997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

mmmmmmm...bigger turbos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:01 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
After living with it for a week Paul I'd have to say there is less lag now than with just the tune. The throttle response is very smooth and less twitchy and I prefer it this way. Just waiting for an updated tune from Todd.
Sounds promising. Less lag is always a good thing. You mean less twitchy in SC though? Normal is not twitchy at all. So the data log showed room for improvement eh? And I'm guessing you're able to get hold of Todd?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:08 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Normal was twitchy compared to stock, but mainly on off-throttle after accelerating. Just me being picky. Much more twitchy in SC mode. But right now it's perfect imho.

My boost is limited to 1.4bar instead of 1.55bar which these turbos can handle. I presume that was programmed into the tune (which is the same one I used with my stock vtgs) so there should be room to improve. Just waiting to hear back from Todd (cue the tumbleweed sound, as you know lol).

Old 07-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Normal was twitchy compared to stock, but mainly on off-throttle after accelerating. Just me being picky. Much more twitchy in SC mode. But right now it's perfect imho.

My boost is limited to 1.4bar instead of 1.55bar which these turbos can handle. I presume that was programmed into the tune (which is the same one I used with my stock vtgs) so there should be room to improve. Just waiting to hear back from Todd (cue the tumbleweed sound, as you know lol).
Yes.........that is if you do hear back.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:06 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Hey Paul,
I did hear back and got a new version of the tune. All I can say is wowsa! I've posted the times in my other thread comparing stock numbers with tune numbers and upgraded turbo numbers. The way the car pulls from 4k rpm up is truly impressive. Drive it in traffic and it feels like stock. I love it! You would too. I could and might leave the car like this. It really is fast enough now. There are many cars here that are way faster but to me this is "fast enough" and anything more is icing on the cake. It'll be a while before I upgrade again if at all...

Old 08-16-2011, 10:36 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Hey Paul,
I did hear back and got a new version of the tune. All I can say is wowsa! I've posted the times in my other thread comparing stock numbers with tune numbers and upgraded turbo numbers. The way the car pulls from 4k rpm up is truly impressive. Drive it in traffic and it feels like stock. I love it! You would too. I could and might leave the car like this. It really is fast enough now. There are many cars here that are way faster but to me this is "fast enough" and anything more is icing on the cake. It'll be a while before I upgrade again if at all...
Hah! Famous last words. This is a great example of working with your tuner to optimize your set-up. It's good to know that I wasn't crazy when I said the tune is silky smooth.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:10 AM
Banned
Hey Paul,
Hehe.. well if only i could get a price. And great to hear your enjoying her boggy! Maybe by the time i get back late oct i can give it all another push. Someones got to be interested in pricing me but so far not..
Anyway worse case scenario.... 991tt will surely do .

Old 09-07-2011, 08:46 PM
I just tried going mafless (by unplugging the maf and plastic tie-wrapping connector to neighbouring pipes) since my tune is able to be used mafless. I think there is a difference but it's not night and day. One thing seems clear - it is smooooooth. The maf version was no slouch and was quite smooth but there was a definite hump around 3.5k rpm where the boost came on. With mafless it's so linear and powerful that you could believe it's naturally aspirated. I'll datalog it when I get a chance. Basic pbox results don't show much difference but since it's not any slower and it is smoother I'll leave it like this for a while.

I may pick up some race gas on Friday while I'm over to the west side of town for other reasons. I'll get some pbox numbers on it.

Summary - this car rocks, I love it! It's lived up to the hype from my adolescent daydreams.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:43 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
I just tried going mafless (by unplugging the maf and plastic tie-wrapping connector to neighbouring pipes) since my tune is able to be used mafless. I think there is a difference but it's not night and day. One thing seems clear - it is smooooooth. The maf version was no slouch and was quite smooth but there was a definite hump around 3.5k rpm where the boost came on. With mafless it's so linear and powerful that you could believe it's naturally aspirated. I'll datalog it when I get a chance. Basic pbox results don't show much difference but since it's not any slower and it is smoother I'll leave it like this for a while.

I may pick up some race gas on Friday while I'm over to the west side of town for other reasons. I'll get some pbox numbers on it.

Summary - this car rocks, I love it! It's lived up to the hype from my adolescent daydreams.
Great to hear Asher! No maf, what's next? You might as well get the fenderwell intakes before winter hits and then...lol.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:30 AM
lol.
Well actually I'm just going to try racegas like you've been suggesting for a long time! I seem to be maxed out at a 6.6s 100-200km/hr time whether I do just 4th gear or 3-4. I'd like to get under 6s for no other reason than pbox envy.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:10 PM
lol.
Well actually I'm just going to try racegas like you've been suggesting for a long time! I seem to be maxed out at a 6.6s 100-200km/hr time whether I do just 4th gear or 3-4. I'd like to get under 6s for no other reason than pbox envy.
MS109 and cooler temps will really help I think.