997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Rear wheel out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 06:41 PM
slawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond repute
Guys, please correct me if I’m wrong but there is a 5-15 mm. height adjustment in front on 997 tt. One can rise or lower the shock absorber body in the wheel carrier. I.m not saying that this will lower the car ,but perhaps this adjustment can help making a car site to site .even

Attached Images  

Last edited by slawek; 07-09-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:25 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I'm not sure that has any effect on ride ht.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:34 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
The most advanced alignment equipment report wheel distance from the center of the car, track width, distance between axles and distance LF-RR & RF-LR.
You should get these to see if there's a real problem.

At least older Porsches are built so that the beam joining L & R suspension ( both F & R ) has a round bolt hole on other, and an oval bolt hole on the other end ( used to be on the left hand side ) to compensate body's build tolerances. This means by default ( usually body is in it's minimum build width ) that the LH side's wheels are further out than the RH's. 944-derived cars and aircooled 911's up to '88 have this feature, newer cars I have not yet dismantled...

Old 07-10-2011, 10:38 AM
slawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I'm not sure that has any effect on ride ht.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> I think it has, if your front suspension is higher on driver side, you can lift the passenger side to even up the difference and then do the alignment, to me there has to be some reason why Porsche did leave the space on shock for extra adjustment
Most of top quality coiilovers system - OHLINS, JRZ, KW, MOTON, and others do have base height adjustment. .that is after the spring preload setup (equal for all),coilovers are installed on the car and the height is adjust by lowering or raising the coilover body in wheel carrier and not springs like on Bilstein Damptroincks This system allows for perfect height adjustment on cars.
Of course I can be wrong here so please take this just as my personal observation.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:41 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by slawek
Guys, please correct me if I’m wrong but there is a 5-15 mm. height adjustment in front on 997 tt. One can rise or lower the shock absorber body in the wheel carrier. I.m not saying that this will lower the car ,but perhaps this adjustment can help making a car site to site .even
Not familiar with this as a point of ride height adjustment. The only factory adjustment I am aware of are small compensation discs that sit under the springs. Not really used to change ride height but more of a QA tool, I have seen them in 2.5mm and 5mm sizes, on 996s.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Not familiar with this as a point of ride height adjustment. The only factory adjustment I am aware of are small compensation discs that sit under the springs. Not really used to change ride height but more of a QA tool, I have seen them in 2.5mm and 5mm sizes, on 996s.
That's correct but 996 shocks didn't have the adjustment that is on 997 shocks
Doug ,I just exploring the possibility of front suspension adjustment ,that's all.

Last edited by slawek; 07-10-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:32 AM
jouzef is infamous around these parts
++++1

Old 07-11-2011, 12:34 PM
jdavis911 is infamous around these parts
Car is booked in to Porsche again to discuss all of the above, I will post answers as I get them from Porsche. Thanks

Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 AM
dk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to behold
i'm really curious as I have the similar problem on my C4S, ie the passenger side wheel appears to stick out more. Porsche claimed that this was "normal" and the only reason it was detected was because of the wheel spacers that were installed in the back which essentially "magnified" the discrepancy. My suspension installer agreed that in most cars, there is a small difference but he thought mine was a little more pronounced. Then he tried to adjust the "subframe" but that didn't really do much. I've also gone through alignments which hasn't helped. The thrust angle was dead on too.

Now I just don't think about it and enjoy my car.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:51 PM
jdavis911 is infamous around these parts
Got the car back from local suspension shop and go figure drivers rear shock was not seated properly. Shop figures as someone else posted was car had coil overs before I purchased it. So car now sits at proper height and all sides measure to spec( no protruding wheels)
I have installed clear side Lites,led rears and am waiting for my new cargraphic loud exhaust and new tips.
Bad news is car will slip in 6 gear under load any idea how long the clutch will last it does not slip in boost and car will stall on a 4th gear start. I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't install the exhaust if the Clutha is showing signs of weakness and I guess a tune is out of the question unless I re do the clutch to handle the extra hp.
Gotta say I am hooked to this forum and see my car getting modded over time.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:28 AM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Great news... mechanics can be fixed but cosmetics hard to... Glad it was a minor thing...