997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

mmmmmmm...bigger turbos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 11:29 PM
Banned
Shadowman30 is infamous around these parts
Try couple of things before u test the car again

1- take the car up to 270-280kmh so the ecu relearn
2- disconnect the battery for 20min

U will get max performance and u should feel the difference.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:32 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
With the upgraded turbos the stock response had what seemed like a bit of throttle lag compared to just the Proto tune. Again, since it was so hot today I didn't make too many judgments. However, when I put it in sport mode, turned off the a/c and nailed it I definitely had a "f%ck yeah, that's da stuff" moment. Now THIS is how the car should have come from the factory, lol. It's so smooth even in traffic with sport mode on that I could easily and happily leave it in sport mode all the time...and I might just do that! I'll try and get some data in the next day or 2...

As far as the cat-delete goes, surprisingly there's less "thunder" from the AWE exhaust. But you definitely hear a LOT more whirring and hissing from the turbos. I'm not sure if I love it yet but I'll give it some time.
If the throttle response has now dulled slightly in normal mode then that needs reinstating with a re-map imo. By rights, a 100% successful mod should deliver an overall enhancement on all fronts without compromising such things as pedal feel or sensitivity. The smoother (im assuming less immediate from prior) throttle response you reportedly now have in Sports C again indicts the previous edginess/sensitivity has been adversely altered as a consequence of changing the turbos. So whilst the butt dyno feels an improvement in power the pedal feel has lost its eagerness as such? Desirably the pedal feel/sensitivity would remain same or, be sharper...more instant. Smoothness and linearity was always a key feature of the stock tune and part and parcel of a well sorted AM tune. Todd said he was able to alter the throttle response and pedal sensitivity in either mode to ones liking so maybe get that looked at eh?

Originally Posted by TTdude
Nice description. As I was reading it, I was thinking "uh oh"...but you suprised us all with the 'f-yeah' moment. This explains a lot since I don't have the sport mode option and I remember how you and Paul said it was a bit twitchy in sport. I kept thinking--twitchy??? This is smooth as silk!! Looks like you'll be driving in Sport mode all the time--lol. I'm glad you like the upgrade. It really is perfect.
Dave re the twitchy: Doesn't really change the SC/normal functionality in so far as the pedal is always edgier in SC than normal (as per Porsche's design) so if Todd re sets the pedal feel function those differences can be maintained or re-instated if one chooses. I'm sure the new turbos change the feel of the engine in a better way (if thats possible) but it's nice to have immediacy and, if in SC mode, if desired, have an even more edgier pedal feel too.

Originally Posted by TTdude

Todd Knighton is one of the best tuners out there. Just email or call him.
Agree totally...but how many times?

I took my buddy who has a stock 997tt for a short drive. He was blown away by the increase in power and the great sound compared to the stock car. For those of you with a Proto tune already, the upgraded vtgs should be on your list of things to do. It's relatively cheap for what you get especially if you already have a stronger clutch. Just need the 997.2tt i/cs with these turbos and you're set! I'm talking to you Paul, lol.
Yeh lol Asher but I'm still trying to find out how much $ so I guess at this rate it'll be 991tt by look of it.

Originally Posted by Shadowman30

Not a bad suggestion. Maybe a reset will re instate the throttle feel.

Last edited by speed21; 07-15-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Banned
It will speed21

We ALWAYS do that on reflashed, modded vtgs, a30/gt30 cars

Old 07-15-2011, 12:39 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
It will speed21

We ALWAYS do that on reflashed, modded vtgs, a30/gt30 cars
Then if i were Mr Boggy i'd be doing that immediately!! You never know it might even make it go a bit better too.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:14 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by speed21
Then if i were Mr Boggy i'd be doing that immediately!! You never know it might even make it go a bit better too.
That will adapt the throttle quicker.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:19 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !

If I go up to 270-280km/hr then I'll be the one to relearn - to not bend over to pick up the soap in jail.

They did disconnect the battery as per their usual practice.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:25 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
If the throttle response has now dulled slightly in normal mode then that needs reinstating with a re-map imo. By rights, a 100% successful mod should deliver an overall enhancement on all fronts without compromising such things as pedal feel or sensitivity. The smoother (im assuming less immediate from prior) throttle response you reportedly now have in Sports C again indicts the previous edginess/sensitivity has been adversely altered as a consequence of changing the turbos. So whilst the butt dyno feels an improvement in power the pedal feel has lost its eagerness as such? Desirably the pedal feel/sensitivity would remain same or, be sharper...more instant. Smoothness and linearity was always a key feature of the stock tune and part and parcel of a well sorted AM tune. Todd said he was able to alter the throttle response and pedal sensitivity in either mode to ones liking so maybe get that looked at eh?

Yeh lol Asher but I'm still trying to find out how much $ so I guess at this rate it'll be 991tt by look of it.
Paul, let me clarify. I PREFER it the way it is now. I didn't think it was optimal for my taste with just the tune. I just don't understand why it's different now with the tune and vtgs, I'll ask Todd. The throttle response with just the tune was a little edgy off throttle (when you stop accelerating and just coast).

I had an "off the shelf" tune before meaning that I never datalogged to customize it. I think that may be part of the reason why my times aren't as good as K24s or even Dave's (who has the same turbos). I'll datalog real soon and send it to Todd. It sounds like K24 is really happy with his latest version of the tune so I'll ask for something like that.

Bottom line is that even if nothing could be done about what I'm getting for data times right now I'd be happy with it b/c the throttle response is great and there's excellent thrust with these turbos. I think (and am going on memory) that the torque peak comes a few hundred rpm higher but the boost response comes on quicker and harder.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Banned
Paul, let me clarify. I PREFER it the way it is now. I didn't think it was optimal for my taste with just the tune. I just don't understand why it's different now with the tune and vtgs, I'll ask Todd. The throttle response with just the tune was a little edgy off throttle (when you stop accelerating and just coast).

Bottom line is that even if nothing could be done about what I'm getting for data times right now I'd be happy with it b/c the throttle response is great and there's excellent thrust with these turbos. I think (and am going on memory) that the torque peak comes a few hundred rpm higher but the boost response comes on quicker and harder.
Sounds good! So i take you won't bother playing with the pedal sensitivity in the event you have Todd tweak the tune? I interpreted that you prefered the pedal feel in SC mode so perhaps an alteration to the normal mode is in order? Btw how is the new clutch holding up? Is it holding the additional power with ease? How would you rate the power increase in percentage over what you had?

Old 07-16-2011, 12:24 AM
Banned
If I go up to 270-280km/hr then I'll be the one to relearn - to not bend over to pick up the soap in jail.

They did disconnect the battery as per their usual practice.
aha

try to d/c the battery after several hard rans

Old 07-16-2011, 07:36 PM
Banned
So Boggy i read on the Proto tune thread where you say your turbo's have no extrude's? Extrudes? What is this exactly?
Can you please provide the full details regarding exactly what has been done to these new turbo units of yours that makes them better than the stock units? And, are yours the same as Dave's/Milou's, and if not where are the exact differences? Also what does one expect in terms of performance between the differences....if any? TIA.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by Addington
I'm jealous, I am getting tired of just having a flash on the car.
What flash do you have? A decent flash and aftermarket exhaust is a significant upgrade over stock. And it should excite you long enough to fill the penny jar for the turbo upgrade.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:43 AM
So Boggy i read on the Proto tune thread where you say your turbo's have no extrude's? Extrudes? What is this exactly?
Can you please provide the full details regarding exactly what has been done to these new turbo units of yours that makes them better than the stock units? And, are yours the same as Dave's/Milou's, and if not where are the exact differences? Also what does one expect in terms of performance between the differences....if any? TIA.
Hi Paul,
the clutch is holding up fine (as expected). It's hard to put a percentage increase on it but from my experience today I'd say that the power in 4th gear doesn't let up all the way to redline. Definitely feels more powerful than just the tune alone. It is hard to compare directly based on just memory but the numbers don't tell the whole story.

My upgraded turbos are the same as Dave's which have a 63.5mm billet compressor wheel with a clipped turbine. Basically, the enlarged inducer increases the air flow while the clipped turbine offers a bit more power higher in the rpm range and theoretically increases the lag a little. Milou has the same turbos with the extrude process done to the hot side. The difference is that it holds the power higher into the rpm range if you look at the dyno graphs (I can't remember where I saw them). Iirc, the extrude process was good for about 0.3-0.5s reduction in 100-200km/hr time, and will lighten the wallet by an additional 1700 bucks or so.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:41 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
Extrude honing is the process which Air Flow is increased by smoothing the metal surfaces or reshaping surfaces reducing air turbulence.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:24 AM
Banned
My upgraded turbos are the same as Dave's which have a 63.5mm billet compressor wheel with a clipped turbine. Basically, the enlarged inducer increases the air flow while the clipped turbine offers a bit more power higher in the rpm range and theoretically increases the lag a little. Milou has the same turbos with the extrude process done to the hot side. The difference is that it holds the power higher into the rpm range if you look at the dyno graphs (I can't remember where I saw them). Iirc, the extrude process was good for about 0.3-0.5s reduction in 100-200km/hr time, and will lighten the wallet by an additional 1700 bucks or so.
I figured the extrude had something to do with enlarging the exhaust passage of the turbo but wanted to know if the enlarging entailed a new casting or if it was a porting/polishing process on the existing casting. You mentioned the theoretical increase in lag....which is generally a bi-product of using a larger turbo, hence that change in throttle response you reported.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:55 AM
After living with it for a week Paul I'd have to say there is less lag now than with just the tune. The throttle response is very smooth and less twitchy and I prefer it this way. Just waiting for an updated tune from Todd.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: mmmmmmm...bigger turbos