997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Rear wheel out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:30 PM
jdavis911 is infamous around these parts
Rear wheel out

Hi all, has any one with a 997 TT notice one rear wheel protruding further from the wheel well than the other side. Brought to my local P store and had the car re aligned to make sure and all is within spec. Head mechanic says he has seen it before and not a big deal. My 993 c4 didn't have this issue and seems this would be a factory flaw. Any thoughts to this would help ease my mind, the car drives perfect and handles as expected.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:13 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
are you the original owner? Are the wheels true?

Old 07-05-2011, 09:21 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
sounds like 'not a big deal' is not the answer I would be looking for from a tech. silly question but did you check to see if a spacer is installed?

Old 07-05-2011, 09:23 PM
No, just bought the car but the wheels are fine. The drivers rear wheel protrudes a 1/3 inch further than the passenger side. Had a complete suspension check and alignment done on the car just to make sure. Almost looks like the body of the car was mounted a little more to the right if that makes sense.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:24 PM
No spacers that was the first thought.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:02 PM
AgentSteel is infamous around these parts
Possibly that your wheels are fine and the body panel could be a little warped. History of an accident or cosmetic damage to the body panel? I've read looking into the paint thickness would indicate repair if it was different from factory standard. Hope its not the case, in case the original owner failed to mention that on the sale.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:05 PM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
That would drive me insane. I would take it to another dealership and have them inspect it one more time.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Yep it's driving me a bit batty. Good thought on the body panel being repaired poorly. There was no accident history on the car fax however there looked to be re paint on the lower vent behind the wheel. I will have my buddy's body shop have a closer look at it. Any other thoughts, could this be a factory defect when the body's mounted to the frame. I had the tech check the mounts and all looked in order.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:07 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
doubt any factory flaw of that magnitude.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:04 AM
mathys is just really nicemathys is just really nicemathys is just really nicemathys is just really nicemathys is just really nice
Originally Posted by gmoney
doubt any factory flaw of that magnitude.
+1

Don't think the Porsche production process and quality checks would allow such deficiency.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:02 AM
slawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond reputeslawek has a reputation beyond repute
First I would look in to front and rear side to side height and check it.
Second check sway bars, specialty rear for any stress on sway links.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:02 AM
nyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud ofnyamg has much to be proud of
take it to your buddies shop, he should be able to tell you if its been repaired.
this doesn't sound right.
did you buy the car from the dealer where the tech told you it was normal????

Old 07-06-2011, 10:29 AM
BLAM is infamous around these parts
Is the ride lowered? Any suspension work?

Old 07-06-2011, 10:46 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Please post a photo.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Car was bought from States an I brought to Canada. Dealer was a ****** lied about the quality of the car, However I have repaired most of the issues. Suspension is bang on according to my local dealer and I will have the body shop have a look. I will post pics when I get home tonite to show the variance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel out