997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Intercoolers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 03:17 AM
DaBrat is infamous around these parts
Intercoolers

When do you need to upgrade intercoolers?
Would I get benefits from an upgraded intercooler without a turbo upgrade?

Old 06-05-2011, 03:58 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Check this thread out. Excellent information about I/Cs...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...r-upgrade.html

Old 06-05-2011, 04:16 AM
Yeah, that's a great thread (thanks!), but the info is just way over my head!!!
I know cooler IAT is good. However, too large an intercooler may cause a decrease in hp. How then can I find the perfect balance? For argument sake, if I run the car 100% stock vs. just an IC upgrade, can we say that it's an improvement over stock? Or, is an IC upgrade only necessary when done in conjunction with (1) an ECU flash and/or (2) bigger turbos?

So far, I've installed the Akrapovic muffler and 200 cpsi sport cats. Looking to phase 2 of my mods, which will be air intake - airbox, y-pipe and plenum. Not sure if ICs should be part of my phase 2 mod list. Any upside / downside to installing either of the following ICs (Champion / AWE / TPC) to my planned phase 2 setup?

Finally anyone know what ECU flash will accommodate an IC upgrade?

Thanks so much!

Old 06-05-2011, 04:56 AM
Slate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant future
I will say it really depends on how far you want to take your car as far as performance goes. As a rule of thumb software and exhaust will give you the best bang for your money, I will skip the ICs until you get those two done, as far as "air box,y-pipe and plenum I will skip those as well unless you are going to bigger VTGs allowing them to breathe better @ the end is up to you, just my 2 cents

Old 06-05-2011, 06:37 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
I would agree with Slate997TT about the other components you are proposing. AirBox is not necessary. A simple BMC drop-in filter is more than adequate, and, in fact, a must.

The next step is a tune. Many to chose from, most quite good. There are several threads about this that you can search through.

Intercoolers do not need a specific ECU tune to reap their benefits, although, a tune can be "optimized" to take the "most" advantage of the lowered IATs.

From the pic you have, I see a 997.2TT. Is it manual or PDK because it makes a big difference on how far you can go with your upgrades.

Bigger turbos are out the window for a PDK car until a credible and tested PDK upgrade solution hits the market. Champion are very close to releasing their kit for the PDK upgrade but until its is truly tested, used and abused, we won't know how much it will hold. They are talking about 620awhp which would then give you the opportunity to go down the upgraded VTGs road.

Again, for now, the really essential next step for you would be a BMC filter and a good solid ECU tune.
I/Cs if you are in hotter climates or you do back to back runs or you track the car.

After that, nothing else. Sit tight and wait for developments on the PDK, unless of course you have a manual...

Hope this helps.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:56 AM
Very happy I got the manual Turbo! Ok, I guess I gotta consider the bigger turbos. The reason I have put off the turbo upgrade is I really don't know what I'd do with more power. Or would you guys suggest I pack on more power? My car is primarily a street car which will never see the track. My target is to improve the handling and overall efficiency of the car. Therefore, I thought the intake will help the car breathe better.

Thank you all for the comments. It is very very informative and very helpful.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:06 AM
Good for you on the manual tranny!

For improving the car's handling, this system would be my first choice.
http://www.tpcracing.com/products/99...us-Suspension/
It gives you far better handling and allows you to retain your PASM functionality.

As far as bigger turbos, please wait, even if you have the manual tranny.

The verdict is still out on how much power the new DFI engine will handle without strengthening the internals before you run into some serious damage.

I would still stick to my recommendations for now:
1- BMC filter
2- Good solid tune

Your car will be utterly transformed with the above.

By the time you feel the need for more power, much more information will be available from the tuners working on the bigger packages.

Take into account that with the bigger power, you will also need a clutch and pressure plate upgrade.

I know Champion, again, are pioneering a lot of work on the new DFI engine's internals, fuel system, etc.. They have a great thread about it if you search.

So go to stage 2, exhaust, filter and tune, enjoy it, and when the time comes for more, we would all have much more information I believe.

BTW, there's no such thing as too much power!

Old 06-05-2011, 07:48 AM
Thanks k_ddsl!

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for also recommending the suspension. TPC looks like an excellent setup and one that was on the top of my list. However, I ended up getting the TechART VarioPlus which is a Bilstein that is also PASM compatible. I also got H&R anti-sway bars. All very very necessary mods that fixed the very terrible and very embarrassing stock 997 Turbo setup. Transformed my car to a real sports car!!!

Now I gotta do some research on ECU flashes.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Alcyon has a spectacular aura aboutAlcyon has a spectacular aura about
your 997.2 Turbo has already better intercoolers than the first generation so they are good enough to be replaced.
Imho improve other components instead

Old 06-05-2011, 01:09 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alcyon
your 997.2 Turbo has already better intercoolers than the first generation so they are good enough to be replaced.
Imho improve other components instead
yep! OP the ICs under your bumper have already outperformed many aftermarket coolers up to the 700+ hp level. Focus on other mods...

Old 06-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Alcyon has a spectacular aura aboutAlcyon has a spectacular aura about
Earl3 is the cool man, search for his posts about it

Old 06-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
Originally Posted by DaBrat
When do you need to upgrade intercoolers?
Would I get benefits from an upgraded intercooler without a turbo upgrade?

Again - You may want to look up Tom at Champion. They have a very well performing intercooler.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:13 PM
I guess the unanimous consensus is that I keep the stock intercoolers. Thank you all for your help!