997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tip 07 TT (how much power will TRANNY hold)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 03:57 AM
Nico is infamous around these partsNico is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by milou
TCU will offer you*
1) increased rev limiter 7200rpm
2) hold gears longer before it shifts (especially on sport mode)
3) harder up/down shifts on performance driving.

TCU and transmition upgrade go together. There is not a 1% chance that you get a GTturbo kit running on a stock transmition with no issues.

If I was you I would go for the CMS 68mm VTG kit which equals to GT turbo kit in performance but much better overall, together with their transmition upgrade
do you think 63.5mm turbos, intercoolers, exhaust, tcu, and tune will be fine on stock transmission?

Old 06-30-2011, 04:16 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Nico
do you think 63.5mm turbos, intercoolers, exhaust, tcu, and tune will be fine on stock transmission?
No, this is what I currently have, my tarany was slippin as soon as I had the car modded.
With a kit like that you'll be around 600whp and 850Nm.

Anything above exhaust/ECU soon or later you'll have to rebuild the trany.

It's the same with clutch

By the way rebuilded transmition does not mean bulletproof, some people brake it as soon as they get it builded.
If you brake boost the car all the time or time after time then it will brake.

Same with an aftermarket racing spec clutch, if you launch the car all the time then the clutch won't last long, especially at that power level

Old 06-30-2011, 05:19 AM
Nico is infamous around these partsNico is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by milou
No, this is what I currently have, my tarany was slippin as soon as I had the car modded.
With a kit like that you'll be around 600whp and 850Nm.

Anything above exhaust/ECU soon or later you'll have to rebuild the trany.

It's the same with clutch

By the way rebuilded transmition does not mean bulletproof, some people brake it as soon as they get it builded.
If you brake boost the car all the time or time after time then it will brake.

Same with an aftermarket racing spec clutch, if you launch the car all the time then the clutch won't last long, especially at that power level
i c. thanks for the info. i don't doubt that people can break even rebuilt transmissions. i'm not into the whole brake boosting either so when or if i ever get mine built, i don't have to worry about abuse from launching

Old 06-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Motion 35 is a jewel in the roughMotion 35 is a jewel in the roughMotion 35 is a jewel in the roughMotion 35 is a jewel in the rough
break boosting

milou
u mention break boosting on my car when i attempt to breakboost it goes fail safe like the throotle stops.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:58 PM
Motion 35 is a jewel in the roughMotion 35 is a jewel in the roughMotion 35 is a jewel in the roughMotion 35 is a jewel in the rough
So i better get ready for a tranny upgrade

Old 06-30-2011, 10:55 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Motion35,

I never had this problem, when my trany fail it was just slipping so it felt same as when clutch needs to be replaced. The engine was revving but the car was not going as it should.
At the beginning I could notice this when I was in high gear low rpm and full throttle.

Try this, gear on manual, select 3rd or 4th at around 2-3k rpm and full throttle, at around 4000rpm you will feel if the trany is slipin.

What I suspect is that you burned the oil in your transmition due to brake launches, check if the oil smells bad (like burned) then you have no choice but to rebuild your trany.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:10 PM
milou

no u mis understood . my tranny is runnning perfect for i 509whp mild .
what was say when itry to break boost the computer overrides the throotle and cuts throotle the min. step on break. i was just trying to see how to break boost. my tuner said u cant break boost. computer wont let it.

thank you

Old 07-02-2011, 12:29 PM
yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !yalmutawa Is a GOD !
i'd definitely listen to what milou suggesting

Old 07-03-2011, 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by Motion 35
no u mis understood . my tranny is runnning perfect for i 509whp mild .
what was say when itry to break boost the computer overrides the throotle and cuts throotle the min. step on break. i was just trying to see how to break boost. my tuner said u cant break boost. computer wont let it.

thank you
The only time 'I've heard this happening (safe mode) was after severe damage to the trany. Maybe your tuner had it set like this, I don't know.
If you want to check the best way s to look at the transmition oil first. If it smells like burned then you have something to look at it further