997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Rear wheel out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:39 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Yes, Carfax is not too helpful. Sounds like the frame was bent.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:43 AM
jdavis911 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the tips on the car fax, however if no visual signs of damage or repair from a qualified set of eyes where does this leave me now?
Should I still report toe, camber and caster or are we running out of options. An annoyance is now becoming a concern, bent frame etc. I own a dodge dealership however have not had my techs work on the car, if I put the car up on a hoist is there anything I can look for to eliminate the worst case senarios ie. Bent frame etc
Again all the help and input is much appreciated.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:56 AM
03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future
Maybe its just me, but I've encountered this on other vehicles as well. Including cars that were purchased new and had never been in an accident.

Im convinced that, please excuse my improper nomenclature, the eccentrics and hiem joints(what ever is on the end of the a-arms) are set to far out on one side (or to far in on the other). Even though the numbers are within spec, the adjustment points may be off compared to each other.

My simpleton example is a table that rocks. you adjust the feet to stabilize the table, but what usually happens is one sticks out further then the others. in a perfect world, you adjust the other 3 and the 4th winds up close with the others. similar to corner balancing.

I think that over time, when a car is aligned multiple times by multiple people, your base settings wind up off and while you can set camber and toe to be in spec, there winds up being a little difference in where the wheel sits. one additional thought, maybe the body/suspension is off when built, and wheel spacing is set at the factory. Then, over time someone sets the starting points to be equal when in fact they are suppose to be off thus resulting in one wheel sitting further out than the other.

Just a thought

Last edited by 03 996tt; 07-08-2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 07-08-2011, 11:01 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
I would waste no time in getting a qualified body shop with Porsche experience to inspect it. I would also be looking at my options for action if the car was grossly misrepresented by the seller.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:41 PM
slawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond repute
jadavis911 you got pm.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Well had the car in my shop and my techs snooping the car top to bottom and I am 100% we can rule out frame damage or any other form of bent strut, hanger poorly seated shock etc...
I've been studying the alignment report and will post the results for my car and would welcome anyone to chime in to what they see.
Firstly I think it's important to point out that the front driver side is riding an inch higher than the passenger side which is a problem in itself and tomorrow I will adjust the 2 front shocks to level the ride height, I believe they come factory with 20mm of adjustment so that should handle that problem. We are going to play around on the alignment rack after this working on camber and I will post below the settings I am going for, if anyone thinks the settings I'm going for are wrong please post.
My current settings
Front camber left -027
Front camber right -045
Front toe left 003
Front toe right 002

Rear left camber -139
Rear right camber -137
Rear left toe 011
Rear right toe 009

I am looking to set

Front camber -060
Front toe 020
Rear camber -160
Rear toe 030

I really believe the problem with the car lies in this area and if not it's going to auction and I'm buying an 2010 pdk

Thanks for everyone taking the time to help me with this, fantastic forum members.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:27 PM
slawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond repute
here is a very basic chart for 997- from left to right for-- GT3-GT2- TT

Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the help Sal, those numbers look good.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Anyone have any input as to my current alignment settings?

Old 07-09-2011, 11:35 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Before you give up, can you post up pictures of the problem?

bob

Old 07-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Hey Bob,
I would post them up but you can't tell any difference by the pics alone. The bottom of the tires seem to line up on both sides its just the tops on the passenger side that seem to be recesed or the drivers side protruding. Do you think the car being out of level, combined with my alignment specs could be the root of this problem.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Abby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura aboutAbby997TT has a spectacular aura about
I would use a paint thickness gauge to see if there were any paint work done to the car. If non, then check the bolts and nuts on the body panel to see if they have been removed before.
If both answers are no, then you can start to work your way down to the suspension parts.
If there were repainting, the car probably had an accident. I would just get rid of the car and get another one to save all the headaches.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Yes the car has been gone over and there is no paint or body work detected, I am suprised that the mechanics of the group have not chimed in on the alignment specs. I just went to my alignment machine and entered in my car and wholly crap my car is either at the far end of tolerance or not even in spec. Pretty bad as I paid my P store for an alignment and i'm pretty sure they just did a measurement and didn't do any adjustments. We are going to mess with the car on monday correcting the ride height then working on camber and toe, I will report if this fixes the problem or if I now have a properly aligned car and still screwed up stance.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:35 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
First, if the suspension is stock, there is no way to adjust the ride ht on a 997TT. A gt2/3 is a different story.
Your front alignment is a little off, but not drastically. Same for the rear alignment. Certainly not enough to explain your findings.
I think pictures would really help, a protruding wheel is usually not a function of alignment. Keep in mind 911s in general have a lot of negative camber in the rear, so when standing behind the car, it will appear as if the top is angled inboard, etc
GL in any event.
c

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 07-09-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:46 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
OEM springs on all four corners?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel out