997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Proof that manufacturers watch the aftermarket...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Proof that manufacturers watch the aftermarket...

....or that some designs are simply FUNCTIONAL!

Case and point. Glancing around at some pictures of our Werks1 997 Turbo carbon fiber front splitter today I suddenly realized something...it looks VERY much like the front splitter on the new GT2-RS. But ours came out 5 years ago!! Anyone who ever doubted that our Werks1 splitter is functional or not....well, just look at the photos.

Just an interesting photo comparo I put together to show the similarities. I guess there's some designs that are so purely functional they just have to look the same. Ours is carbon though, so it's still cooler...

GT2RS

Werks1 997 Turbo

Side profiles are even SO similar!

Old 07-11-2011, 03:58 PM
GT-Silver is infamous around these partsGT-Silver is infamous around these parts
I think for proof that porsche watches the aftermarket, and in the case of the GT2RS i think porsche looked at the Manthey M600 and how they improved on the gt2. The M600 had the front fender extension, extended lip, extended rear spoiler, better intercoolers, and runs higher boost than normal GT2, lwfw and lighter rims and car overall. Which is the same to what porsche did for the gt2rs, the M600 differs that it runs a cup lsd. Dont get me wrong i really appreciate your work but in whats shown above regarding porsche watched the aftermarket to improve thier cars i.e. the GT2RS, IMO i think they looked at Manthey at the M600.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
Tom

While I agree that they may look similar we both know that there aerodynamic efficiencies are most likely much different not to mention the rear wing which works in conjunction with the front splitter on the GT2RS.

You guys make a nice piece but and we have installed some of your parts over the years.. But..................

Just my humble opinion

Old 07-11-2011, 06:56 PM
L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !
Yes they look very close..yours is much prettier in CF. That being said, I wish yours was available in ABS like the factory. Based on how my stock one looks the CF would be destroyed.. which is the main reason I havent purchased one.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:17 PM
JPanamera is just really niceJPanamera is just really niceJPanamera is just really niceJPanamera is just really niceJPanamera is just really nice
P watches Champion

Old 07-12-2011, 08:02 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fabryce@GMGRacing
Tom

While I agree that they may look similar we both know that there aerodynamic efficiencies are most likely much different not to mention the rear wing which works in conjunction with the front splitter on the GT2RS.

You guys make a nice piece but and we have installed some of your parts over the years.. But..................

Just my humble opinion
ahhh Fabryce...you always have such a way with words.

As I'm sure you're aware, our front splitter is not simply an aesthetic part that we designed purely based on looks. There was considerable time spent insuring that it was also functional. In fact, the initial designs of our front splitter created SO much additional downforce that it upset the overall aero balance of the car. In order to restore the balance, we designed, TESTED, and produce our rear wing and lower rear diffuser, and redesigned the front splitter to be less aggressive. Porsche restored the balance on the GT2RS by making modifications to the rear wing.

Now....we make our parts for street cars, not race cars. So we have to assumed that a customer may buy all 3 parts, but they may also want only the front splitter, or only the rear wing. Because of this, we went back to the drawing board and tailored the design and aerodynamic effects of each part so that they could be used individually, or together as a package, without any ill effects on the car. I'm sure you realize how dangerous it can be to upset the aero balance of a car at high speeds.

As for Porsche paying attention, we did have our name plastered on a few of their race cars for quite a few years, after all. Not to mention having the world's largest dealership. I'm pretty sure if you mention the name Champion to someone over in Stuttgart, they'll know who you're talking about.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:10 AM
Tacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these partsTacet-Conundrum is infamous around these parts
Form follows function, of course. No surprise the Werks1 and Porsche kits are very similar.

An analogy would be the Toyota Prius and Honda Hybrid, look very similar.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:30 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
ooooh I like that rear wing Tom. Looks like the penny jar begins...

Old 07-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I think yours is much better Tom!

Old 07-12-2011, 02:17 PM
1017 is infamous around these parts
This new 991 turbo spy shot seems to hold true to your claims Tom,

I see some resemblance in the new rear wing and the Champion Motorsport wing.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:28 PM
LosPer is a jewel in the roughLosPer is a jewel in the roughLosPer is a jewel in the roughLosPer is a jewel in the rough
I think it looks sweet, but paying for a carbon piece that would likely get destroyed the first time I forget to go slow down or up a ramp would seem a bit silly. My chin guard looks like absolute **** right now...and I'm glad it's only $200 bucks to replace it.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Sanders911 has a reputation beyond reputeSanders911 has a reputation beyond reputeSanders911 has a reputation beyond reputeSanders911 has a reputation beyond reputeSanders911 has a reputation beyond reputeSanders911 has a reputation beyond reputeSanders911 has a reputation beyond reputeSanders911 has a reputation beyond reputeSanders911 has a reputation beyond reputeSanders911 has a reputation beyond reputeSanders911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
ahhh Fabryce...you always have such a way with words.

As I'm sure you're aware, our front splitter is not simply an aesthetic part that we designed purely based on looks. There was considerable time spent insuring that it was also functional. In fact, the initial designs of our front splitter created SO much additional downforce that it upset the overall aero balance of the car. In order to restore the balance, we designed, TESTED, and produce our rear wing and lower rear diffuser, and redesigned the front splitter to be less aggressive. Porsche restored the balance on the GT2RS by making modifications to the rear wing.

Now....we make our parts for street cars, not race cars. So we have to assumed that a customer may buy all 3 parts, but they may also want only the front splitter, or only the rear wing. Because of this, we went back to the drawing board and tailored the design and aerodynamic effects of each part so that they could be used individually, or together as a package, without any ill effects on the car. I'm sure you realize how dangerous it can be to upset the aero balance of a car at high speeds.

As for Porsche paying attention, we did have our name plastered on a few of their race cars for quite a few years, after all. Not to mention having the world's largest dealership. I'm pretty sure if you mention the name Champion to someone over in Stuttgart, they'll know who you're talking about.

Nice stuff Tom!

Old 07-12-2011, 02:50 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Very few after market companies bother (sadly) to do wind tunnel testing. You guys, TechArt and...?

Nice one!

Old 07-21-2011, 12:12 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Tom,
does that rear wing of yours fit onto the stock decklid? Is it sitting on the stock lower "wing" of the biplane spoiler? Does it change height like the stock one or is it fixed?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:20 PM
I just checked the Champion website and the answers were there. And the price - yowza!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Proof that manufacturers watch the aftermarket...