997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Window Tinting Do's and Don't

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 02:46 PM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
Window Tinting Do's and Don't

I'm trying to get the windows tinted of my 997 and was wondering what you guys recommend?

Old 07-12-2011, 03:50 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
The dots on the rear windows are the only real issue with these cars. Just make sure you get some good references on the installer you choose. Ask them what they will do about the dots. Most will make you come back in a few days to rub them out. Do wait more then a fews days. Plus the tint on the front doors should go ALL the way to the edge of the glass on the top.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:32 PM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
function12, thanks so much for the info. I'll ask about the dots. Anyone have any recommendation on the type of material?

Old 07-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sanchezdds
function12, thanks so much for the info. I'll ask about the dots. Anyone have any recommendation on the type of material?

The dots are hard to deal with since they are so close together it's very hard to get the tint to adhere to the glass between them. I've heard of a few places that "shave your dots" but don't know if this has anyother side effects.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:43 PM
MorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really niceMorePSiTehBett4 is just really nice
go to a VERY reputable place, and get their warranty. So if the cali cops get you, they will take off/put back on your tint. I've seen tinters nick doors, buttons, etc. You gotta pay to play.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Have you guys heard of Premier Protective film? These guys have a place in LA and a place in the northern part of Cali. They are charging $500+ for the job. They described the tint as having nano-technology and which blocks 90% of IR. They do high end cars, so I'm not sure if it's the real deal or not.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
My guy just put on 3m's film, no dots. Not sure what grade but it wasnt cheap.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:39 PM
pepper1 is infamous around these parts
The Huber Optik nano ceramic tint is very good and lives up to its reputation of blocking out IR. I have it and glad I do. Would recommend it highly.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Devils Advocate is infamous around these partsDevils Advocate is infamous around these parts
Have you guys heard of Premier Protective film? These guys have a place in LA and a place in the northern part of Cali. They are charging $500+ for the job. They described the tint as having nano-technology and which blocks 90% of IR. They do high end cars, so I'm not sure if it's the real deal or not.
they are the realest of deals. They are board sponsors here, and most(if not all) high-end shops out-source to them for wraps, tints, and clear-bras. There are a plethora of threads on here, with oodles of pictures, detailing their work in progress and finished product. I plan to let them and only them touch my future cars(my current one was done before I knew of them) while I'm on the west coast.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:50 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pepper1
The Huber Optik nano ceramic tint is very good and lives up to its reputation of blocking out IR. I have it and glad I do. Would recommend it highly.
Huper Optik is a great choice but it's a thicker film and you should find a really good installer for it. BTW, it takes a long time (3 to 4 weeks) for all the bubbles to disappear. I've had it on two p-cars. Currently using a Formula One ceramic Pinnacle - great product.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:56 PM
AgentSteel is infamous around these parts
The guy that installed my tint (SunTec Carbon) used a heatgun gently to soften the tint material and literally mashed the tint onto the little dots. They said to push them from the center of the window out to the edge, and honestly in some spots it looks good and others not so good, but adequate. If i had to do it again, I would shave the dots off until there is a clean edge. As noted earlier, make sure the tint goes all the way to the top of the side windows. If you run a radar detector it may pay to go either ceramic or carbon tint not a metallic since it can interfere with electromagnetics. As others have said investigate and go to a reputable place and pay a little more to get it done right.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:44 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
Yep, go to Premier. I have sent two cars from Reno to Fremont because they are that good.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:56 PM
gradyex is infamous around these partsgradyex is infamous around these parts
Had Premier do my tint. The car is 4 years old and no issues. Highly recommend them.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:38 AM
WFO_Racer is infamous around these parts
Forgive the stupid question, what is the purpose of these "dots"?

Old 07-14-2011, 05:45 AM
Marco997TT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Huper Optik is a great choice but it's a thicker film and you should find a really good installer for it. BTW, it takes a long time (3 to 4 weeks) for all the bubbles to disappear. I've had it on two p-cars. Currently using a Formula One ceramic Pinnacle - great product.
+1 more on Huper Optik, great product, have it on mine, chose the 40% film, however it does not look that dark, a bit subtle, took about 3 weeks to dry, settled nicely with the dots

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Window Tinting Do's and Don't