997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

'07 turbo or '09 Carrera S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 07:42 PM
hed
hed is a jewel in the roughhed is a jewel in the roughhed is a jewel in the rough
'07 turbo or '09 Carrera S

Greetings! Looking for some insight. I was in the market for a used AM Vantage and decided to go with a Porsche instead. The car will be a weekend warrior for an old guy. It's never going to be taken to the track. I'm trying to decide between going with a 2007 turbo automatic (yes i know, but auto it is) or go with a 2009 Carrera S PDK. Looking for handling, comfort and throw you back in the seat feel. Looking for a consensus to help guide my decision.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:13 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I believe you'd be happy with either one.

*edit: Turbo.

The only advantage of the C2S would be the PDK...

Why not a .2 Turbo w/PDK? Get everything you want.

Last edited by jaspergtr; 06-23-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:27 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
I would pick a turbo...Can't beat the power and the potential the car has with a little modding! I will say that the car isn't the most comfortable but that's my .02 cents...Some basic suspension upgrades and the car will be perfect!

Old 06-23-2011, 09:00 PM
floridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud of
Turbo, especially if its gonna be ur weekend toy. It will def give u the "throw you back in the seat feel".

Ken

Old 06-23-2011, 09:07 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Can't imagine anyone would choose the C2S with your criteria. I drove '10-11?? C2S's at PSDS. Great, very capable car. But not a 'throw you back into your seat' kind of experience.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
To pick the Carrera over the Turbo; there would have to be some heavily mitigating factors on the Turbo like not great condition, tons of miles, poor interior... basically the car would have to be inferior in all ways over the Carrera.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:02 PM
HpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Vic55
To pick the Carrera over the Turbo; there would have to be some heavily mitigating factors on the Turbo like not great condition, tons of miles, poor interior... basically the car would have to be inferior in all ways over the Carrera.
+1

Old 06-23-2011, 11:10 PM
MarkusB1 is infamous around these parts
got to ask yourself... tail? or no tail?

i'd prefer no tail and pdk myself.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:10 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I'd pick the Turbo but my opinion ought not matter . I have both cars (07 turbo and an 09 PDK car) .

On the Turbo section you will receive opinions that favor the Turbo and in the 997 normally aspirated section you will find a opposite opinion as both groups point to the strengths of one car over the other and pick at the weak points of the other .

The 997S is lighter , more nimble, has a precise throttle , understated and practical .
The Turbo is much faster , more exclusive. more luxurious, has AWD for rain and snow , and offes the last of the Gt1 engine .
Those are just a few positives .

On the negative side .. the Turbo is heavy , lacks the nimbleness , has lag , costs a lot to modify , has an awful power assist clutch , and many c2S owners wil claim its somewhat disconnected as a drivers car .

Butr thhe c2S has negatives too. It may be balanced and practical but it's just not greatness . A Gt3 can beat it on the track and a Turbo will cream it in a straight line contest. It's not as exclusive and there's an extra 100 Hp which the engine doesn't have . So the track enthusiast can drive around in it and lose to an equal level driver in a Gt3 only to head home only to pull beside a turbo to wipe any more doubts about his c2S just not being the number 1 .

Conclusion --Drive BOTH and see which fits your driving needs . If you are like me you might just end up with both and not want to sell either .

Good luck.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:28 AM
handdoc is infamous around these parts
we are all turbo owners...certainly you will get our opinion that the turbo is the way to go

i second bonehead's statement that having driven the c2s w/ pdk on the track there is no doubt that only the turbo hase the "rocket" feel

Old 06-24-2011, 05:49 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I'd pick the Turbo but my opinion ought not matter . I have both cars (07 turbo and an 09 PDK car) .

On the Turbo section you will receive opinions that favor the Turbo and in the 997 normally aspirated section you will find a opposite opinion as both groups point to the strengths of one car over the other and pick at the weak points of the other .

The 997S is lighter , more nimble, has a precise throttle , understated and practical .
The Turbo is much faster , more exclusive. more luxurious, has AWD for rain and snow , and offes the last of the Gt1 engine .
Those are just a few positives .

On the negative side .. the Turbo is heavy , lacks the nimbleness , has lag , costs a lot to modify , has an awful power assist clutch , and many c2S owners wil claim its somewhat disconnected as a drivers car .

Butr thhe c2S has negatives too. It may be balanced and practical but it's just not greatness . A Gt3 can beat it on the track and a Turbo will cream it in a straight line contest. It's not as exclusive and there's an extra 100 Hp which the engine doesn't have . So the track enthusiast can drive around in it and lose to an equal level driver in a Gt3 only to head home only to pull beside a turbo to wipe any more doubts about his c2S just not being the number 1 .

Conclusion --Drive BOTH and see which fits your driving needs . If you are like me you might just end up with both and not want to sell either .

Good luck.
Well, being as he said he wasn't going to the track, and the 07Turbo was going to be an automatic, we could dispense with the track nimbleness portion of the argument, and the Turbo having an awful power assist clutch, etc...

I believe that once that is removed, there is little awe in the C2S w/PDK. I think the C2's greatest asset would be the PDK and that's it. That is exciting in itself (at least it was for me). Other than that, my previous 996 C2 bored the crap out of me, left me wanting. Get the Turbo.

(my $.03)

Old 06-24-2011, 06:26 AM
zweebach is infamous around these parts
I'm not a turbo owner, but I owned a '09 C2S 6spd and now have a GT3. I would however agree with the others that for this application, the turbo is the appropriate choice. The '07 turbo is a nice bargain now. Don't drive a turbo with PDK unless you want to spend the extra money; you'll want it over an auto.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by zweebach
Don't drive a turbo with PDK unless you want to spend the extra money; you'll want it over an auto.
I can't echo this enough.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:45 AM
hed
hed is a jewel in the roughhed is a jewel in the roughhed is a jewel in the rough
Thanks to all who have chimed in, good food for thought. I am denying myself the chance to drive a turbo with PDK as I know I would want it, and then the wife would be mad for spending the extra money. This is the kind of input I was looking for. Much thanks.

Last edited by hed; 06-24-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:32 AM
monsoonmadness is infamous around these parts
turbo all the way..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '07 turbo or '09 Carrera S