997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Latest Turbo S vs GTR track review. Let the yodeling begin..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 03:33 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
I did. In response to the Fifth Gear Video he posted. That makes two obviously biased videos.

LOL....whatever makes you sleep better at night.
Not quite, You need to do some homework. Best Motoring videos are fun to watch but a joke, even the gtr fanboys know this.

You could also use a little research on the tires. There is a reason the dunlops are standard on the gtr now.

Last edited by heavychevy; 06-09-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Not quite, You need to do some homework. Best Motoring videos are fun to watch but a joke, even the gtr fanboys know this.
Exactly my point. The Fiith Gear video was ridiculously biased and for entertainment purposes only (do your homework), and the BM videos are also known to be biased.

You could also use a little research on the tires. There is a reason the dunlops are standard on the gtr now.
Ya, I'm familiar with them (my last GT-R had the Dunlops). Decent for run-flats, but I'll take a quality non run-flat any day. But please continue making excuses if it makes you sleep better at night.

6 to 2.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-09-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:53 PM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
I did. In response to the Fifth Gear Video he posted. That makes two obviously biased videos.

LOL....whatever makes you sleep better at night.
How do you think the Fifth gear video is biased?

Old 06-09-2011, 04:02 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Because how can you really base a performance of a car, with another car in your way?

It was a show. Entertainment. It was designed to showcase both cars. If it designed that way - it is flawed. They both went wide and braked early for a reason... Entertainment. It looks like many here were entertained.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Checkmarks is infamous around these parts
I love GT-R -vs- XXX threads. And Ferrari -vs- XXX threads. Corvette -vs- Viper. I always wind up sitting and reading through good long arguments about this car -vs- that one and so forth.

One argument that I have seen many times is Ferrari owners talk about the nature of their "investments" -vs- the depreciating nature of "lesser" cars. An 08 Z06 may have set its owner back 70k and still be worth 50-55. An 08 Scuderia may have set its owner back 400k and those very-noble Ferrari dealers are probably offering 160k in trade (I've never had a Scud). The nearest Porsche dealer has repeatedly told me that P-cars hold their value better than anything, yet they seem to sell for a great deal less than MSRP after a couple of years. The GT-Rs have held value probably even better than the Vettes (but one would have to adjust for discount/premium to MSRP in the selling years).

Arguing that more-exotic cars hold value better than lesser ones is usually plain silly. It may be true for the second owner, but probably rarely for the first.

And now to the most important point (to me, I don't suggest that anybody else should care):

I have had a few C6's, I have one currently, I've had a few Porsches, I have a couple exotics right now, I wouldn't mind having a GT-R at all, I wouldn't mind having a Turbo-S but I'd probably wait for them to sell for $120k and I'd still be tempted to get a GT-2 instead, and I probably wouldn't care one bit if somebody was faster than me whilst driving my GT-2 any more than the driver of a Ferrari 365 GTB cares if some other car is faster...

But right now folks, to me, in my view, from my spot on the bleachers, there's only one car that really worth getting all worked up about.

MP4-12C

Old 06-09-2011, 04:16 PM
TXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really niceTXTurbo is just really nice
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Because how can you really base a performance of a car, with another car in your way?

It was a show. Entertainment. It was designed to showcase both cars. If it designed that way - it is flawed. They both went wide and braked early for a reason... Entertainment. It looks like many here were entertained.
Yes you can judge the performance of a car in a race. It was not a timed test, it was a race between cars.

Every race is entertainment. Does that make the outcome automatically flawed?

Old 06-09-2011, 05:06 PM
yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !yllwturbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thebland
Road and Track timed th Buggati and Turbo S at 2.6 seconds to 60 MPH... A tie. That said any Porsche owner that claims equality over the Buggati because of that stat would get laughed at by the Buggati owner. The Buggati is by far the more Desired car (money no object). With the GTR comparisons here, the Porsche owners are now the ones laughing. GTWHAT?
+1 u r on the money $$$$$$$$$$$!!!!

Old 06-09-2011, 05:10 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TXTurbo
Yes you can judge the performance of a car in a race. It was not a timed test, it was a race between cars.

This is true... a race is different from a time trial. If you can't pass the car in front of you, then you finish behind him period.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !

If we're going to use that logic, than we can make the same conclusion about the Best Motoring video. It was also not a timed test. It was a race between multiple cars, therefore it mustn't be biased or flawed. Since the GT-R started in last place at a much greater disadvantage, and still ended up taking first, it's an even more impressive showing for the GT-R.

What we have here gentlemen, is hypocrisy and rationalization. To some of you, any test where the GT-R wins must be flawed or biased. However, any test where the Porsche wins, is honest and accurate.

If the GT-R wins, it's because it's crappy run-flats are all of the sudden superior to the tires on the Turbo S, or because it has a higher spring rate, or because it's somehow easier to drive (even though both cars have the exact same type of driver's aids and dual-clutch transmissions).

If the facts that the GT-R weighs 330 lbs more or costs half as much as the Turbo S are brought into the discussion, they're considered excuses. The next ploy is to try and justify the Porsche by claiming it's a better car because it's a Porsche. That the Nissan, even while able to outperform the TTS in what Porsche itself deems most important (road-course), is still just a Nissan.

The only facts that matter, as they pertain to this discussion, are as follow:

-The TTS seems to be consistently faster than the Nissan is in a straight line.
-The TTS has lost 6 out of 8 road-course comparisons to the Nissan.
-The majority (if not all) of the excuses posted in the thread are from Porsche guys trying to rationalize the TTS's inferiority to the GT-R during road course comparisons.

Enjoy the rest of discussion, guys. Since no amount of arguing is going to change any of the facts that I listed above, I'm out.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-10-2011 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:18 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Exactly my point. The Fiith Gear video was ridiculously biased and for entertainment purposes only (do your homework), and the BM videos are also known to be biased.

Ya, I'm familiar with them (my last GT-R had the Dunlops). Decent for run-flats, but I'll take a quality non run-flat any day. But please continue making excuses if it makes you sleep better at night.

6 to 2.
Anyone who's paid attention knows that fifth gear is far more fair than anything best Motoring has put out. I'm sure you think the episode with the gtr beating up on the gt2 rs made some sense too huh?.

You also apparently don't know about the dunlops as they have matches r888 on track in back to back testing by pro drivers on multiple occasions.

so yeah i would say pretty decent for a runflat.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-10-2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Tacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these parts
Yea yea yea..

In a real head to head, same track, same time test the GTR can't beat the Turbo S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmL99lHyqc0
I agree, put Walter or Patrick in the Turbo S and anybody else in the "SKYLINE" and see what happens; around any track as far ad I'm concerned.

Can't help it but most of us here are Porsche Biased. Thought the Nissan is nothing to shake a stick at.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:22 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
I agree, put Walter or Patrick in the Turbo S and anybody else in the "SKYLINE" and see what happens; around any track as far ad I'm concerned.

Can't help it but most of us here are Porsche Biased. Thought the Nissan is nothing to shake a stick at.
Orrrrrr... Put Joe in a Porsche, and Joe in a GT-R...

Old 06-09-2011, 07:32 PM
If we're going to use that logic, than we can make the same conclusion about the Best Motoring video. It was also not a timed test. It was a race between multiple cars, therefore it mustn't be biased or flawed. Since the GT-R started in last place, at a much greater disadvantage, and still ended up taking first, it's an even more impressive showing for the GT-R.

What we have here gentlemen, is hypocrisy and rationalization. To some of you, any test where the GT-R wins must be flawed or biased. However, any test where the Porsche wins, is honest and accurate.

If the GT-R wins, it's because it's crappy run-flats are all of the sudden superior to the tires on the Turbo S, or because it has a higher spring rate, or because it's somehow easier to drive (even though both cars have the exact same type of driver's aids and dual-clutch transmissions).

If the facts that the GT-R weighs 330 lbs more or costs half as much as the Turbo S are brought into the discussion, they're considered excuses. The next ploy is to try and justify the Porsche by claiming it's a better car because it's a Porsche. That the Nissan, even while able to outperform the TTS in what Porsche itself deems most important (road-course), is still just a Nissan.

-The majority (if not all) of the excuses posted in the thread are from Porsche guys trying to rationalize the TTS's inferiority to the GT-R during road course comparisons.

Enjoy the rest of discussion, guys. Since no amount of arguing is going to be change any of the facts that I listed above, I'm out.
Crappy runflats?

GT-R Dunlops = or > R888.

FAIL!

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-10-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:58 PM
If we're going to use that logic, than we can make the same conclusion about the Best Motoring video. It was also not a timed test. It was a race between multiple cars, therefore it mustn't be biased or flawed. Since the GT-R started in last place, at a much greater disadvantage, and still ended up taking first, it's an even more impressive showing for the GT-R.

Enjoy the rest of discussion, guys. Since no amount of arguing is going to be change any of the facts that I listed above, I'm out.

For something to be biased would infer that an outcome would be weighted to favor one over another. In the case of the Fifth gear video I asked why one would be biased over the other. I can't seem to find a reason why one would. Maybe you can explain? Just to be entertaining they let the Porsche win? Why would it not be more entertaining to let them duke it out and see who really can win?

Also since it's consistently mentioned that the Nissan is 1/2 the price of the TT can you please explain why Nissan can't charge twice what they do? Porsche seems to have no issue selling the cars at that price, why can't Nissan if the car is so good? Wouldn't the real benchmark for Nissan be getting TT money for a a comparable vehicle?

By the way is this included in the 6 of 8 dominating wins for the GT-R?

Old 06-09-2011, 11:13 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by thebland
Road and Track timed th Buggati and Turbo S at 2.6 seconds to 60 MPH... A tie. That said any Porsche owner that claims equality over the Buggati because of that stat would get laughed at by the Buggati owner. The Buggati is by far the more Desired car (money no object). With the GTR comparisons here, the Porsche owners are now the ones laughing. GTWHAT?
Great analogy. Right on target. Explains instantly why the Turbo S exists in another league up from the GTR.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Latest Turbo S vs GTR track review. Let the yodeling begin..