997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Super sport or PS2s?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 10:15 AM
HpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond repute
Super sport or PS2s?

Time for some tires...Any consensus on here yet with this new tire vs. its predecessor?

Here are my parameters...
1) my P car never sees rain or a track;
2) I could care less about getting more mileage out of the tire as I don't drive it enough to warrant the concern; and
3) Price is not an issue.

With those considerations, any thoughts between the two?
Anyone have enough experience with both to comment?

I had PS2s on my M car and loved them. Tried another tire and hated it..am returning to PS2s for that car.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:59 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
N spec Pilot Sport CUPS.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:10 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
N spec Pilot Sport CUPS.
Certainly satisfies 2 and 3. But until they get up to temp, they're not so great. I goosed it a bit out of a parking lot when the tires were cold and whipped out the tail in the middle of a busy street. While fun, it was not my intention That being said, I'll probably shell out the $$ for them again when these are done.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
Trofeos

Not to get to far off target has anyone had luck acquiring the new Pirelli Trofeos? There are only two authorized outlets, the are less expensive than Corsa systems, and our perform all current Pirellis. The problem is the factory (in Italy) is having problems getting shipments out to their outlets. They are presumably a bit better than Sport Cups, definetely stickier, and warm up quicker than the SC's. I would love to get my hands on some and give um a shot.

Any one tried them yet? The few I have spoke to about them give them a big thumbs up.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:03 PM
mllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant futuremllarson has a brilliant future
PS2's

I was debating between both of those tires as well - and went for the N spec PS2's. My only complaint is the tires showed up with different N spec ratings - N1 for the front and N2 for the rears. I am not sure if that makes a lot of difference...

I have a set of Cups, and R6's, for the track - but love the PS2's for the road!

Old 06-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
I have the Super Sports. I have been a desciple of the PS2's on my current tt and prior. I decided to try the Super Sports when I ordered new wheels from Tire Rack. After speaking with Kyle there and knowing the SS are supposed to replace the PS2 I went for it.
I really like them so far. Quieter than the PS2's, great feeling of security on wet and great handling on dry. Have done some spirited driving, nothing outrageous but so far I am very happy with the decision. I would purchase again. No regrets. I am a Michelin fan and continue to be.
JS

Old 06-19-2011, 02:36 AM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Super sports were supposed to be the new ps3 but they changed the name. Super sport is a better and cheaper tire!!

Old 06-19-2011, 07:52 AM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
I have heard great feedback on the Super Sports as well. I am going to be due for e new set by fall, and will go with them.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:25 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bonehead
Certainly satisfies 2 and 3. But until they get up to temp, they're not so great. I goosed it a bit out of a parking lot when the tires were cold and whipped out the tail in the middle of a busy street. While fun, it was not my intention That being said, I'll probably shell out the $$ for them again when these are done.
How long on the street would you say it takes for them to get up to temp? I've been thinking of getting these when it comes time to replace my RE-11's. The only problem is I drive the car year round - never in the snow but do drive it in the winter. For an extreme summer tire, the RE-11 did surprsingly well in the cold temps this past winter as far as grip.

The RE-11 have been better in every way than the PS2's - except the damn weight. From what I've read I don't think the PSS are a major leap from the PS2. Intersting post on RL the other day with some track comparo between PS2 and PSS. PS2 was faster for this individual.

The funny thing about tire reviews is someone will say "my ___ tire was down to the cords, so I tried tire X - wow, they are so much better!" OF course they're better! Anything round will be better! I have a lot of life left on my RE and have been thinking of removing them now so I can compare honestly, while these are still good. Not sure what to try as i'm not that all excited about the PSS.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:22 AM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by E55AMG
How long on the street would you say it takes for them to get up to temp? I've been thinking of getting these when it comes time to replace my RE-11's. The only problem is I drive the car year round - never in the snow but do drive it in the winter. For an extreme summer tire, the RE-11 did surprsingly well in the cold temps this past winter as far as grip.

The RE-11 have been better in every way than the PS2's - except the damn weight. From what I've read I don't think the PSS are a major leap from the PS2. Intersting post on RL the other day with some track comparo between PS2 and PSS. PS2 was faster for this individual.

The funny thing about tire reviews is someone will say "my ___ tire was down to the cords, so I tried tire X - wow, they are so much better!" OF course they're better! Anything round will be better! I have a lot of life left on my RE and have been thinking of removing them now so I can compare honestly, while these are still good. Not sure what to try as i'm not that all excited about the PSS.
Hard to say how long as it obviously depends a great deal on ambient temps and driving style. Here, the tires are probably up to temp just sitting in my 110 degree garage

Not a very practical tire for most situations, certainly not one for a DD in NY. For me, I drive my car pretty much only on the weekends, so the terrible wear rating isn't a big deal. I live on the 'west' coast, so snow and cold are not an issue. Tires are very 'sticky' and pick up all sorts of road debris/rocks. Let's face it. NY doesn't have the cleanest roads

Old 06-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
I was at the track this weekend and talked with an independent tire guy who was installing his wares onsite and has a great reputation. His advice for me was to stick with the RE-11's and not consider the Super Sports - too much like a GT tire without redeeming track qualities in his opinion. I am going to wait until other track reports come in. Also, my RE-11's were magnificent this weekend - held their own against the GT3's and other racer-racer's. Perhaps the recent suspension upgrades helped!

PS If your car never sees rain or a track, let me know when you want to sell it. Just remember, you won't live forever......go fast in the meantime.