997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tip 07 TT (how much power will TRANNY hold)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 09:27 PM
Motion 35 is a jewel in the roughMotion 35 is a jewel in the roughMotion 35 is a jewel in the roughMotion 35 is a jewel in the rough
Tip 07 TT (how much power will TRANNY hold)

I have 07 tt TRIPTRONIC

QUESTION 1 HOW MUCH WILL STOCK TRANNY HOLD. LOOKING 600 TO 650 WHP.
QUESTION 2 IF I HAVE TO REDO TRANNY HOW DO YOU RECOMMENED. AND COST
QUESTION 3 IF YOIU DO UPGRADE TRANNY . DOES IT FEEL LIKE STOCK OR DOES SHIFT HARDER AND DOWNSHIFT HARDER.
REASON I ASK I HAVE A CHALLENGER WITH 1000 WHP AND WHEN I DID THE TRANNY IT BECAME VERY UN PLEASENT TO DRIVE SHIFTS VERY HARD .
NOT LOOKING TO DO THIS TO A PORSCHE

LOOKING FOR OPINIONS AND COMMENTS

Old 06-28-2011, 10:42 PM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Anything above 500-550 whp and then it's about time
Switser, Vivid offer an upgrade
Yes upgrade trany feel better all around

If you're looking to madify your tt more than exhaust/ECU then soon or late you'll need to do the trany

Old 06-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Stock tranny is rated at 700nm max. For further advice contact www.mkb-power.de This company specializes in the upgrade for this tranny. When i made my enquiry last year i was informed the modification will increase its rating from its stock max rating of 700nm to 1300nm max. Shift is unchanged so will remain how it is.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:29 PM
skeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond reputeskeeter has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Motion 35
I have 07 tt TRIPTRONIC

QUESTION 1 HOW MUCH WILL STOCK TRANNY HOLD. LOOKING 600 TO 650 WHP.
QUESTION 2 IF I HAVE TO REDO TRANNY HOW DO YOU RECOMMENED. AND COST
QUESTION 3 IF YOIU DO UPGRADE TRANNY . DOES IT FEEL LIKE STOCK OR DOES SHIFT HARDER AND DOWNSHIFT HARDER.
REASON I ASK I HAVE A CHALLENGER WITH 1000 WHP AND WHEN I DID THE TRANNY IT BECAME VERY UN PLEASENT TO DRIVE SHIFTS VERY HARD .
NOT LOOKING TO DO THIS TO A PORSCHE

LOOKING FOR OPINIONS AND COMMENTS
What tuner are you going to work with? Your tip will hold around 600awhp before you have to upgrade it...If your going to 650awhp+, you'll need to upgrade your tip...I would talk to your tuner and see what he recommends...650awhp is a serious kit...You'll need to get rid of your stock turbos and get gtxx turbos...

Old 06-29-2011, 12:45 AM
milou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond reputemilou has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by skeeter
What tuner are you going to work with? Your tip will hold around 600awhp before you have to upgrade it...If your going to 650awhp+, you'll need to upgrade your tip...I would talk to your tuner and see what he recommends...650awhp is a serious kit...You'll need to get rid of your stock turbos and get gtxx turbos...
Really? I run 640whp on VTGs.
I had problem with clutches slipping at 600whp or less

Old 06-29-2011, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by speed21
Stock tranny is rated at 700nm max. For further advice contact www.mkb-power.de This company specializes in the upgrade for this tranny. When i made my enquiry last year i was informed the modification will increase its rating from its stock max rating of 700nm to 1300nm max. Shift is unchanged so will remain how it is.
This is who did mine but since there are some sponsors here who offer the upgrade I think is better to recommend them

Vivid racing, Switser, and I think CMS offer this upgrade. By the way big difference in gear shifts

Old 06-29-2011, 01:28 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by milou
This is who did mine but since there are some sponsors here who offer the upgrade I think is better to recommend them

Vivid racing, Switser, and I think CMS offer this upgrade. By the way big difference in gear shifts
I would agree it's best to go where it's more convenient to get the modification done, so as the OP is in US there is certainly merit in your suggestion milou . Price pending of course .

Old 06-29-2011, 06:33 AM
Motion 35 is a jewel in the roughMotion 35 is a jewel in the roughMotion 35 is a jewel in the roughMotion 35 is a jewel in the rough
thank you

I m going with the tial 3071 intercooler etc . My tuner is suggesting i only go to 600 max hp wheel. due to max hp tranny
milou said big dif in gear shifts. which way are shifts diff.
im not looking to shift hard im trying for near stock..

ive heard renntech does a modfication to this tranny anyone have any experience with them on porshe tranny.

Last edited by Motion 35; 06-29-2011 at 06:47 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:21 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skeeter
ORLY? We've made 775 AWHP on VTG's and consistently put out cars making 675 AWHP with VTG's....limited only by our software and the stock engine internals.

I m going with the tial 3071 intercooler etc . My tuner is suggesting i only go to 600 max hp wheel. due to max hp tranny

ive heard renntech does a modfication to this tranny anyone have any experience with them on porshe tranny.
Motion....we've done a few 997 Turbo TIP builds over the last couple month. The general concensus here is correct...at about mid-to-high 500's at the wheels, you'll want to get that trans upgraded.

Keep one thing in mind though. Along with the upgraded hardware in the transmission itself, it's equally (if not more) important to get a good TCU software upgrade (transmission control unit). We spent probably 100 hours developing our TCU software with GIAC to insure completely stock-like drivability.

What turbo package are you going with? Depending on your power goals, you may not want a kit based on GT turbos. Why take away your low end power if you can achieve the same power levels with VTG turbos? If you haven't started your project, you owe it to yourself to take a trip over here and see some of the things we have going on and talk about some of our experiences. Between our hardware, our experience, and our un-matched warranty, it's worth the drive over. After all....you're only a few miles away..

Old 06-29-2011, 07:25 AM

After the trany upgrade I noticed big difference in upshifting/downshifting. It also holds gear more after the TCU upgrade.

Soon or later you will need the upgrade at that power level. It also depends on your driving style. If you only drive around (normal driving) you might never need it.
But if you use all 600whp often then your trany will last for a month or less

Old 06-29-2011, 11:32 AM
w00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to behold
I was looking at the 610hp package from FVD.de and i found this

In different Situations with tiptronic cars the maximum power will be 580HP. But the maximum Power of the Engine stays at 610 HP. To protect the transmission the Tiptronic DME will regulate the power to maximum 580 HP.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by w00zy
I was looking at the 610hp package from FVD.de and i found this
So FVD said that whatever your power kit, power will automatically be adjusded from the ECU in order to protect the trany?
If this is what they said they have no idea and you should change tuner

Old 06-30-2011, 12:09 AM
thank you

I thank everyone for there help
I m set om the tialgt3071 .
CHAMPION do you guy offer a tranny upgrade and how much is it . u can pm quate

Old 06-30-2011, 12:11 AM
can a tcu upgrade alone be done and will this help.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:47 AM
TCU will offer you*
1) increased rev limiter 7200rpm
2) hold gears longer before it shifts (especially on sport mode)
3) harder up/down shifts on performance driving.

TCU and transmition upgrade go together. There is not a 1% chance that you get a GTturbo kit running on a stock transmition with no issues.

If I was you I would go for the CMS 68mm VTG kit which equals to GT turbo kit in performance but much better overall, together with their transmition upgrade

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tip 07 TT (how much power will TRANNY hold)