendous flattery to Nissan on a job well done!

I have the opportunity to drive the GTR frequently as a few of my friends have one. I can tell you that I thoroughly enjoy each outing in the GTR.

Both cars are just tremendous cars achieving feats virtually unheard of a few years back.

I will not remark on the "soulless" issue except to say that to me, each car's unique behaviour/character is its soul. It either inspires you, or not, but that is also your own unique reaction. A general consensus on a subjective issue proves nothing.

Having said that though, please carry on as you were:

Karim, Congratulations!.. i believe you have just edged out bob on the picards this time round....although that one of bobs was VERY good. Well done guys...even though it applies to me as well. I can take it though, so don't be shy in finding some more and insert at the appropriate moments please. We need a few circuit breakers! On the GTR i share your sentiments and was also confronted with similar realities when i chose my TT. The day still may well come when my avatar changes brands however you won't find me carrying on like a jilted lover because my car has been shown up by the adjudicators as being lacking here and there against the competition. I believe you've got to appreciate something for what it is...and not get too bogged down on what it isn't.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:05 AM
Originally Posted by speed21
Blowing a gasket over this comment of soul or lack thereof isn't going to resolve the issue for the GTR. These are not my words nor the words of the Porsche community, but the words of 99.99% of motoring journalists, testers, pro drivers...so on, etc. I dismissed your comment that Porsche owners were behind some conspiracy of inflicting this lack of soul tag on the GTR (before it was released) as there were no substantive facts to support what appeared to be an emotive and fanciful claim. And even if you were able to muster a name or two it's irrelevant as the car has been in the market for some time now yet this comment of lack of soul, whether past or present, continues to be reported and is also being directed at the latest iteration. So please direct any personal frustrations toward the independent qualified persons who continue to issue that comment after testing the vehicle and reviewing it. Going about on some seek and destroy rampage toward Porsche owners over this remark (or any other deficiencies reported on) will not make any of these problems go away. Accept the fact that it's not Porsche owners' problem, nor is it that 100% of the reviewers keep saying the 911 has "soul" and the GTR is lacking. So can you try and deal with these realities with a bit more grace and dignity please. Behaving the way you are, you are giving all GTR owners a bad name.

Now on to the second place issue. To my understanding the GTR did not line up against the TT or TTS to get its bottom spanked. As this thread's review stated; the Nissan made a claim of a producing a fast 0 to 100 time of 3 seconds amongst other things.... so it evidently thought it held the upper hand against the TTS in a drag else why did Nissan loan the car out for the test. Unfortunately for the GTR the outcome proved otherwise so again, deal with that graceously please. I note there are other GTR owners here that have accepted that without the level of angst and fuss you are putting up.

The other point you made that the TT was the "target" has also fallen foul as a consequence of the TT producing a better time than the TTS. So that blows that argument as well. I spelled that out in detail for you in a previous post...with the official tested times etc. Or did you not read what i posted to you?

Additionally you did not reply to my last question where i asked if it was a crime for someone to call something for what it is?

FWIW, i personally have no issue with the GTR, its soul or, lack of, or the fact it was done in this shootout. But i do take issue with certain owners that behave in an unreasonable and overly protective fashion over logical and proven conclusions.
You apparently cannot read.

I'm glad that others can.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:24 AM
vrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by johnww
I noticed a similar trend when I ask about trading my 2007 997.1. I can get a new GTR for $15K or a new turbo S for $105K. In these troubled times, that $15K looks somewhat tempting.
However, for the $15K, I now have a corvette/mustang/honda-crowd low priced "bad-boy racer" that most anyone can afford (Whoopie), but for the $105K, I get a real world renown off the charts adult-oriented prestige sports car that bad boy racers just cannot afford which ain't bad for MY long/short term image. Always such tough decisions
wow, there is so much condescension in this post it is almost troubling.

Low priced?
So, almost anyone can afford a $95,000 car?!
Please.
I would be willing to say that 85% of the population of the United States can't afford a $95,000 car.
I guess because you have a Porsche, you are a "real man" racer, not a bad boy.

Oh, and I fixed that second to last sentence for you!

Old 06-07-2011, 07:35 AM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
I must spread some reputation around before giving it to Jaspergtr..

K_ddsl..reps! Good post.

At the end of the day, we buy what we want. I can guarantee that the people engaging in this thread that have a GTR could have bought a PDK if they wanted one.

All I know is that I am highly entertained each and every time a pesky beetle tries to bully my 4,000 lb. seabeast..

Old 06-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Another GT-R v 911 thread...

I see your double face palm and raise you a triple face palm...

Old 06-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wjohnson36
But I tend to see a lot of GTR lovers spending a lot of effort to defend/justify their choice on cars, this thread is a good case in point. Of course, this is a Porsche forum...so I'll concede no real surprise there.
I'd say I see many more Porsche owners defending/justifying their choice of cars in this thread, as seen in the statement below, for example:

Originally Posted by wjohnson36
At the end of the day, one of these is a Nissan, the other isn't. Any car that you have to explain to others as to what it is and why they paid so much for it (WHY is this Nissan NINETY THOUSAND DOLLARS!?!?!) tells you something.
Of course, this is a Porsche forum, which unfortunately now has quite a few poseurs...so I'll concede no real surprise there.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-07-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:44 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thebland
Sure they are close in acceleration and the Porsche is a bit faster but I had an easier time writing a $170K check for my Turbo S than I would if I had to write a $90K check for a Nissan. It's fast, but it's still a Nissan.
Exactly.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:19 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Neil Switzer
I see your double face palm and raise you a triple face palm...

...straight flush, baby

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Latest Turbo S vs GTR track review. Let the yodeling begin..