997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Ouch! That's Racing....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Ouch! That's Racing....

Yesterday, in 101 degree heat, as I was trying to "win" my first DE by driving Flat Out (just kidding) I was accelerating onto the long straightaway at about 100mph, when I felt what seemed to be a misfire.........Oh, if it were only that simple.

Looking in my mirrors, there was a large cloud of white smoke so I got off the racing line, put it in neutral and coasted to a safe stop. The fire crew was there in a heartbeat and took control. No fluids on the track, car idled fine but there was this problem of the smoke.........oh, yes. and the 5 foot flame from the exhaust that the onlookers said was really impressive!!

Call the flatbed and take it to Denver. Diagnosis this AM is a blown (disintegrated) turbo with the other not far behind, munched intercooler, shot exhaust system, etc. etc. $10,000 ++ repair bill.

Good news, if you can call it that, is I'll end up with bigger turbos, better intercoolers and a fabspeed exhaust - none of which were in the plan but are now. The slippery slope now owns me!!

So what part of racing Porsche's...........

Old 07-18-2011, 09:01 PM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Ouch indeed!
Good thing there's a silver lining!

Old 07-18-2011, 09:15 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Aw crap! Any of these aftermarket bits or OEM? Any idea what caused it?

Old 07-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bonehead
Aw crap! Any of these aftermarket bits or OEM? Any idea what caused it?
All oem......nothing definitive re: cause. Probably a combination of temps, modified boost, and race conditions. I'm working with Evoms for replacement parts and consideration and will try to put an "integrated system" that matches the tune (or allows it to grow) from what I now have. Do you have any insights or thoughts I should be aware of? I'm thinking of the 70mm Sport Exhaust w/ HF Cats, Clubsport Intercoolers, and the EVG Billet VTG Turbos. Thanks, appreciate your advice. Best,

Old 07-18-2011, 11:49 PM
floridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud offloridaBMW has much to be proud of
Ew that's bad news, sorry man. Is ur car warranty in play here or are u writing that off due to tune and DE event?

Ken

Old 07-19-2011, 07:03 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steamboat
Yesterday, in 101 degree heat, as I was trying to "win" my first DE by driving Flat Out (just kidding) I was accelerating onto the long straightaway at about 100mph, when I felt what seemed to be a misfire.........Oh, if it were only that simple.

Looking in my mirrors, there was a large cloud of white smoke so I got off the racing line, put it in neutral and coasted to a safe stop. The fire crew was there in a heartbeat and took control. No fluids on the track, car idled fine but there was this problem of the smoke.........oh, yes. and the 5 foot flame from the exhaust that the onlookers said was really impressive!!

Call the flatbed and take it to Denver. Diagnosis this AM is a blown (disintegrated) turbo with the other not far behind, munched intercooler, shot exhaust system, etc. etc. $10,000 ++ repair bill.

Good news, if you can call it that, is I'll end up with bigger turbos, better intercoolers and a fabspeed exhaust - none of which were in the plan but are now. The slippery slope now owns me!!

So what part of racing Porsche's...........
Wow sorry to hear that, but luckily it wasn't the engine so that's a save. PM me when you decide to do the Exhaust on it and I will help you with any questions you have and hopefully get you into a nice setup for the new Turbo's and Intercooler. I will also make a nice member discount on the setup when you are ready.
thanks,

Old 07-19-2011, 08:19 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Would love to find out exactly what went wrong. Im wondering if you ran a high flow exhaust vs. the stock exhaust if it would have helped? With being flashed and all which would add some stress to the stock converters especially.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
I think it is very important for us as a community to figure out what led to this failure. From your post and sig line I would gather:

1) you are at high altitude - less density for the intake charge
2) in the Colorado area you get 91 octane max
3) you have a 997.1 GT1 motor
4) you have an ECU flash
5) you were running a stock exhaust
6) this happened under high load - accelerating and high atmospheric temps

My guess would be heat related failure of the turbo - flashing the ECU without reducing exhaust backpressure is a risk I did not want to take. The flashed ECU's allow more boost and thus will generate more heat and higher EGT's. The VTG turbos are fragile when it comes to high EGT's and the stock ECU is designed to pull boost when the EGT's get too high. A modded ECU may not be so stingy with the boost when the EGT's climb. Reduced backpressure from an aftermarket exhaust has been shown to reduce EGT considerably.

Things I'd like to find out:

1)how many miles on your turbo?
2)what kind of oil you were running?
3)what kind of fuel and any additives (octane boost)?
4)did you notice any higher temps on your oil or water gauges?
5)was the car running any different prior to failure?
6)what elevation were you at?

Old 07-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Jake's Oy is infamous around these partsJake's Oy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by eclou
I think it is very important for us as a community to figure out what led to this failure.
Good questions. As a new 07 turbo owner I found OP's experience to be very scary. 10k + in repairs wouldn't ruin me, but it wouldn't be pleasant.

I was toying with the idea of a flash, but now I'm extra scared 0_0;

Old 07-19-2011, 09:22 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Dont be too concerned with the flash + exhaust, there are probably more Turbos running around with this setup than stock ones.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:26 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I think it is very important for us as a community to figure out what led to this failure. From your post and sig line I would gather:

4) you have an ECU flash

My guess would be heat related failure of the turbo - flashing the ECU without reducing exhaust backpressure is a risk I did not want to take. The flashed ECU's allow more boost and thus will generate more heat and higher EGT's. The VTG turbos are fragile when it comes to high EGT's and the stock ECU is designed to pull boost when the EGT's get too high. A modded ECU may not be so stingy with the boost when the EGT's climb. Reduced backpressure from an aftermarket exhaust has been shown to reduce EGT considerably.

This is an excellent review and you are asking questions that I would also be asking before spending significant $$$ in aftermarket parts. Turbo failure is not very common, and it's probably important finding out why this problem happened.

A "blown" turbocharger isn't really a diagnosis...it is a symptom. Was the turbo mechanically faulty or were there factors that lead to its failure.

Did you have any datalogs of EGT, lambda, IAT and timing after flashing your ECU? Often times we (as consumers) purchase a flash for our car, impressed with the overall improvement on the street and the incredible dyno curve that the tuner publishes...but what happens to the ECU management lap after lap in high temperatures is another question. Were safety measures turned off on your tune? Was your ECU pulling timing or changing AFR to compensate for higher temperatures?

Old 07-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by floridaBMW
Ew that's bad news, sorry man. Is ur car warranty in play here or are u writing that off due to tune and DE event?

Ken
I think I'm SOL but don't have a final resolution as of now. Thanks,

Old 07-19-2011, 10:41 AM

4) you have an ECU flash

Eclou, Your first 6 points are all correct. To answer your questions; 1) 18,500 miles, 2. Mobil 1 0w-40w, 3. Pump gas, 91 octane, no additives, 4. Oil temp was 250-260, 5. Car was running very strong prior to incident although in a 2nd to 3rd gear uphill right hand sweeper I intermittently noticed a momentary miss which I attributed to low fuel starvation. The incident occurred mid way through the third, 30 minute session of the day. 6. Elevation ~ 5,500 ft. Hope that helps. Best,

Old 07-19-2011, 10:44 AM
monsoonmadness is infamous around these parts
hate when that happens

Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by bbywu
This is an excellent review and you are asking questions that I would also be asking before spending significant $$$ in aftermarket parts. Turbo failure is not very common, and it's probably important finding out why this problem happened.

A "blown" turbocharger isn't really a diagnosis...it is a symptom. Was the turbo mechanically faulty or were there factors that lead to its failure.

Did you have any datalogs of EGT, lambda, IAT and timing after flashing your ECU? Often times we (as consumers) purchase a flash for our car, impressed with the overall improvement on the street and the incredible dyno curve that the tuner publishes...but what happens to the ECU management lap after lap in high temperatures is another question. Were safety measures turned off on your tune? Was your ECU pulling timing or changing AFR to compensate for higher temperatures?
BBYWU, I'm going to have to plead ignorance......I'm not familiar with most of those acronyms and don't know how the flash may have affected them. Also, I don't know if safety measures were turned off although assurances were given that the flash was compatible with oem parts and knowing that it would see track time. Best,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ouch! That's Racing....