997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Ouch! That's Racing....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
Speedy is right...I hope no damage to motor internals.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Serpentene
Speedy is right...I hope no damage to motor internals.
Yes, me too! We are going to open the motor and have a good look. I just hope this thing doesn't get anymore out of hand than it already is....but I don't get to vote on that at this point either....Wish me luck. Best,

Old 07-20-2011, 04:00 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steamboat
Yes, me too! We are going to open the motor and have a good look. I just hope this thing doesn't get anymore out of hand than it already is....but I don't get to vote on that at this point either....Wish me luck. Best,

the metal debris from the turbos should have been trapped somewhat inside your intercoolers. Those intercoolers acted like filters in a sense that is why they are likely shot. You might ask them to look inside your throttle body and intake for signs of metallic dust. I would also try to change your oil immediately upon reassembly and then within another 50 miles or so just to make sure as much debris as possible has been flushed out of the engine

Old 07-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Going back on topic, I found that BorgWarner reports that their gasoline VTG turbochargers are tolerant of tempreatures to 850C. It would have been interesting to see what the EGTs were with Steamboat's EVOMSit tune, in high ambient temps, 600 cell exhaust, and 91 octane.
Yes one can only imagine...and well beyond the threshold.

Yes, me too! We are going to open the motor and have a good look.
If they plan re-using pistons and exhaust valves id be having more than just a good look. To be honest this engine is a job for CMS or Todd K. Once you open a motor that has been subjected to these conditions it really becomes a matter of where do you you stop. Just taking a head off without pushing a piston or two out and checking valve seats isn't going to do much. And then you've got to know what to look for.

Originally Posted by eclou
the metal debris from the turbos should have been trapped somewhat inside your intercoolers. Those intercoolers acted like filters in a sense that is why they are likely shot. You might ask them to look inside your throttle body and intake for signs of metallic dust. I would also try to change your oil immediately upon reassembly and then within another 50 miles or so just to make sure as much debris as possible has been flushed out of the engine
Eclou, sadly to report an intercooler does not share the same efficiency as an air filter. If only it did. Same applies to the contaminants in the oil system. An oil filter will only do so much. Once any material of this nature enters the oil galleries it tears at the bearings so a full stripdown is required to correct. PS don't forget your oil cooler. A failure of this nature usually progresses at a rate where material winds up in places it doesn't belong....and i imagine the engine wasn't just switched off and never restarted after the catastrophic failure of the turbochargers.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:04 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by speed21
Eclou, sadly to report an intercooler does not share the same efficiency as an air filter. If only it did. Same applies to the contaminants in the oil system. An oil filter will only do so much. Once any material of this nature enters the oil galleries it tears at the bearings so a full stripdown is required to correct. PS don't forget your oil cooler. A failure of this nature usually progresses at a rate where material winds up in places it doesn't belong....and i imagine the engine wasn't just switched off and never restarted after the catastrophic failure of the turbochargers.

tears are forming in my eyes. Such a painful thought

Old 07-20-2011, 06:34 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
tears are forming in my eyes. Such a painful thought
Not really. In my game I'm numb to these things. These are jobs.

Ahhh...the joys of motoring.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:25 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by speed21
Not really. In my game I'm numb to these things. These are jobs.

Ahhh...the joys of motoring.
Agreed. Let me see the things I can be thankful about:
1) No one was hurt!
2) It's just a car.....it can be repaired, albeit at a cost.
3) I went into this with eyes wide open; no blame on anyone, **** happens.
4) I'm not a "wrench" guy. Perhaps if I had been, I would have asked different questions at the outset. Some lessons in life are more expensive to learn than others.
5) Everyone with a stake in this is stepping up.......what a good community. I think there will ultimately be a good outcome.
6)All the advice and diagnostics that this board has provided is amazing. I wish I had been exposed to it earlier. That said, I'm very pleased to learn it now.

Thanks everyone!!!

PS The guys working on this are world class good. We'll get through this.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Banned
Agreed. Let me see the things I can be thankful about:
1) No one was hurt!
2) It's just a car.....it can be repaired, albeit at a cost.
3) I went into this with eyes wide open; no blame on anyone, **** happens.
4) I'm not a "wrench" guy. Perhaps if I had been, I would have asked different questions at the outset. Some lessons in life are more expensive to learn than others.
5) Everyone with a stake in this is stepping up.......what a good community. I think there will ultimately be a good outcome.
6)All the advice and diagnostics that this board has provided is amazing. I wish I had been exposed to it earlier. That said, I'm very pleased to learn it now.

Thanks everyone!!!

PS The guys working on this are world class good. We'll get through this.
Good attitude steamboat. We all make mistakes at one point.
PS As your engine is coming apart, living in your parts i'd very seriously consider using an outfit like CMS/Proto and optimise the match of IC's Turbos exhaust and tune even if it costs a bit more. That way you can go to the track with confidence knowing youll be driving your car home.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:47 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Steamboat,
if your engine is being disassembled it might be something to consider upgrading the internals while you are already paying for the labour. That way if you decide to increase power later you already have the ability to go as crazy as you want with turbo mods b/c the engine has been reinforced. I realize it's a slippery slope and the money drain could go on and on but I believe the labour cost is the biggest component of an engine teardown on this car so may as well get something out of it. Just a thought. I like your attitude about this whole thing, all the best of luck to you.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:33 PM
GEO 450 is infamous around these parts
Dean,

That really sucks to hear about your Turbo, glad no one was hurt. Good luck with the repairs and rebuild.

And thanks for all the help you gave me at my first DE a month ago, it was very much appreciated.

Dean, Guards Red 07 997TT

Old 07-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by GEO 450
Dean,

That really sucks to hear about your Turbo, glad no one was hurt. Good luck with the repairs and rebuild.

And thanks for all the help you gave me at my first DE a month ago, it was very much appreciated.

Dean, Guards Red 07 997TT
Thanks and you're welcome. I'll see you back at HPR sometime soon! Best,

Old 09-11-2011, 06:45 PM
As an update......We've been working with Evolution Motorsports and have decided to significantly upgrade the car during the upcoming rebuild. This will include from them:
  • 775 Software upgrade,
  • Clubsport Headers,
  • 70mm High Flow Exhaust (Fabspeed), 200 cell cats,
  • Upgraded Boost Hoses,
  • Clubsport Intercoolers,
  • EVT 700 Turbos,
  • Competition Plenum,
  • GT3 Throttle Body,
  • Billet Throttle Body Connector,
  • GT2 High Flow Y-Pipe,
  • Sachs Stage 3 Clutch,
  • Carillo Connecting Rods (yes, we bent one of the oem ones),
  • Strengthened 10mm Head Studs,
  • New Bearings throughout motor (some of those were toast too),
  • High Flow Turbo Inlet Ducts,
  • Lightweight, strengthened Crank Pulley and
  • High Energy Discharge Coils.
Evolution has been great to work with and have collaborated extensively with us. The rebuild, which is being done locally with Evoms blessing, should be complete in a week or 10 days. Our best guess as to what transpired is that a turbo impeller shaft failed which caused the resultant havoc. Too many possible root causes to speculate.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting back into the game and ideling down from doing more than my fair share to stimulate the economy. Any question or observations? Your observations and advice are always appreciated. Best,

Old 09-11-2011, 06:56 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
As an update......We've been working with Evolution Motorsports and have decided to significantly upgrade the car during the upcoming rebuild. This will include from them:
  • 775 Software upgrade,
  • Clubsport Headers,
  • 70mm High Flow Exhaust (Fabspeed), 200 cell cats,
  • Upgraded Boost Hoses,
  • Clubsport Intercoolers,
  • EVT 700 Turbos,
  • Competition Plenum,
  • GT3 Throttle Body,
  • Billet Throttle Body Connector,
  • GT2 High Flow Y-Pipe,
  • Sachs Stage 3 Clutch,
  • Carillo Connecting Rods (yes, we bent one of the oem ones),
  • Strengthened 10mm Head Studs,
  • New Bearings throughout motor (some of those were toast too),
  • High Flow Turbo Inlet Ducts,
  • Lightweight, strengthened Crank Pulley and
  • High Energy Discharge Coils.
Evolution has been great to work with and have collaborated extensively with us. The rebuild, which is being done locally with Evoms blessing, should be complete in a week or 10 days. Our best guess as to what transpired is that a turbo impeller shaft failed which caused the resultant havoc. Too many possible root causes to speculate.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting back into the game and ideling down from doing more than my fair share to stimulate the economy. Any question or observations? Your observations and advice are always appreciated. Best,
Great update.

If I'm not mistaken, the GT2 Y pipe has the same part number as the 997TT Y pipe (997 110 646 72 and 73.) If you are looking for more flow, maybe aftermarket?

b

Old 09-11-2011, 07:29 PM
salerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud ofsalerno713 has much to be proud of
Nice set-up; any idea of how one of the rods bent?

Old 09-11-2011, 07:51 PM
GT-TT is infamous around these partsGT-TT is infamous around these parts
just saw this tread. Interesting as same VTG failure happened to me in the past. Nothing happened to the engine but the damage i had was exhaust, cats, bumper and of course VTGs (in my case they were tuned VTGs).
One piece of advise since I did most of the things mentioned in your list, you should discuss cams and ported heads. In my car they made considerable power. I am running 740 euro hp and the cams/ ported heads gave around 50hp and more effective power band. It would be such a shame if they did not do that as you are opening the engine..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ouch! That's Racing....