997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Europipe stage 2 drone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:28 PM
HpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond repute
Europipe stage 2 drone

Everyone here seems to be very high on the EP product so I am considering it for a first mod. I asked Stef why they don't recommend the louder stage 2 for a 997.1 tiptronic and he advised there was drone from 2k-2600 rpm..which is a range where you find the tip car a lot in normal driving. My question is has anyone on the board put the stage 2 on a tip car and, if so, is it bearable? I don't daily drive the thing so I may just live with it but want to hear the thing first or get some feedback.

Also thinking about a Fabspeed X-pipe style as like it a little louder...but I assume that will be worse in terms of drone. Anyone with experience please set me straight here.

Also, are there any sound blips of the EP stage 2..I couldn't find one on EP's site.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:47 PM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
two friends of mine are running with stage2 on modified tip cars and both are very happy.

I would say sound of tip car is so boring I mean it's like rubber from the panties so it needs more aggressive exhaust like europipe stage 2.

Last edited by 997 GT3 RS/TT; 07-14-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:49 PM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
this is one of those cars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StfkxdU91qI

Old 07-13-2011, 04:02 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by HpizKing
Everyone here seems to be very high on the EP product so I am considering it for a first mod. I asked Stef why they don't recommend the louder stage 2 for a 997.1 tiptronic and he advised there was drone from 2k-2600 rpm..which is a range where you find the tip car a lot in normal driving. My question is has anyone on the board put the stage 2 on a tip car and, if so, is it bearable? I don't daily drive the thing so I may just live with it but want to hear the thing first or get some feedback.

Also thinking about a Fabspeed X-pipe style as like it a little louder...but I assume that will be worse in terms of drone. Anyone with experience please set me straight here.

Also, are there any sound blips of the EP stage 2..I couldn't find one on EP's site.
There is a 997.1 with EP2 on TPCracing 997TTbblitzkreig light Europipe ehaust idling and revving (gold porsche) and this is with a warmed engine so sound is great.. The EP1 sound on the EPsite at idle is a cold start sound which imo is not so pleasant. I get no drone from my EP1 (manual), but as you say Stef says the EP2 because of the larger pipes (deeper tone) can give drone, he should be able to tell you about the real-world predicable-level too if you press him enough. I would think it would be low. There are a few 6-speeders with EP2 that should have reported on this "drone", if any, which should be in the historical archives.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:25 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by Casey@TPCRacing
yeah we have a lot of videos of the EP2... never heard one on a tip though so i cant comment.
What you say about mystical EP2-drone with the manual. Seems like lugging in manual 5th or 6th should be the same as the auto-tranny when the slush box goes into the lock-in converter or when the engine is going too slow for car speed and refuses to downshift.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Casey@TPCRacing
It is definitely louder than stock but not obnoxious... I can be sitting at my desk and hear a europiped 997TT fire up and immediately know what it is... just a little bit of turbo whirring and that tinny rumble when the car is cold. That video I did a long time ago of the gold one on youtube was recorded w/some decent equipment so if you have nice speakers it is a good representation of the car. However, exhaust sound and suspension firmness are some of the most subjective aspects of the aftermarket industry... so i recommend finding someone local to you and having a go!
But question is still unanswered, porsche turbo 997.1 or .2, with manual transmission, is there drone with EP2 ??

Old 07-13-2011, 11:46 PM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
If you have to ask about drone, then stay with EP1. Everything about its looks, sound and performance is world class. Systems with 70+ mm pipes after catalytic converters will drone significantly more. EP1 is perfect for sensitive ears.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:04 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Buy the EP2L. You will regret anything else (except a custom EP prototype )

Old 07-14-2011, 06:12 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Another vote for the 2, I have th ep1, love it, could easily bump up on the noise scale a few notches.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:46 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnww
But question is still unanswered, porsche turbo 997.1 or .2, with manual transmission, is there drone with EP2 ??
I've had lots of exhuast systems over the years and they all have some sort of resonance - the question becomes is the resonance (drone) obnoxious. Even Corsa on an M5 droned and Corsa's claim to fame is no drone. B&B are the worst I've ever had both on a 350Z and a C6 but both were automatic transmissions. I'm on my second 997.1 TT, manual transmission and both have had EP2 installed. I drive highway speed 50 miles a day and at steady rpm in 5th or 6th there is drone but not obnoxious and I can still hear my radio and talk on the phone. I absolutely love the sound of the EP2 - I guess you figured that out since I'm on my second system. Drone to you may be different than drone to me (it's like tire noise) but I'm satisfied with the EP2.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:11 AM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
I have EP2 with TPC headers. Very happy. Is there a noise that could be called "drone" at a certain RPM range? Probably. But its not annoying, only mildly different/worse that stock, and the rest is much better. It also seems like its either gone away with a couple k miles, or I'm not noticing it. Definitely a non-issue at hwy cruising speed.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:15 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
My stock exhaust had more drone at 70 mph than either the cargraphic or EP1.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:30 AM
take stage 2 you will leave open door for future turbos tuning....

Old 07-14-2011, 10:37 PM
HpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond reputeHpizKing has a reputation beyond repute
Great input

Thanks for the input...and especially to 997 GT3 RS/TT for the EP2 video...I know the EP1 is too polite for my taste so it will be EP2 if I go EP.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:53 AM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HpizKing
Thanks for the input...and especially to 997 GT3 RS/TT for the EP2 video...I know the EP1 is too polite for my taste so it will be EP2 if I go EP.
Either one would be excellent choices as both are extremely well engineered and manufactured to give genuine performance improvements, even without a tune. Based on your above comment I'm guessing you've driven a tip with EP1? Its no mouse when you get up it. As you've mentioned drone as an issue, if you haven't then it would certainly pay too before taking the EP2 plunge (imho). On all acounts EP2 is an awsome system but as Stef himself says, where drone is concerned it's not for everyone. For me, if the EP1 was any less "polite" there could well be problems particularly as a DD. Take that to the bank. And learning to "live with something" like drone has its price at one point .

Last edited by speed21; 07-15-2011 at 12:57 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Europipe stage 2 drone