997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Best turbo/motor upgrade on a 60,000 dollar budget

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:36 PM
GAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to behold
I see you're in Macon - hit me up via PM and we can try to get together. I've got a few you can check out from 657WHP to 861WHP. Honestly for "street" you simply do NOT need any more power. Besides if you truly are budgeting 60K you've got the cash to build the motor, so why are you focused on stock internals?

Old 06-30-2011, 01:46 PM
atlboy is infamous around these parts
I see you're in Macon - hit me up via PM and we can try to get together. I've got a few you can check out from 657WHP to 861WHP. Honestly for "street" you simply do NOT need any more power. Besides if you truly are budgeting 60K you've got the cash to build the motor, so why are you focused on stock internals?
Which kits do you have?

Here's the thing, I assumed the cost would be about $60 because I assumed you'd need to build the engine to get high hp.

Then I talked to Tom from champion who said you DO have to build the engine to go over 675-700 wheel hp. Instead of trying to talk me into an engine build he suggested Id be happy with 675.
After that I talked to Dan from vivid who says they've built a 1200hp car that won some race in Russia and did it on a stock engine. So who do I believe??! He also said champion was bankrupt?? Is that true?

Cmon guys...there can't be this much of a gray area...what's the real deal? I want as much power as i can get on a stock engine! I would love to save some money if I can, so leaving the engine stock seems like a smart move, but I don't want to regret it in 6 months.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:04 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
If I had the possibility, I would build the engine rather than squeezing the stock components to their limits..IMO.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:23 PM
GAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to behold

Last edited by GAM3OVR; 10-12-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:51 PM
FadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of light
Just out of curiousity, can VividRacing attest to the fact that they've won a single race in Russia and that Champion is bankrupt?
These sort of affirmations don't just go away...

Old 06-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FadeToBlack
Just out of curiousity, can VividRacing attest to the fact that they've won a single race in Russia and that Champion is bankrupt?
These sort of affirmations don't just go away...

OK guys....I REALLY didn't want to get involved in another conversation like this, but one thing I can absolutely assure you of is that Champion Porsche and Champion Motorsport are NOT bankrupt. Champion Porsche is STILL the world's largest and most successful Porsche dealership and we at Champion Motorsport are doing our best to become the leaders in our industry as well! We do this on a daily basis by focusing on the strengths of our team's talents and our products, and NEVER by belittling those of our competitors. If it is true that these are the things our competitors are saying, then itt's seriously upsetting to me that others stoop to that level.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Dinan///M5 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by atlboy
Which kits do you have?

Here's the thing, I assumed the cost would be about $60 because I assumed you'd need to build the engine to get high hp.

Then I talked to Tom from champion who said you DO have to build the engine to go over 675-700 wheel hp. Instead of trying to talk me into an engine build he suggested Id be happy with 675.
After that I talked to Dan from vivid who says they've built a 1200hp car that won some race in Russia and did it on a stock engine. So who do I believe??! He also said champion was bankrupt?? Is that true?

Cmon guys...there can't be this much of a gray area...what's the real deal? I want as much power as i can get on a stock engine! I would love to save some money if I can, so leaving the engine stock seems like a smart move, but I don't want to regret it in 6 months.

Sure you can make 1200hp on a stock engine. With big turbos, lots of boost and race gas. But the question is, are you going to run that as your street car? And for how long?......this is where tuners like Champion take the conservative approach for reliability, streetability, and longevity. Plus with the warranty they provide that approach seems logical....Thats really the big difference. How much power do you want to make and for how long?.....Plain and simple, if you want big power, build the motor....it will save you a TON of money in the long run. Not to mention the peace of mind knowing you built it right the first time. With a $60k budget, you can afford it.

Saving money is an excellent thing but do you want to take the risk making 900whp on a stock engine? Sure it'll do it, probably even for a good amount of time. Maybe even for as long as you own the car. But then again, maybe it wont......Pull the motor once and be done. Just my 2 cents.

-Matt

Last edited by Dinan///M5; 06-30-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:40 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Imho I would build the motor for anything above 700rwhp.Has there been a few to successfully run 800 or more for a short time?Yes but tbe monetary risk of being left with a pile of junk after a rod lets go is too great imo.Especially when the money you will be using to buy a new core engine could have been used to strengthen the motor in tbe first place.1200 hp of any variety on a stock motor is a pipedream...you can forget that....my 2 cents.
P.s. It will take about 8 months to build and tune one of these big motor builds coreectly when all is said and done so factor that in also when making your decision.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:48 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by atlboy
classic..

for street.. 675 HP should be more than ample.

Last edited by crazycarlitos; 06-30-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:52 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
just to confirm .. someone at vivid racing actually used the words "champion motorsport was bankrupt" ?
please confirm or deny my exact quote. my exact quote.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:02 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
just to confirm .. someone at vivid racing actually used the words "champion motorsport was bankrupt" ?
please confirm or deny my exact quote. my exact quote.

Hey steve. long time no see. come on a Driving Force Club run.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:08 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
Imho I would build the motor for anything above 700rwhp.Has there been a few to successfully run 800 or more for a short time?Yes but tbe monetary risk of being left with a pile of junk after a rod lets go is too great imo.Especially when the money you will be using to buy a new core engine could have been used to strengthen the motor in tbe first place.1200 hp of any variety on a stock motor is a pipedream...you can forget that....my 2 cents.
P.s. It will take about 8 months to build and tune one of these big motor builds coreectly when all is said and done so factor that in also when making your decision.
I had no idea. Good info for the day I win the lottery and decide to build the engine.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:55 PM
jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !
Vivid built a 1200hp stock motor p car that won a race is Russia? I call bs!

Old 06-30-2011, 05:26 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I would go by what Champion tells you, they are a reputable company.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:47 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
i didnt know and never heard of vivids car in russia winning a race ... and 1200 stock block.... news to me...

if you are going to be running alot of power all the time i would build the motor , and take my advice .... keep it simple. (trust me)

i would pick your tuner wisely. call them ask alot of questions and see how you feel more comfortable with.

i would go with tuners that have built cars like this before. Its all about the tuning and the fuel you run !!!! if you have e85 readily available i would deffinately tune for that .

look up keiths white 997 TT in here. absolute monster. e85.

i would call protomotive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best turbo/motor upgrade on a 60,000 dollar budget