997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

AWE Exhaust for 997.2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:18 PM
trice9 is infamous around these partstrice9 is infamous around these parts
AWE Exhaust for 997.2

I recently bought AWE’s exhaust for my 997.2 TT. Previously, I had an Eisenmann exhaust on my M5. I could not be any happier with my decision.

My prior experience (M5) was with an exhaust that sounded great 80% of the time. But there was that 20% when the exhaust was just too loud – whether it was on cold startup trying to sneak out of the neighborhood, at highway speeds when I wanted to be on the phone, etc. So coming into this decision, I was very conscious about not getting an obnoxiously loud exhaust.

My homework was similar to what most people do – read the forums, watch the videos, etc. I then called Mike at AWE and he agreed to meet me after work one day with their car/exhaust. It was late, after hours, and he didn’t need to. We had a drink and some food, and he even picked up the tab. Great guy. We took the car out, at which point my decision was done. This exhaust was exactly what I wanted – a deeper and more exotic sound but nothing obnoxious, not even close. I know there is a belief that all aftermarket exhausts have some drone – maybe, but I can’t tell of one at all. I can cruise at highway speeds with no discernable difference than stock, allowing me to talk on the phone if I need to. But on any acceleration, the exhaust comes to life, and over 4,000rpm, it just screams. I always wished PSE was available on the turbo as I like the idea of a switch for the exhaust. The funny thing is, the AWE exhaust seems to have a built in switch, in the sense it is stock-like at idle or when cruising, but sounds intoxicating on acceleration or high rpms.

In addition to being extremely satisfied with the exhaust, the customer service was nothing like I’ve experienced before. Thanks Mike!

Here are some pictures (the 3rd picture has an extra set of clamps which were removed before installation was complete - they came off the stock exhaust) and I will get a video up shortly.

Attached Images     
Old 07-05-2011, 11:24 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by trice9
I recently bought AWE’s exhaust for my 997.2 TT. Previously, I had an Eisenmann exhaust on my M5. I could not be any happier with my decision.

My prior experience (M5) was with an exhaust that sounded great 80% of the time. But there was that 20% when the exhaust was just too loud – whether it was on cold startup trying to sneak out of the neighborhood, at highway speeds when I wanted to be on the phone, etc. So coming into this decision, I was very conscious about not getting an obnoxiously loud exhaust.

My homework was similar to what most people do – read the forums, watch the videos, etc. I then called Mike at AWE and he agreed to meet me after work one day with their car/exhaust. It was late, after hours, and he didn’t need to. We had a drink and some food, and he even picked up the tab. Great guy. We took the car out, at which point my decision was done. This exhaust was exactly what I wanted – a deeper and more exotic sound but nothing obnoxious, not even close. I know there is a belief that all aftermarket exhausts have some drone – maybe, but I can’t tell of one at all. I can cruise at highway speeds with no discernable difference than stock, allowing me to talk on the phone if I need to. But on any acceleration, the exhaust comes to life, and over 4,000rpm, it just screams. I always wished PSE was available on the turbo as I like the idea of a switch for the exhaust. The funny thing is, the AWE exhaust seems to have a built in switch, in the sense it is stock-like at idle or when cruising, but sounds intoxicating on acceleration or high rpms.

In addition to being extremely satisfied with the exhaust, the customer service was nothing like I’ve experienced before. Thanks Mike!

Here are some pictures (the 3rd picture has an extra set of clamps which were removed before installation was complete - they came off the stock exhaust) and I will get a video up shortly.
Are you saying with the AWE, the cold start is not gross compared to how the exhaust sounds with a warmed up engine. I will have to contact AWE for a cold-start listen. That kind of exhaust i would be interested in. And too, how about the turbo lag, was that reduced on acceleration??

Last edited by johnww; 07-05-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:42 AM
Originally Posted by johnww
Are you saying with the AWE, the cold start is not gross compared to how the exhaust sounds with a warmed up engine. I will have to contact AWE for a cold-start listen. That kind of exhaust i would be interested in. And too, how about the turbo lag, was that reduced on acceleration??
To be clear, the cold start is louder than stock. However, as compared to my last experience with an after-market exhaust (Eisenmann on M5), the AWE exhaust, while louder on cold start than stock, is not gross or obnoxious. And, it only lasts about 30-45 seconds until the engine kicks down, at which point it then is close to stock. And regarding the turbo lag, I have not noticed any reduction, although I've heard and read about it. This exhaust has 200 cell cats and I haven't had any CEL.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Hoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to all
Good choice, I love my awe exhaust. I might be delusional but I think it even sounded better after adding the Evoms turbo S tune. I have a 997.2 TT not an S but was still able to get the S tune.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:31 PM
KJCLKBS is infamous around these parts
johnww,

Where in Fla are you located?

Old 07-06-2011, 04:28 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by KJCLKBS
johnww,

Where in Fla are you located?
0.5K miles N/NW of you....Pensacola...Visit Tampa twice yearly for pool tournaments.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:39 PM
maverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to all
Ditto. I have the AWE Gen 2 for the 997.1 and it too wakes up on acceleration but is docile when cruising.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Sorry it took so long, but was having trouble posting the video, and the good guys at AWE were able to host it for me. As with all videos, they never seem to do the exhaust justice. That is definitely the case here. It's hard to capture the sound with a stationary video camera and it's hard to capture the range of sound based on rpms and accelerations. Anyway, I think you'll get a flavor for the sound, but my real world experience hears even better music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7TABsrkw_Q

Old 07-21-2011, 06:39 PM
jdavis911 is infamous around these parts
Wow that is a great sounding exhaust, the back pressure note when you let off is fantastic.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
i have only had mine for a week - but i am coming from a sport exhaust & the GTS has it stock too - that desription of the AWE is alluring to say the least