997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Latest Turbo S vs GTR track review. Let the yodeling begin..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 03:06 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
At the end of the day, everyone has their own reasons for choosing one brand over another. There are some Aston Martin Vantage owners out there that paid TT dollars for a car that doesn't perform as well as a C2, very similar story to 997 (non-Turbo) owners paying much more than a GTR costs for less power. In the case of the Vantage, those owners either love the brand or love the sound. Same thing with Porsche: you love the car, the shape, the sound, the feel, the handling...so it's worth it to spend more.

I tend to like to think that the 'Porsche Experience' is a deeper connection with the car and heritage than with the GTR. I get that the GTR has a heritage, but like I mentioned earlier: I grew up in a Porsche family so that's where my heart lies.

Having driven a GTR a few times, I will tell you that there was a slight temptation to go that way. But I knew that every time I saw a 911, I'd be wanting. That's not a good feeling after spending that amount of $$$ on anything. Other people go the other way with the same decision.

As for my comments about maintenance, etc: I've known 2 people that were really blown away by the maintenance costs for their GTRs. Not only was the insurance considerably higher than a 997 (C2S, not TT), but they also regularly seemed to be shelling out $500-$1000 for maintenance (oil changes, transmission fluid changes). One of them had the absolute belief that Nissan was able to sell the GTR for the 'low' price because they subsidized the price of the car with the maintenance on the back-end. It actually made sense when we talked about it. Since I didn't own it or experience the costs myself, I can't verify. But he did seem to be at the dealer rather often. I've had 4 Porsches now, and know my dealership well, but not because I've been in there all the time for maintenance.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:39 PM
heacuva is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TwinTurboM3
There is a garage here, run by Whiteknight. He is good at 997TTs.

Was there this week, and saw a GTR, which has a AMS engine/AMS turbo kit.....

Color: pearl white GTR. Was just next to a black 997 TT. Yes a white GTR next to a black 997TT.

GTR looks WIDER, BIGGER, LONGER, HIGHER, TALLLER compared to 997 TT.

Even if it is 2500 hp and much faster than a 997 TT, it does look ugly. Its like a modified Evo 10.

GTR's roof curves are weird, where the roof and side windows meet seem weird.

Interior is leather and plastic. The stereo *****, AC ***** are like Toyota *****.

Even if GTR beats 997TT at the track or straightline, does not matter. 997 TT has a sexier look, better interior quality, and its a Porsche.

the engine & turbo kit are both made in Boost Logic with a custom sized turbo set.

regards

caglar

Old 06-07-2011, 04:47 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wjohnson36
At the end of the day, everyone has their own reasons for choosing one brand over another. There are some Aston Martin Vantage owners out there that paid TT dollars for a car that doesn't perform as well as a C2, very similar story to 997 (non-Turbo) owners paying much more than a GTR costs for less power. In the case of the Vantage, those owners either love the brand or love the sound. Same thing with Porsche: you love the car, the shape, the sound, the feel, the handling...so it's worth it to spend more.

I tend to like to think that the 'Porsche Experience' is a deeper connection with the car and heritage than with the GTR. I get that the GTR has a heritage, but like I mentioned earlier: I grew up in a Porsche family so that's where my heart lies.

Having driven a GTR a few times, I will tell you that there was a slight temptation to go that way. But I knew that every time I saw a 911, I'd be wanting. That's not a good feeling after spending that amount of $$$ on anything. Other people go the other way with the same decision.

As for my comments about maintenance, etc: I've known 2 people that were really blown away by the maintenance costs for their GTRs. Not only was the insurance considerably higher than a 997 (C2S, not TT), but they also regularly seemed to be shelling out $500-$1000 for maintenance (oil changes, transmission fluid changes). One of them had the absolute belief that Nissan was able to sell the GTR for the 'low' price because they subsidized the price of the car with the maintenance on the back-end. It actually made sense when we talked about it. Since I didn't own it or experience the costs myself, I can't verify. But he did seem to be at the dealer rather often. I've had 4 Porsches now, and know my dealership well, but not because I've been in there all the time for maintenance.
Love the first 3 paragraphs of this post....

But, regarding dealer maintenance costs (apples to apples), these aren't exactly the numbers I was expecting.

Porsche dealer oil changes range from $139 to $400+ (right here on this forum, I'm not really focusing on the ripoff, but rather the $200 average for Turbos)https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...sche-nj-2.html
GT-R oil changes (for me) $170

(Obviously, anybody concerned with the cost of oil changes might either pay a local shop ($75 for me), or DIY)

Trans fluid, diff fluid approx every 20,000 miles totals around $1600.

I'm not sure what the cost for a 911 Turbo is for 2 years (approx distance the average GT-R owner drives, based on polls on forums - not categorizing everybody), other than oil changes brakes and tires...

Other than that - brakes are brakes ($600 for all 4 pads), tires are tires ($1800 for 4 at tirerack).

I can only imagine there is some kind of maintenance that must be done for the 911 Turbo. So I'll make up an arbitrary number $1k for everything else I didn't think of over two years (feel free to dispute this baseless number). So if the Porsche only costs $1k every two years to maintain, and the GT-R costs $1600, it would take ( @ $600 difference every 2 years) about 166 years to offset.

If the Porsche costs more than $1k (besides tires, brakes and oil) per two years, then I'd say the number of years will exceed 200.

I believe, what happened - is that somebody bought a Nissan, and expected to pay Sentra prices for Porsche Turbo performance. I don't care what kind of car it is... If you can go 0-60 in under 3 secs, that stuff is going to cost money.

(based on a $140 msrp practically no options on the Turbo vs a $90k GT-R premium without its one real option of a rear camera)

Last edited by jaspergtr; 06-07-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:47 PM
TwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud ofTwinTurboM3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by heacuva
the engine & turbo kit are both made in Boost Logic with a custom sized turbo set.

regards

caglar

Çağlar,

Enjoy it in good health.

When your GTR is ready we should meet, Emre can arrange a lunch. Then a roll

Old 06-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
I've owned two 911's, both heavily modded...and I guarantee that each of them, with modifications, cost me significantly more money than the MSRP of your leased 2011 Carrera GTS. Same thing goes for my current Switzer GT-R....and it will be well worth every cent when I get it back home. If looking like a baller mattered to me, I certainly wouldn't use a Porsche to do it with. I'd buy a Gallardo or F430 and actually save money doing it.

My question is; who cares? Why does cost and cachet seem so important to some of you guys? Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't help but infer from your posts that the badge on your car is what your self-esteem revolves around. If that's actually the case, I honestly feel bad for you.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-07-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:36 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future

At the end of the day, one of these is a Nissan, the other isn't. Any car that you have to explain to others as to what it is and why they paid so much for it (WHY is this Nissan NINETY THOUSAND DOLLARS!?!?!) tells you something.
Maybe that was a harsh statement, but I think we all realize it's a reality with this car. The same goes with the $100k+ Corvette ZR1, $100K Ford GT and even a $800K+ PORSCHE hybrid. In the case of the GTR, ZR1 & GT, the price is actually a 'good value', but they still raise questions regarding spending that much on those brands. You also have to be honest that the customer experience at a Nissan, Chevy or Ford dealership doesn't quite stack up to that of Porsche, MB, Aston, etc. Of course, there is an expectation that you should only be at those dealers because you WANT to be

And I have no idea what Porsche is thinking with the 918 Spyder...

If only the GTR was an Infiniti in the US...that might change everyone's perspective about the pricing (mine included) of a Nissan. Of course, I suppose Nissan has sold more 370Zs from the number of potential GTR customers that decided that the GTR was beyond their budget. It could have had the same effect on the G35 Coupe if it had been an Infiniti.

And just so everyone understands my perspective on the badge on the car, check out my sig and you'll see a HYUNDAI in it. As much crap as I might be giving about having to justify a purchase on a mainstream brand, I find myself in the same position from time-to-time explaining why we have a $65K HYUNDAI and not a MB, BMW or Lexus.

I just love my Porsches...and don't mind talking a little smack when the opportunity presents itself

Last edited by dallascajun; 06-07-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:14 PM
LuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud ofLuckyEff has much to be proud of
I dont know these two cars cost pretty much the same here.

Haha some you have deep seated insecurities.

Ballers dont drive porsches, poseurs and enthusiasts do.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
You apparently cannot read.

I'm glad that others can.

You really are in a bad way.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-07-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:21 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
But, but, the Hyundai is your wife's car :-)

Old 06-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by 512bb
But, but, the Hyundai is your wife's car :-)
Minor Detail....it's still the 'family' car that I drive whenever we all go somewhere.

But I give you credit for picking up on that

Old 06-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
You really are in a bad way.
Speed - I removed your picture. I get that you and Jasper don't get along and always seem to go after one another (which is fine up to a point), but posting something like that wasn't appropriate.

Unless we all try and keep the thread out of the trenches, it'll have to be closed. Thank you.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-07-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
^^ Scott. To be honest i really didnt think it was all that bad but if you feel it is offensive then thats cool by me . I was only having a bit of fun with the picards and thought it was appropriate given his evasive reply.

Last edited by speed21; 06-07-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
...straight flush, baby

Sorry Bob, royal flush...

Old 06-07-2011, 09:11 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Neil Switzer
Sorry Bob, royal flush...

LMFAO!!!!

Old 06-08-2011, 01:52 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Both = great cars. GTR = amazing performance for the money. Which is faster, especially through curves - it's down to drivers. Would I have a GTR, no I own a Porsche. Do I like its looks? No. Do I respect its performance, yes. This debate always makes me laugh, the only thing these two cars have in common is similar performance, the rest is like comparing apples and oranges, hang on let me rephrase that; comparing a beautiful apple versus an ugly orange...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Latest Turbo S vs GTR track review. Let the yodeling begin..