997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

mmmmmmm...bigger turbos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:01 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Arone997tt
I know, I really need to get them...I have only been thru 1 tank of gas this entire season so far...but things are coming back to normal now so i should have so time very soon , from the but dyno I think the numbers posted are right on. 68mm's hit so hard my 2nd gears pulls equally as hard as 1st
How is the lag and boost response compared to stock? I recall that someone in the middle east did 5.5s 60-130 with racegas and these turbos. If you are able to please see what you can do on pump gas.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:13 AM
Arone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud ofArone997tt has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by The Bogg
How is the lag and boost response compared to stock? I recall that someone in the middle east did 5.5s 60-130 with racegas and these turbos. If you are able to please see what you can do on pump gas.
Lag is same as stock, boost response is epic ...that's what i was referring to the 5.5...i have pump fuel right now so will def get # for you

Old 06-18-2011, 11:41 PM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
Congrats Asher! Enjoy the kick in the pants when these babies hit!
Upgraded VTGs are the way to go IMHO as the install is clean and easy and you don't have to mess around with changing all the plumbing.

Good job bro.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:59 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Thanks Karim. I'm looking forward to it. I just put the Proto tune back on yesterday. All I can say is "wow". I've been driving stock tune (and enjoying it) for the last couple of months while the CEL issue had been getting resolved. I datalogged and pboxed stock and now will do the same for Proto tune. Just a quick run last night showed a significant drop in 30-90mph time!!!! I'll post all the data once it's been acquired.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:16 AM
ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !ysfg35 Is a GOD !
congrats ...

Old 07-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Car goes in on Monday for upgraded turbo install and hopefully out on Tuesday. Then I'll get some updated performance numbers...

Old 07-12-2011, 08:29 PM
Got the car back today with bigger turbos and cat-delete pipes put on. I think the job took less time than expected but surprisingly (not!) I wasn't offered a discount. No biggie, 800 bucks was about what I expected to pay. But the shop did order all new gaskets and studs and bolts and it was a shocker that they came to 150 bucks additional!! I didn't complain b/c I'm happy to get new hardware.

The first impression was a bit puzzling but it was 90 degrees or more outside and I did have the a/c on. I already had the Proto tune on the car and Todd said the same tune is used for the upgraded vtgs. I was surprised that the pedal feel was quite different. It was much smoother and not twitchy at all. Just like stock, lol. With just the tune I thought the throttle response in stock mode was midway between regular stock and sport mode. With just the tune and sport mode the throttle response was a bit more twitchy than with stock sport mode. With the upgraded turbos the stock response had what seemed like a bit of throttle lag compared to just the Proto tune. Again, since it was so hot today I didn't make too many judgments. However, when I put it in sport mode, turned off the a/c and nailed it I definitely had a "f%ck yeah, that's da stuff" moment. Now THIS is how the car should have come from the factory, lol. It's so smooth even in traffic with sport mode on that I could easily and happily leave it in sport mode all the time...and I might just do that! I'll try and get some data in the next day or 2...

As far as the cat-delete goes, surprisingly there's less "thunder" from the AWE exhaust. But you definitely hear a LOT more whirring and hissing from the turbos. I'm not sure if I love it yet but I'll give it some time.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:51 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Got the car back today with bigger turbos and cat-delete pipes put on. I think the job took less time than expected but surprisingly (not!) I wasn't offered a discount. No biggie, 800 bucks was about what I expected to pay. But the shop did order all new gaskets and studs and bolts and it was a shocker that they came to 150 bucks additional!! I didn't complain b/c I'm happy to get new hardware.

The first impression was a bit puzzling but it was 90 degrees or more outside and I did have the a/c on. I already had the Proto tune on the car and Todd said the same tune is used for the upgraded vtgs. I was surprised that the pedal feel was quite different. It was much smoother and not twitchy at all. Just like stock, lol. With just the tune I thought the throttle response in stock mode was midway between regular stock and sport mode. With just the tune and sport mode the throttle response was a bit more twitchy than with stock sport mode. With the upgraded turbos the stock response had what seemed like a bit of throttle lag compared to just the Proto tune. Again, since it was so hot today I didn't make too many judgments. However, when I put it in sport mode, turned off the a/c and nailed it I definitely had a "f%ck yeah, that's da stuff" moment. Now THIS is how the car should have come from the factory, lol. It's so smooth even in traffic with sport mode on that I could easily and happily leave it in sport mode all the time...and I might just do that! I'll try and get some data in the next day or 2...

As far as the cat-delete goes, surprisingly there's less "thunder" from the AWE exhaust. But you definitely hear a LOT more whirring and hissing from the turbos. I'm not sure if I love it yet but I'll give it some time.
Nice description. As I was reading it, I was thinking "uh oh"...but you suprised us all with the 'f-yeah' moment. This explains a lot since I don't have the sport mode option and I remember how you and Paul said it was a bit twitchy in sport. I kept thinking--twitchy??? This is smooth as silk!! Looks like you'll be driving in Sport mode all the time--lol. I'm glad you like the upgrade. It really is perfect.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:56 PM
sniperm is infamous around these parts
does Protomotive have a website?

I checked last time and they had nothing ont he website.. how do u know wat stg's?

Old 07-12-2011, 09:02 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sniperm
does Protomotive have a website?

I checked last time and they had nothing ont he website.. how do u know wat stg's?
They have a website but there's not much there so don't let that fool you. Todd Knighton is one of the best tuners out there. Just email or call him.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:50 AM
k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !k_ddsl Is a GOD !
I'm with Dave... At first I thought Oh, NO!

Glad you're enjoying it. More seat time, more info, thorough review please Asher!
Congrats and enjoy it in the best of health.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:35 AM
lol, sorry guys. Today was a different day. In non-sport mode the car pulls earlier and stronger than stock and with Proto tune alone. The response is very linear and almost feels like a NA car with the very linear acceleration. It was nice and cool this morning. I did pbox a bit and the results were okay but I didn't get a great launch due to not giving enough time for the boost to build and forgetting to close the window. No biggie, I'll do it again. The butt dyno is very impressed. I'll try sport mode on the way home from work today.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:55 AM
faiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nice
R u in toronto?

Old 07-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by faiz
R u in toronto?
yes I am

Old 07-13-2011, 03:11 PM
I took my buddy who has a stock 997tt for a short drive. He was blown away by the increase in power and the great sound compared to the stock car. For those of you with a Proto tune already, the upgraded vtgs should be on your list of things to do. It's relatively cheap for what you get especially if you already have a stronger clutch. Just need the 997.2tt i/cs with these turbos and you're set! I'm talking to you Paul, lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: mmmmmmm...bigger turbos